News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

MIRF SECURITY

Started by flidais, August 17, 2009, 09:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flidais

I was wondering if we had anyone here on the forum that is involved in security at MIRF.  Before I went to Bristol I checked out bristolboard.com and found some great info about how security and medical issues were handled.  Because I read that, while we were visiting we were able to help a lady that passed out in the Pig and Whistle.  Had I not read it, we wouldn't have known to keep our eye out for the guy with the flag. 

So, back to what I was trying to do here.....

Is there someone here on the forum that is on security or management even that could answer questions we have.  Like my question would be.....

What is the easiest way to find someone on security in an emergency situation??? 

Thank you

Thumper

I have a friend that works security.  Security members wear blue berets.  Most have a walkie talkies so they can quickly get medical personal if needed.

I can get more info from my friend for you if you need.

Lims

Yah - security all wear blue berets with a red base.  There are security members stationed all across the grounds and they have a certain patrol area.  I have yet to need one ( usually it was just so they could call someone on the walkie-talkies for something simple ) and not find one.

Good crew and good at their job.

Poldugarian Warrior

Yes, Blue Berets, and most have some sort of earpiece, and some of their clothing has blue and red mixed in for identification. Their not totally easy to make out, but that's so they can sort of lurk in the shadows and be ready at a moments notice if anything really serious were to happen. Towns watchmen/women if you will. few times because of all the weaponry and armor I wear and I drink,  they have come up from behind quickly and asked if I was peace-tied, and just asked how my day was going, because not only are they keeping an eye out for garbed patrons causing trouble with weapons they don't want non-garbed patrons picking on garbes patrons. I've had many young people and even adults come up and joke aroudn ask for the sword to be drawn and I decline and security is usually around looking to see what I or the people around me are going to do. I had one teenager while I had my Crusader helm on come up from behind and knock on my helmet, not hard, but it's stuff like that that security looks at and they want to know if those people have been harassing you all day or not. So be rest assured securiy is always around even if you don't see them they see you and they can be found at a moments notice. Sorry to ramble on, but I figured I'd like to put in a good word for our security at fest, I don't work it, But I see it's a tough job, and they make me feel safe enough to go in all my garb evry year and truly enjoy myself with out fear of being harassed of injured.

Margaret

Quote from: flidais on August 17, 2009, 09:07:13 AM

What is the easiest way to find someone on security in an emergency situation??? 

Yell 'Help' loudly if it's a question of your own personal safety or security.  Security will find you.  If you need to, get to a place that has a radio;  The Front Gate, the First Aid Station.  The Castle may have one as well. 

There are also security people stationed at every gate:  Know where those gates are, even though they are not for patron use.  There is a gate right across from the Mud Stage (it used to be called East Gate stage for a reason!  :D ), there is a gate right across from Ample and Trite's stage next to the food booths.  There is a gate back in the new Special Events area as well.

This is one thing I get adamant about.  In an emergency situation, to hell with 'staying in character' or 'breaking the illusion of faire'.  We play in a world where a man dressed as a pirate could toss a woman over his shoulder and carry her out to the parking lot and many people would get out of their way and take pictures while doing so because they think it's all part of 'the act'.  If your safety or someone elses is in jeapordy, scream to the highest heavens.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Lord Virgil

Margaret, why you gotta pick on us Pirates?... ;)  Just kiddin' you of course!

Seriously, that is a very good point you made.  With all the crazy stuff that goes on at faire, it would be very easy for a serious situation to be mistaken for something part of the fun.

As a long time patron, I make it my mission to keep an eye out for where security is in case someone needs help.  I would not hesitate to assist if asked, but would only step in on my own if it were a life and death situation, then hand it over to security as soon as they arrive. 

It's best to let them handle it unless there is no other option.  No one needs someone trying to be a hero making a bad situation worse.   

Nothing better in life than enjoying a pint amongst friends...Huzzah!

Margaret

Quote from: Lord Virgil on August 20, 2009, 09:51:58 AM
Margaret, why you gotta pick on us Pirates?... ;)  Just kiddin' you of course!

I pick on you pirates because you are so pick-on-able!!   :D

Another thing too - don't confuse the Queen's guards and others on cast with the security staff.  Yeah, they have pointy bits, but they are actors, not trained safety/security personel.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

flidais

They gave the First Aid station a nice fresh coat of white paint.  Very nice and findable!!!  And across from Things From Rings in case anyone doesn't know where First Aid is.  Look for bright yellow and red bridges and you'll find First Aid.

Lims

I worked with security hand in hand quite a bit in the last two years at the Guiness pub ( while I was in the cigar booth ).  I am a bartender in my mundane life and they knew they could count on me to point out patrons that were getting a little bit too inebriated.  There quite a few 'pub sings' ( the last music portion of the day ) where a good-natured ( but intoxicated ) patron was singled out simply to ensure that the fun was not ruined for many others by one person. 

Aside from the fact that I can't count how many times someone would be totally dehydrated on the warmer days ( alcohol, tight corsets and heat don't mix well ) and someone in a blue beret, white shirt and blue kilt would stop by almost immediately with a bottled water for them.    Most people think of security as 'fun police' in a bad way.  To me, it meant something very different.  They were there to help, but they were fun. :)

Oh yeah, speaking of which, I think almost every single one of them wore the obvious blue beret with a red band, but they all wore a white shirt and blue kilt.  Maybe that was just the handful of guys I dealt with most at the pub.  I'm not sure.

Lord Virgil

I agree 100% LIMS.  As I usually see it, the only people that have a problem with security are the problem people.  The MiRF security staff I've met are all very nice, polite, and efficient.  They are there to help, as well as keep the unruly from ruining someone else's day.   

I too help keep an eye at the pub sing at Admiral Morgan's request (you'll very oft see me sitting directly across from our Queen in the front row to protect her from idiots).  If someone approaches her majesty, a nod or head shake from the Admiral let's me know whether to block for her or not.   

Lims

I know exactly what you mean.  The good Admiral has given me a few of those nods before.

If we could only get the pub to sell what SHE drinks.  It is HER bar, after all....   :P

Poldugarian Warrior

Lord Virgil is absolutely right. Security is pretty cool, all I've ever had asked is if my weapons were peace-tied or real and not peace-tied when I carried plastic weapons with real looking hilts, they would keep an eye on me, and since there were no zip ties at that time they could'nt peace-tie them so they kept an eye on those around me to make sure they didn't pull my weapon. They knew I was goping to I'm there to have a good safe time I'm not looking for trouble I get enough headaches and trouble at work. I didn't even think of peace-tying a plastic, blade. But, as I've come to learn those wooden and plastic blades can be just as painful and put an eye out.

Lord Virgil

Quote from: Lims on August 21, 2009, 07:17:30 PM
I know exactly what you mean.  The good Admiral has given me a few of those nods before.

If we could only get the pub to sell what SHE drinks.  It is HER bar, after all....   :P

Seriously...would you really want a bunch of rum soaked pirates at the Pub?  Although I think it would be cool if they sold "Stella Artois" there...lol.

Lims

I think it could be fun with rum, yeah. :P  Stella, though?  Good beer.  I sell it on tap at my bar and I love it.  Only thing I really like better is Oberon.

Lord Virgil

the joke there of course is the fact that Admiral Morgan's real name is...