News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Make-Up at Faire

Started by Dracconia, October 04, 2009, 09:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracconia

I wasn't sure where to post this, if it needs moving Sorry!

But I see women at faire who's make up is as perfect at the end of the day as it started....

Now do they just reapply all day, or is there a magic make up brand/technique that I have not discovered yet ....

Any tips on faire proof make up would be gladly welcome!
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

Leyla

I'm loving the Mary-Kay eye primer. I don't know about the rest of the make-up spectrum, but finally the eye-shadow lasts and primarily stays on my eye lids verses drifting into the creases below my eyes.

Dracconia

my biggest problem is starting the day with eyeliner and ending the day with......well as a raccoon
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

Adriana Rose

I always have the racoon look too I just do the undereye finger sweep to kill the racoon look.

But other than that any one got some advise to avoid melting makeup?

raevyncait

I wear Everyday Minerals (http://www.everydayminerals.com) for everything except my mascara & lipstick/gloss.  I generally don't reapply anything except my lipstick/gloss during the day, and while I'm not looking perfect at the end of the day, I've usually got mostly the same coverage at the end of the day that I had early in the day.  I make my own eyeliner with the eyeshadows (it's all powdered mineral make up).  I have some tiny little paint pots that I bought for less than a buck for 8 of them at Hobby Lobby (the kind of pots that the paint-by-number sets have the paint in).  I put some clear mascara into the pot, put in some of the eyeshadow powder, and stir it to mix it well. I apply with a small angled eyeliner brush, and unless I'm crying or my eyes water a lot for some reason, it looks virtually the same when I get home as it did when I left for faire.  Sometimes it's a bit finer of a line, at least on the bottom, but the top is rarely comes off unless it's just one of those miserably hot, dripping sweat sorts of days, in which case it's not just the eyeliner that's come of....  I have NEVER gotten raccoon eyes with my EM eyeliner combined with the washable waterproof mascara I use (CoverGirl).

If I'm NOT going to faire, I'll either use the powdered eyeshadow for liner without wetting it, or I'll pour a bit into a paint mixing dish and wet it with a little water.  In general, the matte or pearly shades do better with just the water or dry than the really shimmery ones, for some reason, but they are equally good in the clear mascara mix.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

sealion

I do pretty much the same as raevyncat except that I use Bare Esscentuals mineral makeup and use the Weather Everything drops to create waterproof (and sweatproof) liquid liner.
That said, I wear minmal makeup at faire unless I am wearing fantasy pirate garb. To my eye obvious modern makeup just doesn't look right when wearing an attempt at historically accurate renaissance garb.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

LadyHawkeontheHill

Aye, Bare Essentuals and Sephora's "Make Up Forever" eyeliner.
Willy Nilly on-the-wash town Strumpet
Castleteer Pillar
Irish Penny Brigade member

CapnFayeCutler

I use a lot of bolder colors, so I use Ben Nye theater makeup. It takes quite a lot to get that stuff off! As for eyeliner, I'm using Revlon ColorStay. That stuff doesn't come off easily either!
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

lys1022

It can get up to over 100 degrees at Scarby, and since I'm usually wearing about 40 pounds of costuming, it can be a little warm (Court Ladies don't sweat, we GLISTEN! *snerk*).  Thus developing a makeup routine is a necessity!

1.  Wash face and moisturize.  Let set for at least 10-15 minutes.
2.  Sunscreen.  Let set for at least 10-15 minutes.
3.  Add a very thin layer of Milk of Magnesia, applied via cottonball.  Let dry until clear.
4.  Liquid foundation.  I can't use the mineral ones, they don't cover the huge amounts of red in my complection, and powder only gathers in the lines and makes them look worse for me.  Let dry.
5.  Urban Decay eyeshadow primer potion.  AWESOME stuff!  Keeps your eyeshadow in place forEVER!  You can put a little under your eyes to hold your eyeliner too.  Let dry.
6.  I prefer creme eyeliner applied with an angled brush.  I think that it holds better and doesn't run when it gets wet.
7.  Basic blush, eyeshadow and waterproof mascara.
8.  I like the lip stains better than lipstick, since I don't have to re-apply.  Some need the clear coats, some don't.  A lot tend to dry out your lips, but if you stay hydrated and moisturize your lips during the week, it isn't that bad.

Generally I don't have to re-apply much during the day at all.  Once in a while I do need to touch up after Chess Match, but that's rather extreme physical exertion.

Hope this helps a little :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

sealion

Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Dracconia

I am going make up shopping soon for TRF...maybe I won't look like a raccoon at the end of the night!
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

Dracconia

I just thought of something else, I am going to TRF for the first time, and there are no showers there....

(I have been a spoiled rennie with my flushies and showers at Four Winds)

Any tips on staying as fresh as possible?
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

raevyncait

Quote from: Dracconia on October 05, 2009, 01:11:27 PM
I just thought of something else, I am going to TRF for the first time, and there are no showers there....

(I have been a spoiled rennie with my flushies and showers at Four Winds)

Any tips on staying as fresh as possible?

Any time that I won't have access to showers, I take baby wipes, which I can use to either wipe down completely, or just hit the major spots.  They are also awesome for taking off makeup when soap/water facilities aren't available. My preference is Huggies unscented, but the Parents Choice brand unscented will also do in a pinch.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Athena

Bare Escentuals is the best foundation I've ever used. It stays put and unlike liquid foundation doesn't melt off my face or feel like a kabuki mask. I highly recommend it, but you should sample before you buy because some people have a reaction to the minerals. It's pricier than drugstore cosmetics but one pot lasts a long time so it's worth it.

For lipstick, mascara, and eyeliner I go with inexpensive brands. I use Cover Girl Outlast lip color and Lash Blast waterproof mascara, plus waterproof eyeliner from Avon.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Adriana Rose

Baby wipes are fantastic!

Olay makes these face wipe thingies that are great for your face.