News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Can I come and play?

Started by ladyhawke, July 18, 2008, 11:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladyhawke

Quote from: Silverbee on July 23, 2008, 08:49:32 PM
Yay, someone asked the bra question!  I'm new to garbing as well and had wondered what to do about support.  I think I'll wait until my bodice gets here and see how much support it actually gives me.  I was thinking I may need to go with a strapless bra.

I will let you know how it works out for me too...one of the main reasons I went with the whole "wench" look, was to show off my assets!  I don't know if the strapless will do enough for me, but I am willing to experiment.  I am anticipating the need for some extra support!   ;D
Ladyhawke

Merry

A proper fitting bodice is key.  It will do most of the work for you.  For those more blessed, a bra finishes the job. 

Miranda

A well fitted bodice should work for any sized lady....thats what bodices are meant to do, support the girls.  If it doesn't something is wrong with the bodice, ie, not snug enough, fabric has too much give, etc. 
Often time the bra and bodice combo does more harm than good.
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.

AnyuBoo

Quote from: Miranda on July 24, 2008, 09:54:50 AM
Often time the bra and bodice combo does more harm than good.

I have to agree with that.  I tried the bodice/bra combo...the result at the end of the day was a very painful, deep groove around my chest and back made by the tight-fitting bodice over a strapless bra.  :o  Ouch.
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

Miranda

I've not experienced it first hand....but I've heard underwire bras are particularly nasty.  Not to mention that it buggers up the desired silhouette.
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.

isabelladangelo

I'm rather big and was a lot bigger before I got a reduction.  There really is nothing better than a proper fitted bodice.   Bras really weren't worn until the 1920's so people had to do something for the half million years before that to keep everything in place, right?  ;)  Breast bands will help if your bodice doesn't fit (and are far more comfortable than a bra) but, a proper fitted bodice is best.  Try some on at faire.  Even if you don't buy one there, you'll know what size to get and what to look for.

gem

When I bought my Ophelia's bodice (shown here w/o a bra), the shopkeeper told me that although their bodices are boned well enough to support  anybody, they actually advise people to wear a bra with them, for a couple of reasons:

1. It protects your, ahem, assets from getting caught in the laces
2. It's a lot easier to adjust your assets for a good fit if they're already contained.  The lacing goes much quicker, and you just reach in and hoist up with the strap when you need to adjust.

Her recommendation was actually to buy a demi-cup bra one cup size smaller than you usually wear, "and that's your bodice bra." 

That was, actually, the only day at Fair I *didn't* wear a bra under my garb.  I did it, just to say I could... but realized that those Ophelia's folk are wise, indeed.  (It also makes changing back into 'danes in the parking lot a lot easier. :))

ladyhawke

Thank you all so much for all your input!  There is indeed so much to learn.  I am hoping to get my bodice in a week or two, and I think I will try it on both ways, without and with the demi-cup as Gem has suggested.  If I wear it around the house for a few hours, I should get a feel for it...and my husband with get alittle wenchy faire treatment early! ;)  I will post pictures too!
Laurie
Ladyhawke

Lady Antoinette

Ladyhawke, you will love Sterling, I'm there on Saturday, can't wait!!!

Lady Caroline

I'll also be at Sterling for the final Saturday, maybe I'll see you there!  :)

ladyhawke

Sorry for the delay in reply but I have been away...but yes, can't wait for Sterling!  We are going to be there finale weekend!  I hope we can fit everything in in 1.5 days.  We are driving 4.5 hours to get there, so I don't think we can stay until close on Sunday...:(  I am waiting on my garb.  It should be here soon.  I will post a picture as soon as I have one, to show you how my garb all came together...then, you'll know who to look for!
Ladyhawke

daylight

Welcome to the fourm. I look forward to seeing pics of you and your family. Welcome ;D