News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The R/F Cookbook

Started by Baron Doune, June 17, 2008, 07:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

*Teach*

This is mine as I learned as a kid. Growing up eating Cajun food is not a bad thing to do...

Sausage Jambalaya
1 lb.   sausage (or any left over meat from the grill or Andoulle and Party Time links or shrimp or... whatever lol )
1 rib   celery
½ lg.   onion
½ lg.   bell pepper
1 can   beef broth (not concentrated)
1 stalk green onion tops
¼ bunch of parsley
2 cups of raw rice (cook as directed)

Chop celery, onion and bell pepper. 
Chop green onion tops and parsley, set aside. 
Cut up meat into bite size pieces. 

Sauté meat and chopped vegetables.
Season to taste. 
Add beef broth and bring to a boil. 
Add rice, green onion tops and parsley.

Serves 4 to 6 people.

*Hurricanes are a perfect rum drink to go with this btw*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Sonata

Quote from: Molden on January 08, 2009, 07:19:55 PM
Molden's Dragon's Eggs

<snip yummy stuff>
People usually assume they would be hotter than Hades...but in the grilling process, the jalapeno generally loses it's heat and green flavor, taking on more of a nutty flavor.

<snip lots of other yummy stuff and a bit at the end that sounds a bit painful>

ENJOY!   :D

I have to ask, because I'm a heat coward. Really loses its heat, as in no heat like a bell pepper? Or just gets less hot than a regular jalapeno??
Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the fallen angel meets the rising ape. Terry Pratchett

DonaCatalina

This will blow you away. It is vwery tasty and very easy.

Carne con Tocino

4 lbs eye of round steak cut into 1" slices
1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 large white onion sliced very thin
3 cups carrots sliced into matchsticks
2 garlic cloves minced
8 slices bacon, half-cooked
Salt
Pepper
1/8 teaspoon Celery seed
1/8 teaspoon Ground Thyme
½ cup Sherry or Madeira
½ cup dry red wine

Coat meat slices with seasonings, salt & pepper to taste. Heat heavy skillet over low heat. Arrange steaks in bottom of skillet in one layer. Layer half-cooked bacon over steaks. Layer sliced onion next and then carrots. Reserve the mushrooms for later.
Do Not Stir.

Cook over low heat for 2 hours. Then spread the sliced mushrooms over the top and add Sherry and wine to mixture.

Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Serve over rice.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

RenRobin

Quote from: Sonata on January 15, 2009, 02:23:07 PM
Quote from: Molden on January 08, 2009, 07:19:55 PM
Molden's Dragon's Eggs

<snip yummy stuff>
People usually assume they would be hotter than Hades...but in the grilling process, the jalapeno generally loses it's heat and green flavor, taking on more of a nutty flavor.

<snip lots of other yummy stuff and a bit at the end that sounds a bit painful>

ENJOY!   :D

I have to ask, because I'm a heat coward. Really loses its heat, as in no heat like a bell pepper? Or just gets less hot than a regular jalapeno??

No there is still a little heat, but not much.  I have had the pleasure of having a few of Molden's Dragon Eggs...they are delightful! ;D :o ;D

Loki-terr (in training)

LadyDracolich

A word to the wise regarding Molden's Dragon Eggs.... WEAR GLOVES!!!  HOLY COW!!  My hands are on fire from gutting those jalapeno suckers!!  ARGH!!!  LOL

They are going to be yummy!!!  Mwahahaha! :)
I don't know what you've heard, none of it is factual, but it's all true.

kcdcchef

two reccomended reads along these lines, shakespeare's kitchen, amazing recipes from way back when, and also, the photography is out of this world. also, dining at monticello. now, even though it's fast forwarding a few hundred years in world history, the recipes haven't changed that much from 1500-1700. Great stuff.

Molden

Quote from: LadyDracolich on September 23, 2011, 04:54:40 PM
A word to the wise regarding Molden's Dragon Eggs.... WEAR GLOVES!!!  HOLY COW!!  My hands are on fire from gutting those jalapeno suckers!!  ARGH!!!  LOL

They are going to be yummy!!!  Mwahahaha! :)

Now I did mention NOT TOUCHING eyes, nose or sensitive parts during the process...  ;)

I tried gloves once when making a larger batch, but ended up accidentally cutting them while processing the peppers and thus ended up with the same result. I will say, if you do this often enough you do build up a tolerance. Nowadays my hands just come away "tingly". (I still do NOT touch any of the aforementioned places tho...no tolerance there.)  :P
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

raevyncait

This has become a staple at our house, and is generally what I take as my contribution to Saturday night dinner when camping as it's easy to prepare ahead, store in gallon size ziploc bags, freeze, and then use as an icepack in the cooler until it's time to heat, and it heats pretty quickly in the evening for dinner:

8 Can Soup

1 lb ground meat, crumbled, browned & drained (I've used turkey, beef & bison)
3 cans minestrone soup
2 cans ranch style beans
2 cans kernel corn
1 can Rotel (or similar) diced tomatoes
Combine all ingredients in large crock pot or stock pot and let simmer a couple hours to fully mix flavors. It can also be simmered on low all day without it being a problem.  This will fill my 6 quart crock pot, easily.  If I need to stretch it, I add a can or two of broth (chicken or beef, depending of if I'm using turkey or beef)
Serve with crackers & shredded cheese
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Merlin the Elder

Mmm! That made my mouth water, Raevyncait.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...