News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tattoo Question

Started by Rhiannon, September 07, 2009, 12:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhiannon

For those who are inked, do you deliberately strive to keep your tats covered up at faire, so that you can appear to be more HA? People have been sporting ink since we first became humans, but I don't think that people in the Renaissance had pinup girls or Taz or a bellydancing rat (as in my case). So do you cover them up or do you say the heck with that and sport your ink proudly at faire like you would anywhere else?

LadyElizabeth

It totally depends on the character you are playing.  If you are playing an actual renaissance era character either fictional or real, then definitely cover up the tats... but of course that wouldn't be too difficult given how covered up the women and men are in general!!  I am planning on TRYING to show my new wing tattoo with my fairy outfit and my belly dancing outfit.  Since belly dancers are originally mostly from India, and Indian women are very known to have temporary inkings all the time with their henna tattoos.  I think ink showing on someone trying to be HA looks quite silly actually, so just my thoughts!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Adriana Rose

I have to have mine covered since I work faire. But if you are going as a patron I see no problem with showing the tat's but thats just me

mariab4

Gee, at the age of 50 I guess I just don't think about my tats anymore.  If they show, they show, if they don't, Oh well.  I wouldn't cover them up.  But that's my opinion.  Like a rectum, everyone has one.  Although there are many times when I wonder if one need's one more of either!

Lady Kett

If they show, they show. If they don't, they don't. Though my 3 are unlikely to show - they're not in very visible-in-garb places.

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

ferrissteve1

I'm new here (First post of hopefully many) and I have to say I'm pretty heavily covered (tattoos) and I show them at faires. Their not time accurate per se, but they do turn heads. Pair those with some white out contacts and you've got it made!!

Sir James of Milford

Wear them proudly whatever and wherever they may be!!!!   ;)
Sir James of Milford
Edward II, Duke of Yorkshire

Jay Byrd

I'm Tatt'ed and I let them show.  ONly two on my shoulders.  If it's hot which it always is, I'm not going ot be uncomfortable.. I get alot of compliments on my tats.  They are celtic.  On is a Tri-knot with the kids names and the other is new.  It is a Claddaugh with knot work bent up in the shape of a horse shoe, with a banner between with my wife's name and mine.  Like said before, if you don't work Faire do what you want.  If it was cold I would wear a long sleeve shirt and my cape, but if it is warm I just wear a no sleeve leather Jerkin.

Jay Byrd

Keno

I have one and going to have many more.  Mine are soft colors and nature base so it fits with my persona, I see no reason to hide them.  Now if its something very rude and will disurbed others yes, but if not people have been branded for years.
This years travels 2013

Performing
Travelers Cross Faire in Strang, Oklahoma

Vending
Iowa Renaissance Festival in Amana Colonies, Iowa
Iowa-Minnesota Pirate Festival in Clear Lake, Iowa
Des Moines Renaissance Faire in Des Moines, iowa