News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Quick, Cheap Kilt Help needed

Started by dragongirl, October 12, 2009, 09:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragongirl

I normally do not cheap out on my garb, butthis is not going to be "real" garb.  For a halloween show I'm doing this year, I have volunteered to dress as "Fat Bastard" from the Austin Powers movies.  I have the black hat, my ghillies and a sporan already.  I need a simple, as in last time I used a sewing machine I sewed my hair to my project, and very quick way to make a kilt and plaid. Since it for a one time use, I don't plan on spending more than $10.00.  I am also looking for extra wide leg socks white socks if anyone has any ideas on where to find them.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Kate XXXXXX

Take 5 yards of cheap plaid cotton.  Fray and inch at each end...  Measure off an 'apron' of about 1/3 of your waist measurement at each end.  Thumb-pleat the rest of the yardage to suit the back 2/3 of your waist measurement.  Stitch the whole lot, especially the pleats, down to some petersham.  Turn up a hem to fit, and press lightly.  Wrap round your middle and pin in place with nappy/kilt pins... 

Take another 4m of the same plaid.  Fray off the ends as before.  Wrap round where you like and pin in place with brooches at the shoulder and nappy/kilt pins at the waist.

Later you can take the whole thing to bits and make a nice pirate outfit for next year!   ;D

Lady Renee Buchanan

Adding to what Kate said, our Walmart always has lots of plaids in the $1.50/yd. bin, so you could get the yardage pretty cheap if your Walmart has a fabric dept.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

gem

Or just pleat the fabric and belt it on you.  Don't sew anything.  Milord's kilt has the pleats sewn permanently down, but my arisaidh is just fabric.

And FWIW, a sewing machine is a power tool.  The same precautions apply: keep your hair, eyes, fingers, jewelry, and loose clothes AWAY from the moving parts.