News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help a newbie with her bodice

Started by tigrlily64, July 03, 2008, 04:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigrlily64

So, I finally got the bodice I wanted, and my mom and I are just staring at it, wondering exactly how it's supposed to be laced.  From top to bottom?  The reverse?  It probably ends  up like a shoe, right?  Then how do you tie it?  In a bow?

Thanks for helping me out.

robert of armstrong

The way it was explained to my wife and I is that a proper, chaist lady is laced from the top down, tying at the bottom.  Required more time and effort for the, um, err, well, you know, to be exposed.

Faster women would be laced from the bottom up, making exposure, should it be warranted, quicker and easier.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

isabelladangelo

The historical way to lace

Anything else is Renn Faire myths and person choice.

Master James

Quote from: isabelladangelo on July 03, 2008, 05:03:08 PM
The historical way to lace

Anything else is Renn Faire myths and person choice.

Not only is this historically acurate, its WAY easier than modern methods and it holds far better too!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Margaret

Spiral lacing is difficult if not impossible if the holes are not off set.  The ladder lacing works great though.

I lace my front closing 'wench' bodices starting at the bottom and ending at the top - tied in a bow.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Master James

quote author=Margaret link=topic=1926.msg28619#msg28619 date=1215126904]
Spiral lacing is difficult if not impossible if the holes are not off set.  The ladder lacing works great though.

I lace my front closing 'wench' bodices starting at the bottom and ending at the top - tied in a bow.
[/quote]

Not true at all.  My wife has several bodices with grommets that are not offset and it spiral laces very nicely.  You just go across, and then up one and then across and then up one, etc....  Works perfectly.[
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

isabelladangelo

As Master James said, it's fine if the lacing holes/rings aren't off set.  I always spiral lace and never have had a problem.  Ladder lacing is actually harder for me.  Just try both and see which one you prefer.

gypsylakat

I had seen a few examples where the holes weren't offset and it caused the bottom or top to not match up (with spiral lacing)
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Master James

Quote from: gypsylakat on July 03, 2008, 08:54:42 PM
I had seen a few examples where the holes weren't offset and it caused the bottom or top to not match up (with spiral lacing)

I have seen that happen too but that is usually when the top is not finished off properly.  You must start you bow around not only your last lace but the one before it as well and pull them both together with a half hitch (first part of the bow for you knotically challenged people  ;D).  Then you finish it off with a half bow and it is just fine.
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Once Debauched

Quote from: Master James on July 03, 2008, 09:40:52 PM
Quote from: gypsylakat on July 03, 2008, 08:54:42 PM

I have seen that happen too but that is usually when the top is not finished off properly.  You must start you bow around not only your last lace but the one before it as well and pull them both together with a half hitch (first part of the bow for you knotically challenged people  ;D).  Then you finish it off with a half bow and it is just fine.

Is this how everyone is tying off their spiral lacing?  I've often wondered HOW these single strand lacings were tied.
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

Baroness Doune

Depends how the lacing ends up.

I have a corset where the lacing ends up on the outside of the bottom.  I go back through the same hole, round the boned edge, and stick the end through the little loop created.

I could also go back through the hole on the opposite side and bring the ends in between the boned edges and tie off at the last crossing point with a half hitch or double half hitch.

Or use the end to do a half hitch around the last crossing point. Double half hitch also works.

I have a bodice laced with a long doubled shoestring.  I lace from bottom to top and the lacings end up on the outside.  I go back through the hole on the opposite side and tie off with a little bow, which is then tucked in the top of the bodice.

renren

I never knew their was so much to learn about lacing!

I have a question, is it hard to find grommets/eyelets large enough when using 2 laces/strands?

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Once Debauched on July 05, 2008, 09:19:59 AM

Is this how everyone is tying off their spiral lacing?  I've often wondered HOW these single strand lacings were tied.

I just do a single tie at the top of the lacing, lace down, and do another tie around at the bottom.   Basically, you make a loop and stick one end of the lacing through the loop.  Everyone does it different and the paintings show a couple of different methods...

isabelladangelo

Quote from: renren on July 05, 2008, 11:32:33 AM

I never knew their was so much to learn about lacing!

I have a question, is it hard to find grommets/eyelets large enough when using 2 laces/strands?

Grommets come in all sizes (go to your local boat store to see some really big ones).  However, I would stay away from them if possible.  Grommets tend to wear at the fabric and cause damage later on.   I'd use lacing rings (typically the home decorating area of a fabric store but you can get them online) or just hand sewn eyelets instead.

Out of curiosity, why would you use two laces?

renren

to quote Baroness.. unless I misunderstood.
"have a bodice laced with a long doubled shoestring.  I lace from bottom to top and the lacings end up on the outside.  I go back through the hole on the opposite side and tie off with a little bow, which is then tucked in the top of the bodice."
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL