News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help a newbie with her bodice

Started by tigrlily64, July 03, 2008, 04:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baroness Doune

I use 00 size grommets.  The 00 size is as small as grommets come.

For lacings where I am concerned about authenticity, I use sewn eyelets which are quite a bit smaller than the 00 size grommets.  A bodkin is usually needed to lace up.

The reason for the double lacing of the bodice was because the shoestring was very long and I was reluctant to cut because it would have frayed badly.  Those plastic ends on shoelaces allow for easy lacing.  The doubled shoestring does cover up a bit more of the non period grommets.

renren

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Master James

Lacing rings are also an option as they are period as well depending on the type of garb you are making.  Lacing rings were pretty expensive so they would go well with upper middle class and noble garb, probably not so well with the lower classes, if you are looking for authenticity that is.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Merry

Just to give another option....hand sewn lacing holes.  It you don't have access to a gromet tool, this works well.  It also is good for when you have to place a hole thru multiple layers of thick fabric!  I use a nice pointy knitting needle or awl to pierce the fabric...stretch the hole to the desired diameter and embroider a buttonhole/satin stitch along it's rim.   Restretch as needed and remember, the floss takes up space so make the hole a bit bigger to accomodate.   I prefer stretching the fabric to punching a hole because it makes the hole more stable, no broken threads to fray.  It makes a very strong lacing hole that holds up to even the tightest lacings.  Hand sewn lacing holes are also nice because you can choose the color of floss. 

Hand sewing the holes is also good for repairs.  It's almost impossible to re-attach a grommet, but you can repair the existing hole by hand sewing the satin stitch.  On the rest of the gromets that are still good...just sew over them:)  A little reinforcement never hurts. 

Randal

I just skimmed this topic, so please forgive me if I repeat something. Don't use satin ribbon for lacing. It will slip, and you'll spend all day worrying with it. If you must use ribbon, use grosgrain. It's much less likely to slip. Shoe laces are actually a good, practical lacing material. Rat-tail cord, in natural fibers, also works well, but may be difficult to untie at times, especially after it gets wet. Whatever you use, always carry an extra piece or two.

Randal
Vive Ut Vive