News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Whats in your Sewing Room?

Started by Genievea Brookstone, August 17, 2009, 05:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

operafantomet

Quote from: Lady Rosalind on August 18, 2009, 09:04:25 PM

I love my cube shelves! The fabric drawers hold my pattern collection, drafted patterns, and various sewing tools. For a small space, this is really the way to go.

I agree, they're very cool! And probably practical as well, as you can store a little in each, instead of a lot of different stuff in one big drawer.

As for MY sewing room.... Ha-ha-ha! I live in one room in total, so the sewing stuff is placed wherever there's room. I have SUCH a system on it, though, very tidy and organized. I HAVE to, seeing how crammed the space is... Fabrics and dresses are put in various boxes from Ikea. Some of these boxes fit into their Expedit shelf (which also function as a working table), while the bigger ones are placed on top of eachother. Ribbons and other "stash" is placed in even smaller boxes on top of my kitchen shelves.

I also have a mannequin in my apartment, and on it is always the project I'm working on. Guests always assume I place something fancy on it to show off, but it is mostly of practical reasons I have it there!

Artemisia

Quote from: Genievea Brookstone on August 18, 2009, 01:50:25 PM
So many ideas and inspiritions!  Thank you all that posted.
I confess Artemisia I peeked at your blogspot a while back and actually your new room design inspired me for mine :)

Yay! One more enabling point for me! It's tough trying to fit all that stuff in a small space. My new sewing room only has only 8.5' x 10' usable space. Did you see this "itsy-bitsy sewing room"?

I love my cube shelves! The fabric drawers hold my pattern collection, drafted patterns, and various sewing tools. For a small space, this is really the way to go.

Glad to know I'm on the right track. I've planned for one or two of these in my new plan. I've only heard good things about these shelves.
Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: Artemisia on August 19, 2009, 08:32:42 AM
Quote from: Genievea Brookstone on August 18, 2009, 01:50:25 PM
So many ideas and inspiritions!  Thank you all that posted.
I confess Artemisia I peeked at your blogspot a while back and actually your new room design inspired me for mine :)

Yay! One more enabling point for me! It's tough trying to fit all that stuff in a small space. My new sewing room only has only 8.5' x 10' usable space. Did you see this "itsy-bitsy sewing room"?

Glad to know I'm on the right track. I've planned for one or two of these in my new plan. I've only heard good things about these shelves.

Thanks for the link to the itsy-bitsy sewing room. Lots of ideas there! (LOL, my sewing room is 8" x 8.5", and I have a small fabric addiction that was only kept under control this summer by the fact that I was moving.)

Artemisia

Quote from: Lady Rosalind on August 19, 2009, 09:14:17 AM
Thanks for the link to the itsy-bitsy sewing room. Lots of ideas there! (LOL, my sewing room is 8" x 8.5", and I have a small fabric addiction that was only kept under control this summer by the fact that I was moving.)

I was just about to ask you about your space size. Yes, fabric addiction comes part-and-parcel with our lot.

I just changed my design plan. It goes back to my original idea to use the capabilities of the fold-up cutting table and have even more table space. I still have to think about fabric storage, a place for a computer and ironing board. Not done with this design yet.

If you need sturdy, well-built tables I recommend Lifetime utility tables. They have a free shipping offer now. http://www.buylifetime.com/Products/BLT/Tables/Default.aspx  Also the ones sold by Wally-mart aren't bad either.

More pics of garb-sewing rooms please. I need more ideas!
Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Kate XXXXXX

Himself is on record as saying that I no longer have a sewing room - we live in a sewing house!

When we had the conservatory/garden room rebuilt, not only was space made for the boys to do their model making, space was also made for my kitchen cupboard overspill, the fridge-freezer, feeezer, washer and dryer were plumbed in, we had a large sink fitted, and a breakfast bar added.  I use this for cutting out, and can erect extra space when needed for larger items.  There is also space for a sewing machine table to be set up if one is needed down there.  This is usually only required when we are fettling old machines...  Or I'm making something too large to be accommodated in the sewing room itself.  I also have space there for the iron and ironing board.  There are 13 double sockets above the benches and on the walls, and a few more hidden ones for the appliances!

This shows the long table set up for cutting out:

And one the other way... 

The sewing room itself houses a large number of books, the spare bed, most of the sewing machines, and a heap of sewing supplies.  It's a tad crowded, but I try to keep it tidy!

Books:

Bed!

Sewing benches:

A few more stacked machines...

Thread storage:

More storage:  I have several stacks of baskets organized like this:

The great thing is that with two on casters, I can move them about and use them as extra cutting space, sewing support areas, for the mini ironing board, or as an extra sewing machine bench.

I should take a few more recent pix of the place in tidy and usable mode...

Genievea Brookstone

Kate,

I lived in Thetford England for 4 yrs and I cannot imagine how you have so much room in your house!! We were lucky to even get our king size bed up the stairs and into the bedroom hehehe

Great job!
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Kate XXXXXX

The answer is 'with difficulty'!

The conservatory is the largest room in the house, being about 23 feet long and 9.8 wide...  The living room is about 19' by 12.5', the kitchen 17 long by almost six wide, and the dining room is 10.5 by 11.5 (ish).

The sewing room is the same size and shape as the dining room, being right above it.  There is very little wasted space, and the loft is the same area as the ground floor. though tent-shaped, so is fantastic storage space.  While I am a serious squirrel and hoard all sorts of things I shouldn't, I am fairly well organized and a childhood of moving house means I'm good at packing a lot into a small space.

I do admit to being a little short of storage space.

These are some of the boxes of stash:

Pattern stash...  There are now 12 red boxes, a grey one, and several shoe boxes.

Fabric boxes:

There are 57 large boxes and about 20 smaller ones, plus a basket of rolls...  They live in the loft.

NicoleBridget

I'm so glad you asked because we FINALLY finished my sewing room overhaul!  I wanted it to be functional AND inspirational hence the "castle" theming.  These pictures were taken after a cleaning and it should be noted that when I'm mid-project...it gets completely trashed.  This small room is such a luxury because before we bought this house I just did my sewing in the dining room. 

View from the doorway

Sewing/craft table.  The dresser that the printer is on holds some patterns and ren underwear (bumrolls, chemises, bloomers, etc)

Window and ren jewelry armoire

Fabric stash and jewelry armoire again.  I have some tall rolls of fabric too but they're stuffed in another corner.

Cabinet for some garb (mostly just accessories though) and some dresses in containers up top.

Another cabinet alongside for sewing & crafting stuff.

And my tapestry to round out the "castle" feel.

Lady Rebecca

^That is so beautiful! Whenever I finally get a sewing room, I think I may be using yours for inspiration. It's like something you would see on a design show!

Alisoun

I have sewing room envy--your space is gorgeous!
"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." --William James

Lady Kett

These are all so nifty. I can't even sew on a button without messing it up but now I want a sewing room because it looks fun!

ladydiwinter

You mean you are suppose to have a whole room for sewing??  ??? I have a 4 bed room home with just the two of us. I could use the computer room, or one of the two rooms down stairs (we have a split level). But then I couldn't use the satalite or DVD player unless I disconnect my little tv upstairs and bring it down. Maybe when flat screens fall drasticly in price I can afford to get one and move my large tv into the basement for a sewing room. For now, the kitchen and living room works fine. If I ever get around to organize a whole room for sewing I'll post some pics. Everyone else makes me so jealous!
We can't stop here...this is bat country!
I want my junior mints, where did the junior mints go in the Movies.

operafantomet

NicoleBridget, that is gorgeous! I would definitely be inspired in those surroundings. I especially love the colour of the wall and the Tudor/Elizabeth portraits!

Tammy

NicoleBridget, is that a wallpaper on your walls??? I absolutely LOVE your sewing room!!

I also adore how everyone has used their space so well!! I have to sew on a utility table in the middle of my kitchen...and my dad HATES it!! He sleeps during the day, as he works third shift...I work 2nd shift...so I either sew at night, or during the day. The kitchen is beside his bedroom...so he can hear the machine if he's not sleeping heavy.

All my goodies (cloth, machine, thread, etc) is stored at the top or bottom of my closet when not in use. The table is folded down, and propped up in the enclosed backporch.
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Genievea Brookstone

Oh NicoleBridget....

I believe I have found my Ah ha! moment.  Beautiful room to be inspired and to daydream!
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods