News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Clans

Started by FreyBjorn, December 16, 2013, 08:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreyBjorn

If I were to look for a clan to camp with, what is the recommended way to do so? If I could only make one weekend a year because of distance would it even make sense to try?

Thanks!
Freybjorn
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

KiltedPrivateer

There are groups that don't mind sheltering the lonely wanderer.  So long as you are not asking to bring along your gaggle of friends.  Though, not all of them are represented on this forum.

Most of the clans are made up of people who have been going to faire together for a very long time, which is what brought them to be with a particular clan. 

The best way to get invited to camp is to visit the clans after the faire has closed for the day.  Hang out with us around our fires and socialize.  At Sherwood, it is fairly easy to make your way around the circle and visit each of the clans.  It won't take you long to figure out which ones you feel at home with and which ones probably don't fit your lifestyle.

Spend more times with those who you click with and if they feel the same, they'll invite you back and offer some space to setup your tent.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

FreyBjorn

Thanks for the thoughts!
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

*Teach*

Quote from: KiltedPrivateer on December 17, 2013, 12:25:47 PM
There are groups that don't mind sheltering the lonely wanderer.  So long as you are not asking to bring along your gaggle of friends.  Though, not all of them are represented on this forum.

Most of the clans are made up of people who have been going to faire together for a very long time, which is what brought them to be with a particular clan. 

The best way to get invited to camp is to visit the clans after the faire has closed for the day.  Hang out with us around our fires and socialize.  At Sherwood, it is fairly easy to make your way around the circle and visit each of the clans.  It won't take you long to figure out which ones you feel at home with and which ones probably don't fit your lifestyle.

Spend more times with those who you click with and if they feel the same, they'll invite you back and offer some space to setup your tent.
Ditto

*but with rum*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

crashbot

Not in a clan, but you are welcome to swing by and hang out with a few more Vikings.  We drink warm beer, eat bad food, and look funny.
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

SirRichardBear

Quote from: crashbot on December 18, 2013, 11:42:21 AM
Not in a clan, but you are welcome to swing by and hang out with a few more Vikings.  We drink warm beer, eat bad food, and look funny.

???? Isn't that the English?  Oh wait Viking English same thing.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Johnny Stache

Ye who aren't in a clan should help me form mine. The Warrior Poets!!!
"I'm a rambler I'm a gambler, I'm a long way from home, and them that don't like me can leave me alone. I'll eat when I'm hungry, I'll drink when I'm dry, and if the Loki don't kill me, I'll live till I die!!"

Breandan

having been saddled with the "management", if you will, of my own family clan courtesy of inheriting the position from my grandfather *grumbles at his grave*, I have never joined a camping clan. My own blood-clan is such a PITA to manage- seriously, getting a bunch of Irish to do anything resembling organization around the holidays and such is like herding rabid cats... that are on fire... wearing fish sweaters covered in catnip- the extra headaches are daunting. So, I tend to flit about like a social butterfly of sorts, so you're in good company in that regard. The one clan we DO camp with regularly is McShuggenah, due in large part to the "Keepeth Thy Drama Beyond Our Gates" policy, but they only camp together once a season.
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

Johnny Stache

Lovely descriptives there sir.
"I'm a rambler I'm a gambler, I'm a long way from home, and them that don't like me can leave me alone. I'll eat when I'm hungry, I'll drink when I'm dry, and if the Loki don't kill me, I'll live till I die!!"