News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fall Renstock-are we interested?

Started by mumsies, August 26, 2009, 07:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumsies

It is that time of the year again-and I have heard a few mentions of Renstock. I better get some planning started before the season has come and gone!

The gathering will be held here on the farm....campers welcome.

How many are interested? Please start posting replies or emailing me so I know if we have enough people interested in having it.

What nights are better? Friday-Saturday? We need to pick a date. If we choose Friday...Sept 25 is unavailable...

Give me some feedback, and we will start making plans! See you all on Saturday! Mumsies

Scarlett

Any chance of waiting until after the end of faire?  Or is the point to do it so our out of town friends can attend? 
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

mumsies

I don't have a problem with after faire, although we always go to maine mid-October...and true, our out of town family may have a harder time attending...especially any who play at other faires. This is the place to talk about what will be the best option for as many as we can. I know we will never be able to make it work for everyone, but let's get the ideas out there.

Terry Griffith

How about a Thursday evening?  I know, I know, people have to work the next day.  Well we have to work the next day if it's on a Friday.

Saturday is after an exhausting day and before another.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

April

Quote from: Terry Griffith on August 26, 2009, 11:03:59 PM
How about a Thursday evening?  I know, I know, people have to work the next day.  Well we have to work the next day if it's on a Friday.

Saturday is after an exhausting day and before another.

Yeah... idk Terry.  I know I have to get up at 5:30 in the A.M. on a Friday.  But even if it was a Thursday I prob wouldn't pass it up... even though a Friday would be better.   ;)

And I def think during the faire season... plus, if people were traveling into town they would be more likely to be here on a Friday eve instead of a Thursday.

God bless ye all!  Can anyone tell me why the Drambuie is gone again?

Charity Morgan

Waiting into October may provide more weather threats... we were thinking of having an outdoor gathering.  Friday or Saturday seem the only logical evenings to accomodate the weekday workers as well as ren workers. The party that ren traditionally hold (only for people involved in the festival) is traditionally on a thursday and every year many can not attend that.  Ren Stock may be the only opportuntiy many of us have this year to be together... as fewer of us are involved in the festival.   We do need to set the date soon so that we can all PLAN and attend.  Many of us will be doing more festival traveling this year.
Charity Morgan ~ Morgans Bounty
Purveyor of questionably acquired treasures.

mumsies

How does the end of September look..giving you all time to work the magic..and still keeping all of our out of town folks involved? I am booked up for Friday night...how about Saturday or Sunday? the 26th or 27th.  I know, we all have to work in the morning....but....
I do have sleeping space for a few...let me know who is interested, and we will go from there. If we don't soon pick a date, there will be no party at all!

Lady Celynn

That sounds good to me Bonnie...just let me know.  I know last year we were unable to attend because Kennywood stared the last weekend of Sept. but this year we don't start until Oct. 2.  So any weekend before then or even a Thurs. as Terry suggested would work.

mumsies

We need to get this date nailed down.

Saturday September 26  or Friday Oct. 2. Give me some feedback so we can get the plans started.

Terry Griffith

You all know how much we love Renstock.  We all look forward to it as much as the faire itself because it's an opportunity for cast, stage acts, vendors, playtrons and patrons to enjoy each others company without the pressure.  A school night (night before faire) just doesn't work for those who do have to deal with that pressure early the next day and the evening of a faire day isn't just hard, it's impossible.  This year is particularly grueling and to drive 50 minutes home after closing and then drive an hour to get there means we would be arriving late and leaving early just to get the necessary sleep to do the next day.  An hour with you all is worth great sacrifice but to jeopardize the next day's work just doesn't seem wise.

Please do what you have to do but I'm afraid many of us will have to pass on this year's Renstock.  As M pointed out to me yesterday, Renstock used to be more of the people who worked the faire but we are in a minority at Renstock now.  That doesn't mean it should not continue without us.  Just a different dynamic.

We'll see you all at faire and that will have to satisfy until Winter Renstock and/or spring Renstock.

Scarlett

Quote from: Terry Griffith on August 31, 2009, 10:25:07 AM
You all know how much we love Renstock.  We all look forward to it as much as the faire itself because it's an opportunity for cast, stage acts, vendors, playtrons and patrons to enjoy each others company without the pressure.  A school night (night before faire) just doesn't work for those who do have to deal with that pressure early the next day and the evening of a faire day isn't just hard, it's impossible.  This year is particularly grueling and to drive 50 minutes home after closing and then drive an hour to get there means we would be arriving late and leaving early just to get the necessary sleep to do the next day.  An hour with you all is worth great sacrifice but to jeopardize the next day's work just doesn't seem wise.

Please do what you have to do but I'm afraid many of us will have to pass on this year's Renstock.  As M pointed out to me yesterday, Renstock used to be more of the people who worked the faire but we are in a minority at Renstock now.  That doesn't mean it should not continue without us.  Just a different dynamic.

We'll see you all at faire and that will have to satisfy until Winter Renstock and/or spring Renstock.

WHAT?!?!   Renstock used to be more of the people who WORKED the faire?  Honestly, how can you guys even say such a thing?   The first few Renstocks were hosted by playtrons.  The last one was at a public venue found by a playtron.  I'd thought that Renstocks were a chance for ALL faire folk alike, cast/performers/vendors/playtrons, to come together over the long off season to catch up, don garb, and have a good time.  Every Renstock I've been to, the performers had most graciously offered their services to provide live music as their contribution to the event.  The rest of us brought food, drink, etc.

I think there are a lot of hurt feelings over Mr. Paradise's business decisions this year that directly affected cast/performers/vendors.   Let's recall a few years ago when we playtrons spoke up with our criticisms of the new PTB, specifically the lack of beer choices and the elimination of season passes.   We received a lot of slack from the cast/performers in the form of "Be glad the faire is back."  We got over it and continue to attend and SPEND at the faire.  Now, you guys are experiencing decisions made by the PTB that you don't like.  Has anyone noticed how most of the playtrons have dropped off the forums?

Don't misunderstand me.  I am not happy about the eliminations made to cast/performers/vendors.  I consider many of these people friends.  But in the end, I have to say I am still glad the faire is in operation.

Sorry to rant here folks.  I do not intend to start a battle here.   I'm just hoping that folks read, TAKE A STEP BACK, and consider.

Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

anne of oaktower

If I may be so bold as to step in for just a moment...

The date for Winter Renstock has already been set, and most of us are already planning to attend.  I will do my best to attend Summer/Fall Renstock on whatever date is chosen, and will enjoy the company of any who may be there.  Naturally, those who cannot attend will be missed, but we will understand...there is simply no way to accommodate everyone.

That being said, I think perhaps it is not so important what role we fill at faire ~ cast/vendor/playtron ~ as what role we fill in each other's lives.  I'd like to believe we are all one family, and every family experiences its share of good and bad times, as we have this year.  Whenever and wherever we join together, it becomes a reunion, a time to share laughter and tears, to raise our glasses in kinship and hold each other close at heart, for truly we may or might never all meet here again.  Let us never forget the spirit that binds us together.

Blessings,
Anne

aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Terry Griffith

Quote from: Scarlett on August 31, 2009, 06:17:26 PM

WHAT?!?!   Renstock used to be more of the people who WORKED the faire?  Honestly, how can you guys even say such a thing?  The first few Renstocks were hosted by playtrons.  The last one was at a public venue found by a playtron.  I'd thought that Renstocks were a chance for ALL faire folk alike, cast/performers/vendors/playtrons, to come together over the long off season to catch up, don garb, and have a good time.  Every Renstock I've been to, the performers had most graciously offered their services to provide live music as their contribution to the event.  The rest of us brought food, drink, etc.

Scarlet, I don't really know because I wasn't involved in the first few but that's the way it was explained to me by more than one person.  It may have been hosted by playtrons but when I was invited to my first one in 2007, it was explained to me that it was held during the run so that performers that were from out of town could come and relax and party with people they cared about without the pressure of working at the faire.  I never meant to imply that it was only for cast and performers.  We who work there have made life long friends of playtrons and enjoy being with everyone who is present at the faire in whatever capacity.  Since we are "at work" at the faire, we don't always get to spend time with people.  Renstock gave us that opportunity.  I would never begrudge anyone from attending because that would take away my reason for being there.

Quote from: Scarlett on August 31, 2009, 06:17:26 PM

I think there are a lot of hurt feelings over Mr. Paradise's business decisions this year that directly affected cast/performers/vendors.   Let's recall a few years ago when we playtrons spoke up with our criticisms of the new PTB, specifically the lack of beer choices and the elimination of season passes.   We received a lot of slack from the cast/performers in the form of "Be glad the faire is back."  We got over it and continue to attend and SPEND at the faire.  Now, you guys are experiencing decisions made by the PTB that you don't like.  Has anyone noticed how most of the playtrons have dropped off the forums?

Don't misunderstand me.  I am not happy about the eliminations made to cast/performers/vendors.  I consider many of these people friends.  But in the end, I have to say I am still glad the faire is in operation.

You lost me here.  I'm not quite sure what all that has to do with the date of Renstock.  It's difficult to relate disappointment over beer choices with the loss of jobs, income and friends at the faire. 

I'm sorry if no one has noticed playtrons dropping off the forums.  With the advent of FaceBook, most people keep in touch that way now so a lot of people haven't been posting here.  The absence of comment here doesn't really make a statement.  Expressing yourself here does.

mumsies

My mind is going in so many directions, that I am not sure what to say at this point. First of all, there has not been a lot of response on here as far as interest in having the gathering. I realize that people aren't checking in on here as often, and a lot of them are on Facebook, but don't know how to keep the information out there on Facebook. I also realize that there are still many people from faire who aren't in any of the groups, and so may not even know we are trying to make plans.

As to the original Renstock-it came about the year that we lost our faire. I thought it would be a way for all of us to still be able to meet up and spend some time together, and celebrate our "family", still see the friends that we had missed since the last season, and be with each other as we mourned the loss of our faire. There wasn't such an issue of what night we would have it, because there was no "school night". We decided to continue holding a gathering after the faire re-opened because it was a great opportunity for cast, vendors, stage acts, and the playtrons to be able to spend time together away from "work".  Each year, when I thought no one would have the time, or be interested, people would ask if we were having it again, and we did.

I have to say that my feelings were a little hurt when I read the post:
"As M pointed out to me yesterday, Renstock used to be more of the people who worked the faire but we are in a minority at Renstock now. That doesn't mean it should not continue without us. Just a different dynamic."

Is this really how people feel? I have ALWAYS done everything that I can to make sure that everyone feels welcome at Renstock. I have always done my best to try and make the date the best choice for as many people as we could. I also said that it was okay by me if we needed to pick a Sunday, or a Thursday....just give me some voices. However, doing those nights also means that there will be people who can't attend because they also work the next day. That also means, that many of the "cast and stage acts" who travel from out of town, may not be able to make it either-which is why I thought a Friday might be more suitable.

As for not as many of the cast/stage acts at Renstock-I invite as many as I can. Unfortunately, there are not many of our old family left at Pgh any more. I DID invite several of the new acts to attend last year's gathering, but many of them I haven't gotten to know yet. It is up to you cast members to extend invitations to them if you want them included. There are also many of the old cast members that I have invited, and they have never attended.

I am never going to be able to find a date that works for everyone. I was trying to find a happy medium. I am very proud of the fact that I srarted something a few years ago that seemed to bring many of our renfamily closer, and loved the fact that it extended into our winter Renstock, and seeing more of our friends at family at other venues where our faire family is performing.

I know there are many people who have gone to the Harp on a work night, and had to get up the next day, even renting a room nearby to make it more manageable. Bill and I have driven out to Ohio to spend an evening with Porter and Stout when they did their CD, and ended up broken down in a snow storm with a 9 hour trip home. We have been to several other events when we can make it to support our faire family. To hear it said that people feel like a "minority" really hurts my heart. It was never my intention to make anyone feel excluded, just to choose a time that would work the best for as many people as possible.
At this point, it would be easy to say, let's just skip it this year, and we can all meet again at Winter Renstock....when everyone is not so busy, and missing their faire family. However, there have been several people who have expressed interest in attending, and this year was to be an important gathering, because Kharla had some final words from Dirk. So, I am setting a date.....and I hope to see as many of you there as can make it. For those who can't, for one reason or another, we understand, and our thoughts will be with you....and hopefully, we can spend time together at faire, and at the Winter Renstock.

Renstock 2009 at Mumsies Place on the farm
Friday, October 2....start time to be determined.
More details to come
Please post here if you can make it, or email me directly at bonniecousins@gmail.com

metalcelt

I will do my best to make it that night, shouldn't be a problem, I will let the band know that is the night for Renstock. You have supported us and Off Keel right from the beginning, we do truly appreciate it :)