News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Looking for garbing ideas for a new character

Started by Vincenzo, August 24, 2009, 11:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincenzo

I am working on creating a new character (option) for this season, and I was hoping to avail myself of the expertise of this group for interesting attire ideas.  Here is the character concept (and its a classic staple) -

The Paragon of All Knightly Virtue.  His mere presence causes evil-doers to flee and women to swoon (at least in his eyes).  He is "Bright and Shiny" and the epitome of self-assuredness (believing himself to be the "Shining example of all that is good and right in the world" with a duty to bear the incredible burden of being "the ideal to which all other knights aspire to attain".

I'm thinking something "Prince charming" like (from the disney films, ie. Sleeping Beauty, etc.), maybe with a breast plate and a blue cape, white shirt and black pants, and black cavalier boots.  Of course he will need a hat of some sort..and I have no ideas there.

Any help would be appreciated.
Audaces - Fortuna - Voluptas

McGuinness

Clarification: IS he all things good and manly and chivalrous, or does he just THINK he is? If its all in his head, I'm picturing some renaissance version of Zap Branagan from Futurama or the prince from Enchanted. Fun idea!

I think going with the stereotypical Prince Charming mold is a good idea. All clique and shiny and new would put across the idea of being all show and no action. I'd use bright colors and lots of medals and ornaments, to contrast with the rough warrior-knights who actually use their swords and armor to fight.  ;)

It's a fun idea. I think if you want to go for the idea of being the over-the-top showy type, you need a flamboyant and egotistical-type character to go with the costume.

Vincenzo

While not incompetent like Zap, it is not necessary that women actually swoon over him - he believes that they all do and just hide it well (so as not to embarrass him).  He doesn't flirt or pursue women (after all, that would distract his focus from being such a bastion of virtue).  He is more like "The Most Interesting Man in the World" (from the dos equis commercials)

He is definitely over-the-top in terms of his belief that he is "burdened" by his being perfect in every way (and, since he is nobility, nobody corrects him).  As a character he is predictable and easy to manipulate/maneuver by virtually everyone with half a brain ... because he LIVES by the code of chivalry.  If his opponent should drop his weapon or ask for quarter - it would be unchivalrous not to allow a rest period.  He believes that Good will always triumph and that he IS good, ergo... he will always win.  Thieves or Pirates who "promise" to give up their evil ways should be believed (they wouldn't *dare* lie to him - so they *must* be repentant, besides it would be unchivalrous to accuse them of lying without any proof and you can't prove that they don't mean it, so it has to be true)... you get the idea

While not "All Talk", he believes that everything which happens is for his benefit (ie. if his sword breaks that proves he is destined to find a magical one, etc.).  He is intervening in other peoples affairs (they obviously would want his opinion and advice) and is constantly looking for adventures to "set the example" which others can follow - the fact that he can't "see" anyone following is because he is *so far* ahead of them that they just can't keep up... but no time to tarry... its not their fault they aren't as capable as he is, he just keeps moving forward "blazing the trail" of Knightly Virtue.

----

that said.  what kinds of ideas for hats and capes etc.?  Breastplate or not?

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The BEST clothing for such a Knight would be nothing at all!  ;D

In my dreams.  ::)
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

amy

I think I would love to meet this character.  You sound like you really want to stand out a bit... loved the Prince Charming idea....  maybe you should think about going with sort of a signature color scheme.  Something a little out of the ordinary like a lighter robins egg blue... or maybe your green could be more teal.   Then stick to that lighter, cleaner color scheme so you don't look like all the rest.  Keep all your pieces in one palate and you will look like a perfected painting!

Vincenzo

Quote from: amy on August 25, 2009, 08:39:59 AM
....  maybe you should think about going with sort of a signature color scheme.  Something a little out of the ordinary like a lighter robins egg blue...

I really like the "Robin's Egg Blue" idea for the cape - I think that would be very distinctive and go great with the character. 

... stick to that lighter, cleaner color scheme so you don't look like all the rest.  Keep all your pieces in one palate and you will look like a perfected painting!

The "Perfect Painted Picture" look is precisely what I'm going for... but how do I do the "one color palate" thing???  I have been thinking black pants and boots with a white shirt because it seems like a nice "base" to work from (as it doesn't conflict with anything).  But it is a fairly common set-up. 

I am not a fashion designer and need all the help I can get on these things (which is why I'm posting things here) ... So...

Questions:  Shiny Breastplate or a vest?  And what to do about a hat - its a Must-Have for me but I'm not sure what is going to work best?  Also, for a sword ... a Rapier or something more Broadsword?

I think I would love to meet this character.

Feel free to swing by CRF in October  :)

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on August 25, 2009, 12:24:25 AM

The BEST clothing for such a Knight would be nothing at all!  ;D

In my dreams.  ::)

Lady Kathleen - LOL - I am not convinced that such attire (or lack there-of) would best represent his "Ideal Bastion of Knightly Virtue"  But keep dreaming - afterall, he accepts that ALL women dream of him.  ;)

LaurenLee

Whatever you decide on, the last thing has to be a very very big feather for the hat - I'm thinking of The Three Musketeers type hat?  Think medieval Charlie Sheen, Keifer Sutherland..... dashing, dastardly, allowed to behave however they wanted, loved by all the women, envied by all the men...with BIG feathers.! :D

Aunty Lou

OK, here's my idea...  White shirt, must have ruffs or lace (To be kept clean clean clean)  Doublet, in robin's-egg blue, with silver trimming, open at the neck (both shirt and doublet) to show off the manly chest wherin beats the heart of the perfect knight, with tabs and a deep point in the front.  (Not quite the peascod belly of the late Elizabethan)  Silver buttons, no tarnish.  Deeper robin's-egg blue pants (form-fitting, naturally!)  Silver ribbon down the seam.  Knee-high boots in black or brown, with silver spurs or chains.  Gloves of the same, maybe never worn, but folded in the belt.  Epaulets on the shoulders of the doublet, to tie on ladies' favors.  Sword in a scabbard. (This depends on your faire's policies)  One pearl drop earring.  And for hat?  I see one of those flat caps with a BIG feather, ostrich, of course, in a robin's-egg blue to match the doublet, and pinned on with silver. 
     Do you see a Disney Prince, or a fairy-tale dream?

Vincenzo

Quote from: Aunty Lou on August 25, 2009, 09:14:50 PM
OK, here's my idea...  White shirt, must have ruffs or lace (To be kept clean clean clean)  Doublet, in robin's-egg blue, with silver trimming, open at the neck (both shirt and doublet) to show off the manly chest wherin beats the heart of the perfect knight, with tabs and a deep point in the front.  (Not quite the peascod belly of the late Elizabethan)  Silver buttons, no tarnish.  Deeper robin's-egg blue pants (form-fitting, naturally!)  Silver ribbon down the seam.  Knee-high boots in black or brown, with silver spurs or chains.  Gloves of the same, maybe never worn, but folded in the belt.  Epaulets on the shoulders of the doublet, to tie on ladies' favors.  Sword in a scabbard. (This depends on your faire's policies)  One pearl drop earring.  And for hat?  I see one of those flat caps with a BIG feather, ostrich, of course, in a robin's-egg blue to match the doublet, and pinned on with silver. 
     Do you see a Disney Prince, or a fairy-tale dream?

I can definitely see a Classic Disney Prince Charming emerging here.  I never dreamt of finding a fairy-tale prince (I was busy slaying dragons and rescuing fair maidens), so my question is, do the fair maidens see this as what they dreamt of as a fairy-tale prince.

Do you think a Robin's egg doublet would clash with a cape in the same color?  A cape seems very "dramatic" so I think he would have one - perhaps with a silver lining inside.

If I went with a doublet rather than a shiny breastplate, I was thinking of a shoulder-sash perhaps in silver.  How do you think that would look?

By "Flat cap" did you mean Musketeer hats - and in what color were you thinking? The feather would be a must for any hat.

Also - for those "professionals" on the board - what kind of cost are we talking for an outfit like this?

and thank you all very much - I truly appreciate the help you've given so far and look forward to getting this finished off.  When done I will post pictures so everyone can see the "Charming Prince" you have helped create.

Escarlata

The advantage to the breastplate, conceptually, would be that the cape could be attached to it rather than fastened around your neck. It gives a very dashing appearance.

The disadvantage is that it covers up that manly chest that would be exposed with the shirt and doublet.

It's a toss up.

If the cape became a caplet (hip length maybe), perhaps it could be attached at the shoulders to the doublet to achieve both looks?
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

Vincenzo

Cinnamon - I had thought the same thing about the breastplate vs. doublet with the cape.  I really like your idea of having something on the doublet (silver buttons perhaps?) for the cape to attach to so that its not "at my throat" or sliding all around.  Dashing *IS* the look here. 

Now, I just need to "manly-up" my chest some more ;) - which is something no tailor can help with... so its back to the gym I go.

Katie Bookwench

The short circle cape is often worn across only one shoulder - looking in the front almost like a sash. The ties should be long, so it can be tied that way - at the waist on one side, and over the opposite shoulder.

The cirlce capes also have the advantage of being extra dashing - they float so well, and have a lot of body to them-- and are easy to move aside so the ladies can see your 'best side' when retrieving a fallen hankercheif....

not that I've ever looked, mind you....  ::) (innocent whistle)
Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

Dayna

Hip length 1/2 cape, worn over one shoulder.  Rapier and gauche.  Black suede cavalier hat, huge feathers in robins egg blue, black and white.  Buttons can be placed underneath the back edge of the epaulets so the cape can be attached that way as well, No Breastplate!!!

Then bring it all to Bristol so we can swoon over it and you  ;D

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

amy

Oh I'm enamored already!   Now mind you the blues though they are the same hue may be lighter or deeper shades of the same.   Perhaps your white shirt is actually the whitest crystal blue you can find... and your britches a rich deeper blue, but all in the same sort of shade.  Love the shiny buttons idea.   Lots and lots of them.  Also like the idea that your cape be short and rakishly slung across the back to make the retreat as interesting as the advance!  I agree the had should be large and feathered.  A lovely breeze should waft from you when doffing it to make a gallant bow.

Auryn

OHhhhh what a great character.
I like the idea of the short circle cape worn over one shoulder, very dashing.
Definitely a black cavalier hat, or to really top it off in a complementing shade of blue with multiple large white ostrich feathers.
QuoteA lovely breeze should waft from you when doffing it to make a gallant bow.
spot on amy hehehe.

Definitely some white gloves, no prince charming would be seen without his gloves, after all how would you properly challenge a ruffian that has insulted a fair lady's honor??

;D let the swooning begin
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec