News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Please help me decide! First time buying a costume for the festival!

Started by Gislaine Peters, May 19, 2010, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen_of_Navarre

Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

Gislaine Peters

Thank you. :) I might just end up buying something at the fair cause I'll be able to see it on myself. If I get something over the internet it might not fit right. My mom reminded me that I have scoliosis (curvature of the spin) and some things are crooked on me. Also my body is not proportioned whatsoever. haha! big butt and thighs tiny waste and chest.

Bonny Pearl

Well congratulations on your hard work in school paying off for you!  The best is yet to come!  :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Bonny Pearl

Just an fyi....The links I posted are all people who will make things to order, per your measurements.  So if you decide you find something you really like in the future, they will take the factors you just stated here into consideration when making your garb.

Oh and NOONE has the perfect figure!  It's all in how you view and appreciate yourself.  ;)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Gislaine Peters

Thank you! This will be my first festival as a college student! So excited!
I totally agree about the body thing. I love my body just the way it is. :) The festival costumes make everyone look beautiful!

Blue66669

Oh girl, I made that mistake dancing once.... Now I always wear tights underneath. It's a necessity LOL.
Blaidd Drwg

Queen_of_Navarre

Belly Dance Treasures is a easy starter type outfit that is pretty affordable and hold up well to washing and wear. Elastic in the pants and the top is a tie on make them a fit any type of body basic outfit.  I am sure there a plenty of similar type dance costumes out there. Or find someone who will whip you up a costume in colorful cotton gaze from a basic belly dance pattern. It shouldn't be expensive to get you started. Good luck...
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

Gislaine Peters

Thank you all for all you help! If I get enough money and my mom okays it I'm going to buy an outfit from velvet peacock designs. They are amazing! :) If not then I'll buy something at the festival! If any of you guy are in Michigan I'll see you at the festival! I'm so excited for it! I wish I could just live there!

Poldugarian Warrior

I like the black and gold one. quite classy, not too much leg showing, and the colors are just right. It depends on how much you want to spend also. You could also add some accesories to that dress, and it would really look period such as pouches, jewelry, a dagger, a nice corset/bodice. Good Luck with putting together your costume and have fun with it.

Ellaris

I spent my graduation money on garb also. It seems to be a common occurrence among us younger rennies. Just remember you get what you pay for and don't settle for something just because it may be a tad bit cheaper than another product. Buy something you truly love and are comfortable in and you'll never want to take it off.
There's no place like faire

Poldugarian Warrior

Let me tell you buy your expensive garb and equipment now, that's to men and women at this young age. The prices have gone up, and your first garb/equipment purchase(s) will be your best, because your young and full of ideas. Then as you go on the stuff wears well with you and you keep getting more and more ideas to incorporate into your persona through your garb. I bought my leather pauldrons(shoulder armor) when I was 19, and I then bought a cuirass, leg armor, bracers, a belt, pouches, bags, a helmet, you see where I'm going. Buy while your young, as you get old, you find money doesn't go as far when you have bills.

NefariousDrO

How true that is! My response has been to start making stuff myself, but not everybody wants to take that path, which I can definitely understand! Look carefully, and pick the one you think is best, even if it is a bit more expensive that you'd planned. You can always add more in later years, but nothing sucks more than spending hard-earned cash on something that wears out after only a year or two!

Blue66669

Blaidd Drwg

Poldugarian Warrior

Yeah, period footwear doesn't last unless, you wear moccasins, but the more stylized stuff, you have to really be sure your getting good craftsmanship.

Madge Estes

Live so your dreams recognize you.