News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Good old days

Started by fluffy tail, June 12, 2008, 02:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluffy tail

We all have them... "remember when you could do this...?

With school out and kids everywhere. I remember when I could hop on my bike (one speed) in the morning, pack a lunch and be gone all day riding all the back farm roads until about dinner time. You could be gone all day and parents knew you'd be safe and they never needed to worry.

Favorite ride was to an old railroad bridge by Scott Field and eat lunch and wait for a train to go under the bridge. Yep remember it as Scott Field before it became a big Air Force base. At that time you could just ride through the gate and just wave hi. No ID, or state your business.
IWG #3371
Royal Wine Taster
Tinker #2
FOKTOP
landshark #38

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

The good ole days I remember is gas for $.50 cents a gallon. I could fill my gas hog of a pick-up full for just about $10 bucks and we thought that it was expensive then. Hardly ever did we have to fill up unless we traveled someplace like to the mountains.

Boy those days are sure LONGGGGGGGGGGGG gone. Now it takes me almost $70 to fill up my fuel effeciant vehicle and I have to do that once a week just so I can back and forth to work.

OYE boy, where those the good ole days.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

festmum

My first car took only $5 to fill the tank...it was a Ford Maverick.

I remember when all the speed limits on the highways were 75 m.p.h. and not just a scattered few. 

I remember the previous "fuel shortage" when they raised the prices and rationed gas.  People lined up for miles to get fuel.

I remember the food boycots of the 70's...especially red meats.

I remember Billy Beer.  Jaque Cousteau.

I remember "Song of the South" by Disney.

Zipadee Doo Dah...Zipadeeyay...my my my what a wonderful day.  Plenty of Sunshine headed my way. Zipadeedoodah.  Zipadeeyay.

I LOVED Uncle Remus!!!   :'( :'(

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Also in the good ole days

Mutual of Omaho's WIld Kingdom on Sunday Evenings hosted by Marlin Perkins
Wonderful world of Disney that was good family TV not this Gray's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, CSI New York, etc...
Pop in a bottle for $.25 cents and candy bars for a dime.
$.25 cent comic books
No worry about solminilia scares on any food
No Echolie (sp) scres on meet
NO WAR! NO TERRORISM!
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

festmum

I remember FULL SERVICE gas pumps...S&H Greenstamps!

fluffy tail

Remember having to wear dresses or skirts until a junior in high school because pants weren't allowed.

8 tracks

When stores closed on Sundays and you really had a day of rest or atleaast a break in the work week.

Penniy candy (and it still was a decent size)

Sonic booms....loved hearing them

Ans yep we did the S&H Greenstamps too.
IWG #3371
Royal Wine Taster
Tinker #2
FOKTOP
landshark #38

KeeperoftheBar

Quote from: festmum on June 12, 2008, 07:31:00 PM
I remember Billy Beer. 

Oh, yes, Billy Beer.  I still think it was Bud filtered through Billy....

I remember driving to Wyoming from Montana to buy Coors as it was only sold in certain States.  Now, after tasting Guiness, Belhaven & Bass I wonder why I bothered.

I remember when MTV actually had music videos and was only on the air for about 1/2 a day.

I remember (and miss) the days when teachers could beat their students for acting up in class then the student would get another one upon getting home for the same reason.

I remember when children's activities were not organized and/or regulated.  All the neighborhood kids would get together in an empty lot and place baseball, football or whatever they wanted.

Yup, I'm offically an Old Fart now.

Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Morgan Dreadlocke

When surfboards was 10' plus, an ya could spend the weekend campin' at Laguna Nigel, on the beach, fer free. When an 8 second run at Lions drag strip got ya a trophy in top fuel. When ya could fly .35 combat in the local schoolyard wi'out gettin chased off by the cops. When the big events in high school gymnastics was swinging rings an rope climb. When the hot item in car sound systems was a reverb switch.

I misses Hootennanny :'(
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

fluffy tail

Quote from: KeeperoftheBar on June 13, 2008, 12:34:08 PM
I remember (and miss) the days when teachers could beat their students for acting up in class then the student would get another one upon getting home for the same reason.

It sure kept kids in line then.

Hey I remember Hootennanny too.

May not be an old fart, just rather well seasoned.
IWG #3371
Royal Wine Taster
Tinker #2
FOKTOP
landshark #38

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

When Cartoons were on Saturday morning and they were REAL cartoons, not this Ed, Edd, and Eddy crap.

Gotta Love Bugs Bunny and crew, Tennesee Tuxedo, Hanna Barbara, Tutor the Turtle, Underdog, WOW what cartoons
"The Metal Maiden"

Morgan Dreadlocke

Heh heh heh, Crusader Rabbit rules.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

Sir William Marcus

Did someone say "Crusade!?"  Great memories everyone as I can relate to almost all.  We also used to have a milkman and a eggman back in the day too.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

PrincessSara

I'm a little young, so my good old days are going to be a little later.

I remember when we had one computer, which ran on DOS, and it was in the basement.  We didn't have the internet.  We had a game or two on it, but mostly we played OUTSIDE.  With real toys, and games we made up ourselves and had to use our imaginations for.

I remember when kids were allowed to see violent cartoons, before Treehouse (which I think is a load of crap).  When I was a kid, I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Super Mario Brothers, She-Ra, Captain N, Megaman, Legend of Zelda, Power Rangers, etc. 

I remember Atari.  And when Super Nintendo was the best thing around, and you were totally l33t if you beat Super Mario Brothers.

I remember when Spandex was cool.

I remember when JT was just Justin from N*Sync.  And when the Spice Girls were popular.  (it feels like a long time ago)

And I remember Care Bears before the Care Bear Cousins.

Welsh Wench

I remember circling the Big Boy drive-in and waiting to see who would be there on a Friday night.
Circle three times and it was known you were looking for a drag-race.
And there were no drive-by shootings.

I remember Big Boys with onion rings and strawberry pie...

I remember when the drinking age was 18 for 3.2 beer so we drank twice as much.
I also remember drinking Ripple and Boones Farm Strawberry Hill because that was all we could afford.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

The Amadan

Quote from: Lady_Delaney on June 13, 2008, 09:06:05 AM
Mutual of Omaho's WIld Kingdom on Sunday Evenings hosted by Marlin Perkins
Wonderful world of Disney that was good family TV
My whole family circled around the B & W Zenith, watching them. Was the only night out of the week we kids were allowed any soda pop.

Quote from: Lady_Delaney on June 13, 2008, 02:26:41 PM
When Cartoons were on Saturday morning and they were REAL cartoons
Gotta Love Bugs Bunny and crew, Tennesee Tuxedo, Hanna Barbara, Tutor the Turtle, Underdog, WOW what cartoons
Don't forget Tom & Jerry, Bullwinkle & Rocky, Flintstones, Beanie & Cecil, George of the Jungle...

Playing Little league baseball, half the town came to watch, and not one parent got out of line.
Getting on my bike, running around with friends 'til dark... and Mom not worrying.
Camping in the backyard with my older brothers.
'Tubing down the local creek.
Dirt piles.
Real metal Tonka trucks.
Being fearful of uttering the words "I'm bored" in front of my parents.
One black dial-type phone in the house... on a party line.
Going out for family dinner at a restaurant was a monthly treat, not a daily expectation.
Tree houses.
Go-carts made from old bike parts & lawn mower engines.
Scrapes & bruises from Go-carts made from old bike parts & lawn mower engines

***Slorach wipes a nostalgic tear from the corner of his ancient eye***
The Amadan
BoTK #97
Founder: Loyal Order of Lemmings
Laird Protector of Sarcasm, Clan Ootland
Generally Silly Man