News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What a Great Opening Weekend!

Started by winterland, August 23, 2009, 09:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winterland

This was the first time we have went to opening day and and being there early.
It couldn't have been better.
The weather was perfect. Not too cool of a morning and then a nice not too hot of a day. Had a great breakfast in the lot with fellow RFers.

Kept the mug busy with mead and also had a little Amber/Scotch mix for a snort once in a while with friends.

Ran into a few people I wasn't expecting to see. That is always a treat.

Our 3 year old boy had a great time and we also brought a friend, who was working at the faire's, 5 and 7 year old girls with us. They had new dresses that their mom made.

I am sure Sunday was nice too. Hope others had a great weekend. It seemed busy. Hope people were buying to all the sellers.

Only one complaint. Please fix the microphone at the Jousting. It was cutting out about 1/3 of the time then it went out totally for the last 10 minutes. I seem to remember it cutting in and out last year too.

Huzzah!

LadyAnna

I agree - good weather and it seemed pretty busy! This was my first time attending on opening weekend also. Unfortunately, I had a wardrobe malfunction on Saturday morning and so I had to attend out of garb - it was weird! I'm going again in 2 weeks and I am determined to have garb. It's just not the same without it.

Talked with some great people in the Fest Friends tent, but didn't catch any names. I'll have to be more forward about formally introducing myself next time =)

Yes, the microphone in jousting could really stand to be fixed. Other than that, things seemed to be going pretty smoothly.

Huzzah!

groomporter

Had a decent first weekend for sales in spite of the economy. Helped that a cribbage board collector came back and bought two more of my one-of-a-kind boards. Sounds like attendance was really high for a first day as well.

Favorite line of the weekend:
Two our my shop girls accosted the king and when his Majesty asked the Royal Guard why they didn't protect, him one of the closest men replied:
"Our duty is to protect your vitality -not your chastity"
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Lady L

I heard from an entertainer at front gate that attendance on Sat. was 14,000. We had a very good opening weekend. The weather was indeed beautiful! Sun. the crowd wasn't as large, but I don't know how many.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

groomporter

Yeah, people were saying that at cast call it was announced it was possibly a record, (or second best record) for first day attendance

Charlotte Rowan

It was indeed a great opening weekend! I'm glad people still decided to attend, and buy things, despite the economy! Of course it helped that the weather was PERFECT, but I wonder if the fact that we started a week later contributed to the larger crowds?
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

groomporter

BTW Lolly was on site Saturday and spoke to my sister-in-law and told her that she was not cut as queen, she herself decided to step down because she is trying to finish up her master's degree and it would be just to much work to do fest at the same time.

William_MacKean

That wonderful woman is a class act thru and thru.

As much as I adore Lolly, it was wierd to have the characters shuffle so that she was married to her one time son.

Poor King Johnny got verbally assaulted by a shrew-belch of a woman in front of my booth yesterday.  She called him all manner of vulgar profanities.  A guardsman tried to intervene, and she ripped in to him too!  But he took it in stride.

TheFerret

First day was amazing for us and the second day people were a little weirder. It would have been easier for me to pull teeth than to have them take free soap. It was fantastic to see people though!

I'd wondered myself if Lolly had stepped out of it due to finishing her master's. It's good to hear that that was indeed the case.

People sure are weird sometimes. Why on earth was the woman yelling at him?
Ferret
Wench #1486
Bard #245
Sweet Shouter for Seventh Sojourn Soaps
I've got ADOS: Attention Deficit OOOH Shiny!

Charlotte Rowan

Quote from: theferret on August 24, 2009, 09:31:36 AM
First day was amazing for us and the second day people were a little weirder.

Second day people were weird! Twice at Mac's we had to send a runner to get beer WHILE PEOPLE WERE WAITING, because we kept selling out of beers that evidently never sell (Schell's Stout and Dark), so we don't keep more than a couple bottles around. They also seemed perfectly content to wait 5 minutes or more for their strange beer. :)
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Muffin

Quote from: Charlotte Rowan on August 24, 2009, 09:35:09 AM
Quote from: theferret on August 24, 2009, 09:31:36 AM
First day was amazing for us and the second day people were a little weirder.

Second day people were weird! Twice at Mac's we had to send a runner to get beer WHILE PEOPLE WERE WAITING, because we kept selling out of beers that evidently never sell (Schell's Stout and Dark), so we don't keep more than a couple bottles around. They also seemed perfectly content to wait 5 minutes or more for their strange beer. :)

Fun weekend!!! Saturday was great with the crowds, but people were weird all weekend!! Lots of people with expired licenses, under agers, and one Sams Club membership card  ::), trying to get beer... Sunday was sooooooooo slow... *yawn*

Very tired and very sore, but looking forward to another fabulous weekend!!!  ;D
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Captain Jack Wolfe

I still can't believe the guy I bodily dragged over to the Foaming bought ME a beer!  ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Rune

Great Weather! and I had the honor of buying the first beer of the season from Foaming *woot*
Recommended by 4 out of 5

SleepyArcher

I had a blast!!! Can't wait till next Saturday!!

splendid indeed...

anyone have Angelina's cell number from the dregs? she wants to do my makeup...
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

My wife, son and I had a great time starting with the breakfast (where did the table person go??).

thanks to White Trillium for letting us know about the Dregalong - had a blast at Macs'.

We hope to return sometime in September, just my wife and I so we can get a bit crazier.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell