News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pub Sing songs

Started by moose, August 09, 2009, 05:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

If anyone was there yesterday (8/8/09) & at the pub sing - what was the last song the troupe sung? It was just after the queen spoke, and one of the characters suggested they sing one last song of the sea. I have the tune in my head, but can't recall the lyrics. I have heard it performed there before. Thanks.

Aaroncois

Ha! I know exactly the song, because I asked this selfsame question here just a week or two ago. It's the Mingulay Boat Song. Apparently Barby Holder does a rendition of it on one of her albums, but it's not on the Sterling Pubsong CD (which is about 15 years old, now).

Lord Finger

This version seems to be either Sterling's or Barby Holder's, whichever came first. I don't know where else to find it but Barby's CD "Haunt Me Forever", which I recommend highly. Now that I think of it, the Stirling final pub sing adds a last verse not heard anywhere else.

I don't know where else to find Barby's stuff but I believe she's on Facebook and she has a web page here: http://prweb0.voicenet.com/~gehlingw/record.htm

The other option is to track her down at PARF this year.

BrotherBarnabus

I think it's actually Jim Hancock's song, as I've heard it several times on the Renaissance Festival Music Podcast.

Barnabus

Capt. Morgan

http://www.chivalry.com/cantaria/lyrics/mingulay.htm

After the woman who played Queen Liz I passed away several years ago (God Rest you, Baj) the closing Pub Song switched from "Aulde Lang Syne" to "Mingulay Boat Song". I guess to pass the crown from one Queen to another to make it her own. I love both songs and I dearly miss the Pub Sing at Sterling for I've always held that to be the epitome of Pub Sings...even if my pile of rocks are gone...*sigh*....

There was a wonderful CD sold at Sterling called "Together Forever, The Pub Songs of Warwickshire" that I always listen to on my way to Faire. I don't even know if it's still being sold...but if you can get your hands on that...it's just like being at Faire!
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Aaroncois

Quote from: Capt. Morgan on August 10, 2009, 08:06:23 AM
There was a wonderful CD sold at Sterling called "Together Forever, The Pub Songs of Warwickshire" that I always listen to on my way to Faire. I don't even know if it's still being sold...but if you can get your hands on that...it's just like being at Faire!

Yeah, we talked about that a bit in another thread. It's a great CD and it definitely is still for sale in the Remembrance Shoppe (along with a booklet for $5 that details some of the history of Warwickshire and contains the sheet music for most of the songs on the CD). It's 15 years old now so it's not quite the same as the current pubsing, but it's still a nice way to escape to the faire during off-season or anytime.

Tazworth

Do a Youtube or regular web search for Mingulay Boat Song. There are several performers who do this song. Poxy Boggards are the first that come to mind.
Brett aka Tazworth
Founder of Family of Faire

Lord Finger

A video of Auld Lang Syne and the Mingulay Boat Song from one of the final pub sings last year.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=40819996

IndeanaSunday

Here is the version that we sing at Sterling. Forgive me my lack of capitalization (and any typos I missed) as my battery is dying!

Heel ya ho boys
let her go boys
heave her head round
into the weather
heel ya ho boys
let her go boys
sailing homeward to mingulay

What care we though
white the minch is
what care we for
wind or weather
let her go boys
every inch is
sailing homeward
to mingulay

Heel ya ho boys
let her go boys
heave her head round
into the weather
heel ya ho boys
let her go boys

Wives are waiting
by the pierhead
or looking seaward
from the heather
pull her round boys
and we'll anchor
ere the sun sets
on mingulay

Heel ya ho boys
let her go boys
heave her head round
into the weather
heel ya ho boys
let her go boys

Ships return now
heavy laden
mothers holding
bairnes a-cryin'
they'll return though
ere the sun sets
they'll return
to mingulay

Heel ya ho boys
let her go boys
heave her head round
into the weather
heel ya ho boys
let her go boys

Heel ya ho boys
let her go boys
heave her head round
into the weather
heel ya ho boys
let her go boys

We're sailing homeward
to mingulay.

NicoleBridget

Oh, thanks for the lyrics!  I've always wondered what certain words were...I would always just sorta move my lips for the verses and then pick it up on the chorus  ;D

Aaroncois

Same here - thanks! It was driving me crazy that I didn't know this song.

MMario

As with most folk songs, you will find about umpty gazillion versions out there.  I know three or four myself.

BrotherBarnabus

My son has been collecting lyrics for folk, filk and parody songs for about 6 years now.  I've been thinking of posting them as a blog for practicing my own (currently weak) skills with WordPress.  Any interest here? (he says as he ducks under the table)

Barnabus

Aaroncois

I'd definitely give that a look.

MMario

Quote from: BrotherBarnabus on August 13, 2009, 01:35:04 PM
My son has been collecting lyrics for folk, filk and parody songs for about 6 years now. ...(snip)Any interest here?

always