News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

For holding feathers

Started by Auryn, August 12, 2009, 09:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

So I think this should be the ok place for this.
I am working on teaching myself millinery (limited teaching book selection at the library but thats what the internet is for).
Anyway, I know they make special metal caps that hold feathers in place and together but I have no idea what they are called or where I could get one.

Anybody know??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Taffy Saltwater

I've found them on eBay under "lapel vase".  Some people have been able to find them in the wedding departments of craft shops. 
Sveethot!

Margaret

I use metal cones called boutineer holders for my feathers.

You can get them at Michaels' Arts and Crafts in the bridal section.  I'm sure other hobby stores carry them as well.

~laughs~  Lookit Taffy!  Typing faster than me!!!   ;D
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I order these large Aglets or Tussles from www.pillagedvillage.com They can hold up to 3 plumes very handily.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Auryn

Ahhhh
you ladies are fantastic. You are like a endless fountain of knowledge.
Thank you for the information.

How do you get the plumage to stay put in the holders?? glue?, sewing?
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Margaret

The cones I have used are solid, so I just bind the feathers together and glue them in.

Make sure the glue you nab sticks to metal though!
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)