News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What Royal this year?

Started by Lady Elizabeth Howard, August 20, 2009, 06:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Elizabeth Howard

I help organize a trip to Kansas City Renaissance Festival along with a couple other students and teachers for our school. I attended my freshmen year, fell in love. Came back in costume and after you do that everyone expects you to know everything. I have had a few of my friends asked me who was going to be ruling over the court. And since it changes I did not know what to say. I searched to website and couldn't find out. If someone could tell me that would be amazing. Can't wait to come back this year. It is the highlight of my year. And when else do you get to dress like a Tudor noble.
Elizabeth

Butch

Here's a link to the sub-sub page:
http://www.kcrenfest.com/Performer/2009CourtPage.htm

Our Court Lineage
Our Year is 1547

Edward Plantagenet Earl of Warwiick, Born 1475
(Historical) King's Grandfather

Joanna Queen of Castile, Born 1479
(Historical) queen's grandmother

Maximilian of Castile, Born 1494 (Fictional)

Married Early 1507 to Abella of Castile, Born 1493 (fictional)

***MORE AT THE LINK***

Lady Elizabeth Howard

Thank you very much. That will help me answer that question to my questioning buzzard like friends. Must be why I love them. Debators.
Elizabeth

kcdcchef

seems like a different king and queen than last season. all i can do is hope. last years royalty was a real letdown from queen elizabeth the previous two seasons, she was tremendous.

Butch

The last year's queen performer is this year's queen performer.  That is, 2008's Queen Anne Boleyn was portrayed by Portia Bowers, and this year's Queen Isabella is portrayed by Portia Bowers.

Here's a link to the cast list:
http://www.kcrenfest.com/Performer/2009CastList.html

kcdcchef

Quote from: Butch on August 24, 2009, 09:24:57 AM
The last year's queen performer is this year's queen performer.  That is, 2008's Queen Anne Boleyn was portrayed by Portia Bowers, and this year's Queen Isabella is portrayed by Portia Bowers.

Here's a link to the cast list:
http://www.kcrenfest.com/Performer/2009CastList.html

a different king then?

Butch

Yes!

It'll be fun no matter what!  I'm gonna have a full day!  Thanks a lot for the recommendation of the human chess match, and the info on the pub sing!  I'll be grooving on both of those!

I can't wait!  The Sunday after next will be FULL!

LadyElizabeth

So, the royal court is fictious assuming someone else won the war of the roses and the plantagenet line continued??  I read thru the website, but it was still a bit confusing...  I've never even heard of anyone doing a fictious court like this!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Lady Elizabeth Howard

We had never heard of it either. But we took it as after the reign of Henry VIII, this monarch succeeded insteaded of Prince Edward. I believe it says it on the site somewhere. And while we were a little confused at the choice of a fictious court we could hardly judge, because we as well have added ourseleves into the Howard Clan.

Butch

Well, the way they explained it at the start of the Living History Tour went something like this:  King Henry VIII had just passed away.  While Edward is the REAL king of England, he was unable to attend this modest harvest faire in Canterbury.  Therefore, an HARVEST King and Queen were selected.  Our guide told us (quite confidentially) that the harvest king and queen were letting their aristocracy go to their heads, and even though everyone knew they WEREN'T the true monarchs, they should be treated as if they were.

So, I hope that helps with your preparation!

Definitely sign up for the living history tour, I'm certain your students will get something out of it!

kcdcchef

we have had real royalty some years. we had queen elizabeth in 2005,2006, and 2007. they tend to rotate a lot. which, most seasons i absolutely love.

the neatest thing for me with the monarchy is seeing the royals playing other parts in ensuing seasons.

LadyElizabeth

I came the final year of your QE1 and she was magnificent.  I wasn't able to attend last year with the Anne Boleyn or probably this year either, but I will be up there probably in all subsequent years.  My mom is planning on moving back to Kansas and buy a house there, so we'll very likely come up for KCRF to attend with her.  I truly adore KCRF and do wish I could come more often, but Houston TX is a super long ways from there!!

I'd love to hear ya'lls opinion of the court once you have attended!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Red the pirate

Lady Elizabeth Howard

Aww I envy. Houston is my hometown and I am stuck here in MO. I have been the last three years, and we have had a great time. The school keeps coming back and I keep dragging my friends into ti.

LadyElizabeth

I was wondering if there alot of other faires out there that use fictional casts??  I've personally never even heard of this.  I find that very interesting.  On the onset, I'd be against it, but then again there are definite upsides.  Like the fact that the people can kind of make up their own personalities rather than trying to play a certain well defined part...  Though honestly it would confuse me more than anything else, unless of course I was pre-warned that the royals were playing fictional characters.  I'd probably end up with a debate with the royalty or something about historical accuracy, which would be horrible of course, but unless I knew before hand it would be quite difficult for me to get!!! 
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Red the pirate

Butch

Well, creative or not, it sure fit!  The tour was a great way to start the day.

Thank-you, Finvarra, for being part of such a great faire!

You mentioned the Vulgarian court:  Tell me, if you please, is that a radish stem protruding from the front of the king's garment?