News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

the Faire's impact on newbies

Started by BobSmith, October 12, 2009, 09:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobSmith

Three of my friends and I have attended the faire every year since it opened 35 years ago and over the last few years we have all complained about the changes that have taken place at the faire.  We have whined about how it's not a real faire anymore and about how it won't hook people anymore and blah, blah, blah...

Well, opening weekend I took a newbie, in costume, for his first visit to the faire and he is hooked!  Walking around with him I watched his face and watched his eyes light up at the turn of every corner and my wife and I laughed everytime he saw someone wearing too little or not enough and it was great.  I enjoyed the faire thru him and realized that even though it might not be the faire I want it to be and it might not be the faire I have a wistful longing for, it's still a REALLY cool place to go and it still seems to be able to capture the imagination.

Jeff is was talking about when we could go back even before we left so I guess it's still a very cool faire!
There is no offense if none is taken.

Sir Martin

I'm glad your friend had a memorable experience.  It's probably natural for those of us who have been attending for several years to miss our favorite acts etc., but knowing that there are newbies who still find the magic is a good sign for the future of our faire.

wyckdblyss

I took a newbie on Sunday, in garb...even with the weather not being very cooperative, she is hooked...the entire way home she was talking about "the next time we go to faire".... ;D

Thinking about it, I may have created a monster...lol
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

bellevivre

My parents went to TRF back in the 80's- and would NOT allow my sister and I to attend till we were 'old enough'... at which time things had already begun to tame down...

Regardless, it's still a magical place for me... i dont care how often ive been there- the AIR is different there!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts