News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Most annoying question at faire? and your answer.

Started by Queen Bonnie, February 14, 2010, 03:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angusmacinnes

What is under me kilt is all that the good lord blessed me with.  Now, move along. :lmao
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Finnian

Oh man..I forgot...when I wear a kilt out of my faun garb, I ALWAYS wear Monty Python underwear. They have drawings and stupid quotes from Holy Grail on them, so if someone get's an eye full we all get a laugh.

One says "I fart in your general direction" on the butt, another has the black knight all stumpy and says a few things like "It's just a flesh wound" and "I've had worse". lol

Dinobabe

Quote from: Finnian on February 23, 2010, 04:14:20 PM
Oh man..I forgot...when I wear a kilt out of my faun garb, I ALWAYS wear Monty Python underwear. They have drawings and stupid quotes from Holy Grail on them, so if someone get's an eye full we all get a laugh.

One says "I fart in your general direction" on the butt, another has the black knight all stumpy and says a few things like "It's just a flesh wound" and "I've had worse". lol

And then there are the people that just don't get Monty, like my husband... ::)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Drac

Quote from: LadyElizabeth on February 23, 2010, 02:30:00 PM
I'm sure they see the connection, I definitely do.  But then again, haven't you seen women getting fondled very often at fair?  With or without their permission at times!!  So it's about time men feel what it's like... haha...

That is why I am very careful to use the terms ladies and gentlemen.  
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Carl Heinz

Quote from: will paisley on February 23, 2010, 02:45:17 PM
What faires are you going to?  I haven't seen too terribly much of this at faire, and what bit I have seen was entirely consensual.  If any woman at my home faire let it be known that she was displeased with being touched inappropriately, a world of hurt would be visited upon said transgressor in a heartbeat.

You better believe it!  Although patrons/playtrons don't have the same rules, participants are NOT to touch without clear permission.  In my case, I carry a finger puppet of Lightning and with parent's permission will tickle at if not actually touch a child.  I'll have to say, though, that there is the occasional person who will drape themselves over my shoulder for a picture.  If that starts to get too close, I haul out the raven puppet (Crack the Lecher) and point his beak at an appropriate portion of the other person's anatomy accompanied by a cackle and comment.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Merlin

Quote from: Carl Heinz on February 23, 2010, 05:02:10 PM
Quote from: will paisley on February 23, 2010, 02:45:17 PM
What faires are you going to?  I haven't seen too terribly much of this at faire, and what bit I have seen was entirely consensual.  If any woman at my home faire let it be known that she was displeased with being touched inappropriately, a world of hurt would be visited upon said transgressor in a heartbeat.

You better believe it!  Although patrons/playtrons don't have the same rules, participants are NOT to touch without clear permission.  In my case, I carry a finger puppet of Lightning and with parent's permission will tickle at if not actually touch a child.  I'll have to say, though, that there is the occasional person who will drape themselves over my shoulder for a picture.  If that starts to get too close, I haul out the raven puppet (Crack the Lecher) and point his beak at an appropriate portion of the other person's anatomy accompanied by a cackle and comment.

I'm not sure that anyone falls under the "it's OK to touch".... be it paytron or not. I usually shave my head for Merlin and for some reason people want to rub it.
When they do...I start touching their face.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Adriana Rose

My shop is next to a pub and sometimes i get the drunk idots that think no means yes and get lost means take me I'm yours.

Ive had one drunken idot try to straight up grab my chest, he got sprayed in the face from me. I carry a spray bottle to help keep the flowers fresh.

angusmacinnes

I am sorry but being intoxicated is no excuse for poor manners.  IMHO
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

kcdcchef

my favorite since i dont do garb too often these days................

do you have to go in period dress??

my answer-- yes. they shoot you on sight if you are in jeans. they pull out their renaissance era guns and shoot you.

Adriana Rose

Merlin

Quote from: kcdcchef on February 23, 2010, 06:38:35 PM
my favorite since i dont do garb too often these days................

do you have to go in period dress??

my answer-- yes. they shoot you on sight if you are in jeans. they pull out their renaissance era guns and shoot you.

Bahahaha... had this one too from friends... I always tell them "No...you don't have to but you'll look like a weirdo if you don't."

Makes an eyebrow raise...
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

ladylissame

Quote from: Dinobabe on February 22, 2010, 07:38:52 PM
Why is it that people think it's OK (without permission) to touch, pull, feel, poke, and prod you just because you are in "costume"!?
All they have to do is ask.
That happened to my poor sister at my wedding. I had a renaissance themed wedding so my ladies were in garb and she was maid of honor. My mom's family kept poking her bodice, in disbelief that there was actually steel boning in there.

Finnian

I saw a guy in a Star Trek uniform this weekend at faire, and when we saw him I had to quote an episode of King of the Hill that takes place at a renaissance faire:

"I am from the future, the future is a period, ergo this is a period costume!"

We had a good laugh.

ItsTheBishop

"Are you a wizard?"

Usually this is asked by small children. It's a great opportunity to explain to them about friars and all of that. Granted, there weren't many friars in England by the end of Henry's reign.

SirRichardBear

Merlin interesting my step grandfather had a shaved head and I remember people use to come over to him and rub his head for luck since he was from the old country and those doing the rubbing were from the old country I thought it was an Italian thing.  I haven't thought of that for years.  Thanks for remaining me of a pleasent member of my step grandfather.  But I can't beleive people would do that to someone they don't know very well.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin