News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help with Faerie wings

Started by Lady Rebecca, September 26, 2009, 02:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

I'm playing Peaseblossom in Midsummer, and I'm trying to make myself some wings. This is what I have so far:

I want to fill the middle in with some sort of sheer fabric that I could paint, but I don't know how to go about doing it. I don't have a frame that things can be stretched over, like all the wing tutorials online say to do. All I did was take two bouquets of fake flowers, and intertwined the ends, then bound the middle together with green yarn (though I'm going to buy some floral tape. Does anyone have any suggestions? We're not supposed to spend over $10 (though I don't mind spending a little more, since I'm sure I will use these again), and I've already spent $6. Also, I'd like them to be fairly durable, since we'll have somewhere between 6-10 performances. Help!

Trillium

maybe weave some yarn, ribbon, or hemp rope through middle parts?
Got faerie dust?

appljx

Maybe some window screen neting?  It will help with the stiffness of the wings and also something you can paint on as well. *shrugs*

Pascal

Is it stiff and firm enough as it is?  Frankly, it looks pretty cool ... I wouldn't add anything more.

Lady Rebecca

I put a small dowel down the center, and wrapped floral tape around all of the joints, so it's feeling a fair bit stronger. I haven't attempted anything in the center of the wings yet.

I'm having a problem, now, though, in that the upper wings are sort of leaning against my head. Granted, I only pinned the elastic on for shoulder straps, but is there anything I can do to amend that?

PS. Making wings are fun! I really want to make a bunch more for other people now! :)

appljx

Maybe you can use a wire hanger to strengthen the wings themselves....If they are still available :)

FaeHollow

you could always fill the center with more flowers.... would definitely work for peaseblossom
Leigh