News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Make-Up at Faire

Started by Dracconia, October 04, 2009, 09:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lys1022

Quote from: sealion on October 05, 2009, 12:34:32 PM
Milk of Magnesia??????

Yup!  A friend of mine got that tip from an interview with Tyra Banks.  She was talking about how they keep the make-up so perfect under the hot lights in a studio during long photo shoots.  A thin coating of milk of magnesia under your base coat will help keep the make-up in place and you won't sweat it off.

It really works!!! :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

raevyncait

Quote from: Athena on October 05, 2009, 05:12:53 PM
Bare Escentuals is the best foundation I've ever used. It stays put and unlike liquid foundation doesn't melt off my face or feel like a kabuki mask. I highly recommend it, but you should sample before you buy because some people have a reaction to the minerals. It's pricier than drugstore cosmetics but one pot lasts a long time so it's worth it.

Bare Escentuals/Bare Minerals was the first mineral makeup I tried, and I found that when I get the least bit warm, something in it makes my face itch like mad. I don't break out or anything, but the itching drives me crazy and causes me to be scratching or rubbing my face, wiping it all off  :-\

The great thing about Everyday Minerals is that you can get a sample kit for about $5 S&H to try it before you have to invest in it.  It's MUCH less expensive (even with shipping) than BE/BM, about $12 per pot of foundation, and it lasts me several months.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Charlotte Rowan

Great topic. I gave up on wearing makeup to faire because it just didn't last. Next year I'll have to try out these tips!
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Dracconia

Okay, I was wondering, do liquid eyeliners work better or do you ladies prefer the soft crayon ones???

< spent so much time climbing trees I missed make up class :D
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

sealion

In my experience the crayon/pencil eyeliners are the worst offenders when it comes to smearing.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Dracconia

Quote from: sealion on October 06, 2009, 08:01:39 AM
In my experience the crayon/pencil eyeliners are the worst offenders when it comes to smearing.

any tips on NOT getting the liquid in ones eye?

(laugh as you will but I always seem to get the stuff in my left eye...never the right...tis always the left....)
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

Elennare

My trick for getting makeup to stay is to powder really well (if you've used any liquid makeup, make SURE it's dry before powdering).  If I know I've got a CRAZY day at faire (like performing lots of shows) I'll use theatrical foundation and then put my normal makeup over it.  But always end with a good coat of powder.  I've never had a problem with it running/smearing doing this.

How to keep liquid eye liner out of eyes...hmmm...

Be careful when applying?  I know that sounds really stupid, but I think it just takes some practice.  Make sure you don't have tons of the stuff on the brush, too.  And if you can catch it while it's still wet, wipe it out of your eye, then use your fingernail to scrape off the extra that will have gotten smeared around your eye while removing it FROM your eye.  If you're quick, that trick works.  Otherwise, it's probably best to remove the eye make up and try again.
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

RumbaRue

Well I don't glisten, I SWEAT!!!!

In the morning I look great, by the end of the day I look like I've been run over by the King's men!

I haven't found any make up that can stay put on my face....I literally rain sweat if I'm hot (those hot flashes really suck) my hair is usually just soaked if it's really bad. I do try during the day to clean up a bit (especially now that a mirror is put in our back tent for all to use) but I sure am glad I don't live in a state that has humidity higher than the heat!

But I can tell you, that actors who work at Universal Studios for the guests, do use baby wipes to take off make up (I use to work on the Star Trek show that was put on in Hollywood), any kind will do so long as it's alcohol free.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

DonaCatalina

I tried the Milk of Magnesia and it worked.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

tigerlilly

Quote from: Dracconia on October 05, 2009, 01:11:27 PM
I just thought of something else, I am going to TRF for the first time, and there are no showers there....

(I have been a spoiled rennie with my flushies and showers at Four Winds)

Any tips on staying as fresh as possible?

Lots of people bring camp showers.  You may be able to beg the use of one, especially if you byo water.  You may also be able to take a sponge bath in your tent.  Have a small bucket for soapy water and a small bucket for clean water, stand on a towel, and go easy on the soap.  Use a wet washcloth to rinse rather than pouring water over yourself.  Not quite as good as a shower but better than baby wipes, and it ireally only uses a gallon or two of water. 

RenRobin

Quote from: tigerlilly on October 07, 2009, 11:28:40 AM
Quote from: Dracconia on October 05, 2009, 01:11:27 PM
I just thought of something else, I am going to TRF for the first time, and there are no showers there....

(I have been a spoiled rennie with my flushies and showers at Four Winds)

Any tips on staying as fresh as possible?

Lots of people bring camp showers.  You may be able to beg the use of one, especially if you byo water.  You may also be able to take a sponge bath in your tent.  Have a small bucket for soapy water and a small bucket for clean water, stand on a towel, and go easy on the soap.  Use a wet washcloth to rinse rather than pouring water over yourself.  Not quite as good as a shower but better than baby wipes, and it ireally only uses a gallon or two of water. 

With the folks that are in Phoenix Risen, someone will have a camp shower... just bring a few gallons of water with you to contribute to the mix.
Loki-terr (in training)

Dracconia

Do you go with bright colors or naturals ladies?

Does it take you away from the period to see ladies with lots of make up on?
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

bellevivre

FaeHollow's suggestion of aquanet worked for me- not the cream eyeshadow, but I imagine a regular non-sparkly makeup would do well with it...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Adriana Rose

Oh duh!

I totally forgot the ol' hairspray the face thing!

As for the period make up feeling have you seen the periods make up? The women kinda looked like clowns so the bright colors in my mind dont change a thing.

shadowcat546

Hi. sounds like great tips
would the milk of magnesia trick work under halloween costume makeup?
I'm going to try to be BRide of Frankenstein this wknd.  I think I'll try a bit, before hand. m-of-mag. then white base on cheek, see if it works.
thanks
Shannon, ..The Colonial Peddler --see Webshots shadowcat546 (so.-east Mich.) Goods for Sale