Author Topic: Gallery of Finished Projects  (Read 449237 times)

Offline Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

• R/F.com Member
  • Maker of Fyne Attyre, Royal Wardrobe Designer
    • Custom Desgns By Lady Kathleen
Re: Gallery of Finished Projects
« Reply #4590 on: August 02, 2016, 02:17:58 AM »
On Sunday, the Bilbo Baggins Coat and Vest was picked up by my client. He brought his son with him. As soon as I showed him his items, he broke out into the biggest smile I had even seen on a kid. He was beaming ear to ear.

I used McCall's pattern 7003, the Victorian Frock coat. I cut the Small size, then lined up the size differential lines to size it down to an XSmall man. The boy is 10. I wanted the coat and Vest to be large on him so he gets several years out of it. I shortened the skirting to be just above the knees.

The fabric, a Medium Wale Corduroy, came from England. No fabric outlets in the United States had a shade of Corduroy I needed. When I opened the package, it was perfect! The Buttons for the vest came from New Zealand. They were the exact same buttons from the cast that made Martin Freeman's vest he wore in "The Hobbit"  films. All in all, dad and son were very pleased.

Dad plans to send me photos of his son all decked out with the feet he is making him to go along with the coat and vest.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Offline Merlin the Elder

• R/F.com Member
  • Casting Quality Spells Since the First Millennium
« Reply #4591 on: August 02, 2016, 05:26:17 AM »
I can't find the "Like" buttons...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Offline Trillium

• Forum Moderator
  • R/F.com Member
  • Distribution Mistress of Faerie Dust
« Reply #4592 on: August 02, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »
That is awesome!  Fabulous job as always!
I had to try to size down the Thorin garb for my son last year, that was...errr...entertaining! :o ::)
I need to find a pic and post it...
Got faerie dust?

• R/F.com Member
« Reply #4593 on: August 09, 2016, 11:52:52 PM »

The finished Buchannan Dress. I just love the Simplicity OUTLANDER pattern. There are so many possibilities to it for an array of clothing. I have a chemise and Corset already made that I wear with my other 18th Century garb. THis dress is going to be worn for the Irish Penny Brigade gathering at the Bristol Renaissance Festival this coming weekend.

I plan to use this pattern again. The only thing I would change is when I cut the front skirt panels, go straight down rather than at an angle as the pattern piece indicates. That will make for better flow when pleated.

There are lacing rings inside the main Bodice. Though slightly visible, they look nice with the ribbon. I will pin the stomacher piece down onto my corset for better stability before I lace things up. Overall, I am pleased as to how this turned out.

• R/F.com Member
« Reply #4594 on: August 17, 2016, 10:17:33 AM »
Wearing the new Celtic gown based on Simplicity's OUTLANDER inspired pattern at the Bristol Renaissance Festival this past weekend. I plan more Wench/Pirate wear from this pattern.

Anyone interested in an ensemble, feel free to PM me.

I highly recommend wearing the proper undergarments under this gown. I cut a size larger than normal to accommodate just that.

Offline Toua Taru

• R/F.com Member
  • the Laughing Fox
« Reply #4595 on: August 19, 2016, 04:18:53 PM »
Lady Kathleen, your work as always is jawdroppingly beautiful!
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

• R/F.com Member
« Reply #4596 on: August 22, 2016, 09:25:51 AM »

While attending the Minnesota Renaissance Festival yesterday, I heard a voice call out to me, "Lady Kathleen!" I turned around and it was young Julian in his Bilbo Baggins ensemble I made for him. He gave me such a big hug. He had people asking where did he get his coat and vest. I gave dad a bunch of Business cards to hand out to those who were serious about custom made clothing.

The fabric for the coat came from England. The Buttons for the vest from New Zealand.

• R/F.com Member
« Reply #4597 on: August 26, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »

My husband, the Earl of Olmsted, has a finished Doublet. When it comes to linings, I like to think outside the box. I came across this Black and Gold Cotton at JoAnn Fabrics on Tuesday. Now on to the Venetians.

The Venetians.....
I used a soft, pinwale corduroy for these. Button fly front with privacy panel, belt loops at the waist band, ties at the knee bands. Those are easier for my husband to do. I plan another Doublet for my husband in the coming months so that he has at least 2 nice ensembles to wear to Festivals and events to go along with his Pirate garb for when he wants to dress down.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:25:12 AM by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted »

Offline Puck

• R/F.com Member
« Reply #4598 on: August 29, 2016, 11:48:20 PM »
Didn't manage to get pictures of my dress Opening weekend when I was wearing it, but snapped a few tonight. Few things to add eventually, but those are all components I haven't finished yet. Thankfully I had my leather belt on so I could keep most of the dress out of the mud. Both dresses are 100% linen and all the hems (minus the bottom hems) are finished by hand. Green dress is side lacing with hand sewn eyelets and red dress has lacing rings as I plan on adding trim to it once its woven. Belt is tablet woven.

All headwear pieces were sewn, knitted and/or felted by hand.

And while I don't have any decent pictures of his garb, I did make all of my friend's garb as well, including the trim on the doublet. I'm hoping Larson and Neve will be able to make it back to MNRF as a duo this year! (Larson will be there most weekends)

Offline isabelladangelo

• R/F.com Member
    • All the Pretty Dresses
« Reply #4599 on: August 30, 2016, 05:30:35 AM »
Puck, that is lovely!  I'd actually leave the dress plain (without trim) and add an apron to it instead.   A smocked apron would look perfect with the outfit. 

Offline Puck

• R/F.com Member
« Reply #4600 on: September 01, 2016, 11:34:44 PM »
Thanks! Unfortunately an apron won't really work with the character I have in mind right now, but maybe in the future! I've started making the trim and it's only about half an inch wide so it'll add some interest but not be overwhelming.

• R/F.com Member
« Reply #4601 on: September 28, 2016, 10:46:07 AM »

Terrific job, Puck. The colors work so well together. You look stunning in this.

I decided to make myself a new ensemble for Closing weekend of the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. I started this 2 weeks ago when things were slow as far as Alterations were concerned.  Now I have 4 Noble ensembles to wear when the Earl and I travel to other Faires about the country.

For this ensemble, I used the Elizabethan Women's ensemble pattern from Margo Anderson for the Doublet and Spanish styled sleeves. The main fabric is a soft, lightweight Pinwale Corduroy. I used one layer of Canvas Duck for the Doublet body, waist and shoulder tabs. Lined in a cotton of Gold Renaissance design on red. The Picot trim that accompanies the Red/Gold Frames trim, I ordered from M & J Trimmings out of NYC. The rest came from my stash.

I highly recommend making a mockup of the Doublet to fit over the corset. I made a size 14 in a cheapy fabric. I ended up cutting an 18, making some adjustments at the side seams and shoulders. . Instead of a full Kirtle, I made a Dickie to pin onto my corset to create an illusion of wearing a Kirtle because I want to wear the Doublet partly opened to show off the lining against the Chemise.

The Overskirt are 4- 45"  panels that are cartridge pleated. I like fullness in my skirts. This project took me 50 hours over the  course of 2 weeks. I need to make a few tweeks before I wear this on Saturday.

Now on to some Alterations and 2 unlined cloaks for the youngest granddaughters.

Offline Raelyn Fey

• R/F.com Member
« Reply #4602 on: September 28, 2016, 05:38:31 PM »
Oh my goodness it's so amazing!!

• R/F.com Member
« Reply #4603 on: September 30, 2016, 10:37:59 AM »

Thank you so much, Irish Rose. I will get photos of me in it tomorrow while at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. Then post next week.

• R/F.com Member
« Reply #4604 on: October 04, 2016, 09:52:41 AM »
The final weekend of the Minnesota Renaissance was wonderful. No rain, no mud to sidestep, just wonderful fun!

I wore my newest ensemble. So many people stopped me for pictures and asked where did I get it. I made sure I had plenty of business cards to hand out to those serious about having Custom designed garb made.

I have an event coming up at the end of October. I plan to make a new underskirt out of heavier fabric in which to lay the forepart onto. I used an existing underskirt from a previous ensemble. The Doublet was wonderful to wear and quite comfortable. The suggestion for the Dickie pinned onto the corset was a great idea. It gave the illusion of another layer.

Web hosting provided by www.RangeHosting.us
YeOldeRF