News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

some garb questions

Started by VintageJen1984, November 17, 2009, 10:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VintageJen1984

Hi! I just posted an introduction. At the last minute (as in I'm going to TRF ten days, and only have two days off besides Thanksgiving before then), I decided that this time I had to go in garb. Well I looked for patterns that were both A)affordable, and B)looked simple enough that I had enough time to make it.

So I settled on this, even though it's more medieval than renaissance: http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4491.htm the one in the bottom right hand quadrant. Is this a weird choice? I mean, I already bought the pattern and fabric so I guess it had better be alright. :) But usually you see straight out fantasy or more period...this seems early. It really doesn't bother me too much, because I like it, and because I plan on making something more H/A for next time, but the time crunch and the money crunch didn't allow it this year.

I don't have the hair of a fair maiden (its fairly short)...so I think I need to also make a headpiece/hat of some sort. What kind would yall recommend? Also I thought of making a pouch to carry my cash and keys (and cell, just in case my sister and I get separated), and a belt to hang it on. Do yall have examples of the kind of pouches that are standard?

Thanks!

bellevivre

the dress will work GREAT. People do all sorts of things- and most 'ren-wear' isnt actually very H/A at all!

Belts- a simple leather belt will work great, or, with that dress, go to the drapery section and get some drapery cord that matches. As for pouches, they are VERY simple to make- I'd recommend using your accent fabric- cut a circle (about 6 in diameter) and then a strip of fabric to go around it- you're essentially making a soft 'can'. Then turn the top edge under and make a drawstring casing- done! You can attach a loop to it to tie on the belt, or you can tie your drawstring together and just use that as your attachment- the weight of the bag will keep it pulled closed. I don't know how adept a seamstress you are, but if you feel confident, try different designs for your pouches- I always use my scraps to make interesting pouches- it's fun!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

VintageJen1984

Thanks! that is very helpful! I will see how big of pieces of fabric I have left after I cut everything today and play around and try to make a nice pouch.

ArielCallista

As for headpieces...if you want something cheap and simple you could always do something like the girls in red...

basically its a simple piece of fabric (something sheer that goes well with the fabric you've chosen for the dress) held on with some trim...you could even use a thinner version of whatever you use for a belt if you take bellevivre's suggestion about drapery cord... you'll just need a piece a few inches longer than the circumference of your head and you can tie the ends together...just an idea for a simple easy solution

Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

isabelladangelo

You might want to save your money and use the instructions below:

http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/Tunics/TUNICS.HTML - T-tunic.  To make the angel sleeves, just cut two triangles for the sleeves rather than rectangles.

http://www.wodefordhall.com/surcote.htm - Surcote.  I've used this pattern a lot and love it.  You can make minor adjustments to it so that it's useful for a variety of dresses.

Dinobabe

It's a really good looking dress.  My friend made it for her daughter this year.  Be aware that the back is a train and can be a bit bothersome.  We took hers and pinned it up from the inside and it looked pretty cool.  With that she was wearing Converse shoes underneath!  Teenage thing! :D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Sitara

I made that for my step daughter, I removed the train and made the dress reversible.  It is a lovely dress.  She also has short hair, if she wears anything on her head with it, it is a circlet.  She sometimes throws a bodice on top of it and has 2 different sleeve options.  It also looks nice with a chemise under it, but I made the upper right one.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

VintageJen1984

Quote from: Sitara on November 18, 2009, 08:08:26 PM
I made that for my step daughter, I removed the train and made the dress reversible.  It is a lovely dress.  She also has short hair, if she wears anything on her head with it, it is a circlet.  She sometimes throws a bodice on top of it and has 2 different sleeve options.  It also looks nice with a chemise under it, but I made the upper right one.
You made the whole thing reversible? wow! I hadn't thought of this as the sort of pattern you could use a bodice over, so thats something to think about for later. I like how it's more medieval that way, because I can wear it to Sherwood Forest (which I just found out about) later and it will be pretty perfect, and maybe to other more renaissance-era faires with a bodice, now that you've given me that suggestion!
How short is her hair? Mines in this shaggy-I-want-to-grow-it-out-but-don't-have-the-patience-for-the-in-between-stages mess and I think a circlet might make it look worse, haha! I have no problem wearing things on my head, I wear hats all the time.

VintageJen1984

Quote from: Dinobabe on November 18, 2009, 10:04:24 AM
It's a really good looking dress.  My friend made it for her daughter this year.  Be aware that the back is a train and can be a bit bothersome.  We took hers and pinned it up from the inside and it looked pretty cool.  With that she was wearing Converse shoes underneath!  Teenage thing! :D
I liked that it has a train! But I can understand why that would be bothersome. The fabrics I'm using are pretty washable, so I might not bother with pinning it up, but how did you do it? I'm planning to wear brown suede boots, just because in case they show, they'll look better than any other shoes I have.

Dinobabe

Quote from: VintageJen1984 on November 18, 2009, 10:34:57 PM
Quote from: Dinobabe on November 18, 2009, 10:04:24 AM
I liked that it has a train! But I can understand why that would be bothersome. The fabrics I'm using are pretty washable, so I might not bother with pinning it up, but how did you do it? I'm planning to wear brown suede boots, just because in case they show, they'll look better than any other shoes I have.

Safety pins while standing at the faire entrance! :D

I'm sure you can come up with something better; ahead of time!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Sitara

Quote from: VintageJen1984 on November 18, 2009, 10:32:30 PM
Quote from: Sitara on November 18, 2009, 08:08:26 PM
You made the whole thing reversible? wow! I hadn't thought of this as the sort of pattern you could use a bodice over, so thats something to think about for later. I like how it's more medieval that way, because I can wear it to Sherwood Forest (which I just found out about) later and it will be pretty perfect, and maybe to other more renaissance-era faires with a bodice, now that you've given me that suggestion!
How short is her hair? Mines in this shaggy-I-want-to-grow-it-out-but-don't-have-the-patience-for-the-in-between-stages mess and I think a circlet might make it look worse, haha! I have no problem wearing things on my head, I wear hats all the time.

Paige's hair is about 6 inches long, I think it looked fine.  I don't know if we got any pictures of her wearing it, but I will look around.  If you want, I can throw the dress onto the form and take some of just the dress as well as how it looks with a bodice for you.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Aunty Lou

Used this pattern exclusively for all 10 women in "Once Upon a Mattress", with variations on sleeve and color schemes, looked fantastic!  Like a fantasy coloring book! 
     For the headpieces, for some I used a wide, fabric-covered headband, painted gold, & glued on some crystals and sheer fabric off the back to cover short hair.  Other girls, with shoulder length hair, we braided with two braids, and wove in extra yarns that matched the dresses, and extended the braids practically to the floor!  (Low tech extentions!)

VintageJen1984

OY!  ??? ??? ??? Okay, so for those of you who have made this dress with sleeves, did you have any trouble with the gusset? It's being very wonky and not sitting right. I've only done the one sleeve and haven't put the sleeves on the lining yet, thank goodness, one out of four messed up is enough for me. I tried it on without sleeves and it looks AWESOME...I put the set in sleeve on, it looks great...I put the gusset in and DISASTER. (And honestly, set in sleeves usually do not HAVE gussets. I would leave it out except my fat arms will not fit without it.) HELP!!!

Jademozingo

I was also considering this pattern, and you say it looks well with a bodice over?  As far as the online tunic pattern, joannes and hancock both run 99 cent or 1.99 sales and as fair isn't until june I can wait it out.  But this sounds as if it may be the mutitasker I've been looking for.

Jade