News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help with Sculpey

Started by Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard, January 17, 2009, 10:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

I 'm trying to make my favors, and I'm doing this with sculpey. When the favor comes out of the oven is it suppose to be hard or does it get hard as it cools? What am I looking for?After trying a couple of times can you have to much powder in the sculpey?
HELP! & Thank you.
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Sonata

Sculpey (and all other commonly available polymer clays, to the best of my knowledge) should come out of the oven hard. If yours isn't, then you're probably either not baking long enough or your temp is too low.

You may need to get an oven thermometer to check your temp, in case the thermostat in your oven isn't calibrated correctly. Baking it at a temp that's too low results in incomplete firing and soft pieces, baking it too hot burns it - it stinks and can affect the color in weird ways.
Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the fallen angel meets the rising ape. Terry Pratchett

Sonata

Also:

1. How big are your pieces? The amount of clay that you're firing can affect the required baking time.

2. How much are you kneading the clay before you shape your pieces? If you're not kneading enough, the clay won't be fully blended and can crack really easily.

3. What to look for: The pieces shouldn't really look all that different, they'll just be hard. I think the clay shrinks a bit as it bakes, but I've never done a piece large enough for the shrinkage to be noticeable to the naked eye.
Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the fallen angel meets the rising ape. Terry Pratchett

Thanks Sonata, I'm going to put some in the oven now. They are all uniform in size and look pretty good. Wish me luck! Here goes. I'll be back to let you know the results. Thanks again, man I love this site. :D
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Sonata

No problem, glad to help! I love polymer clay  :D

Can't wait to see how they turn out... (*hint hint* pics!!)

LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Sonata

I'll have to look later today, I can't see the image on my work computer :(

Sonata

Very nice, I've always liked that design!

Thank you for all your help Sonata, much appreciated. ;D
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples