News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Steampunk and its growing following

Started by eloquentXI, June 01, 2009, 05:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eloquentXI

So after my trip to A-Kon on Saturday and seeing some incredible examples of Steampunk fashion, and then also having run into a few people out at faire and at Panoptikon, an Industrial club in Dallas, I wanted to create discussion.

For those who don't know about Steampunk, Wikipedia has a good description-

"Steampunk is a sub-genre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date."

further reading- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

I know that some consider there to be two separate versions of steam punk but I'm still in the new about this.

After seeing several awesome examples of steam punk, I'm catching the bug and looking at getting my first pair of goggles to be tweaked with gauges and maybe a monocle or something of the sort, and a brass and buckled corset.

Anyone else caught the bug? Or have tips or examples of costumes? :D
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Zaubon

You should have spoken sooner. I gave one of my Fae friends a pair of my old goggles closing weekend.

RenRobin

Taffy and Rani were talking about it on the TRF thread for possibly going Steampunk for Halloween weekend maybe ...if I read correctly.  Taffy is way into it.
Loki-terr (in training)

NoBill Lurker

So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

LadyShadow

Yes there is talk of a Steampunk invasion at TRF.  Something to do with a Gadget Girl? that has something to do with steampunk.

But yes, after seeing it posted here in the forums, I am starting to get really interested in it.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

eloquentXI

Quote from: Zaubon on June 01, 2009, 05:23:17 PM
You should have spoken sooner. I gave one of my Fae friends a pair of my old goggles closing weekend.

Its ok, I'm searching out for the right pair and I'll keep my eyes peeled on eBay and craigslist.
Making a trip to the Army-navy surplus and a couple good thrift stores in the next couple weeks.

Steampunk Invasion for TRF, you say? Hmmm...looks like I have a deadline now.  :D

LadyShadow

Try looking on backpage as well.  I usually have better luck with that then I do with craigslist.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Element of Air

Ah Steam punk, I learned of this about 2-3 years ago and have been in love with it. I have not yet had the time to sit down and create my costume just yet but I will, Oh believe me I will!
Royal Duchess of Air, Music and Beauty in the court of Queen Bonnie.
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks, Guppy No. 25

BubbleWright

Definitely go to Ebay to see elements used in Steampunk design, bits and pieces, and completed items. Type in Steampunk in the search line with all categories. It will bring up at least 30 pages. Happy hunting........
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Tipsy Gypsy

This gentleman stopped by Cast in Bronze at TRF last year, and graciously consented to a photograph. I thought it was nicely done:

"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

BamaWoodsman

If you're looking for goggles check with Virgil and Gary at Crimson Chain on myspace. They do some really cool ones that can even be given prescription lenses.

http://www.myspace.com/thecrimsonchain

Tim T

I really dig the whole steampunk thing as well.

Check out this link: http://www.deviantart.com/#catpath=artisan&order=9&q=steampunk

Deviant art is a site I use for inspiration when I have an idea for something.  It'll blow your mind how much stuff there is out there.  There's some really cool stuff out there.  Neat thing is, you can really let your creativity explode, as the genre has a particular style about itself, but is otherwise unbound.

NoBill Lurker-
Thanks for the Comic link!  I immediately recognized the drawing style as the same artist that did a graphic novel "Buck Godot: Zap Gun For hire" that I must have gotten when I was a teenager.  That was some time ago, now.  I'll have to check it out.
Tim
aka Dark'n M'Crack of Clan M'Crack/Clan White

Gwen aka Punstergal

Fellow steampunk fan checking in! I've done a few scraps of jewelry so far, as far as crafting goes, but mostly I've ogled other people's work. I have been collecting bits and pieces for one special costume though. I'm making my little girl (just turned two) a pair of steampunk fairy wings, the first part of a steampunk fairy costume for faire. I'm trying to make them in a middle size so that they're not too heavy for her, but not so small that I couldn't wear them for kicks if I felt like it. I'm really looking forward to the day when I actually get to sit down and put all the bits I'm collecting together! I'll be sure to post pics, of course :)
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

eloquentXI

I've known about steampunk for awhile, lightly, probably about a year or so, but I've never invested much into it...and now that I am, my mind is in hyperdrive, especially with the fact that here in Dallas, there are a lot of active steampunk-ers that hold events.

I've already got a friend who will make me a base sturdy corset with appropriate boning for very cheap and that's where I'm going to start, get old leather belts to add to it, and all the other random pieces.

Grov

Just another set of gear I can keep an eye out for.  Don't think there are any events near me, but I can try to get enough together for a TRF invasion for sure.  I was always a fan of the rpg Castle Falkenstein.  Never played it but always had an interest.  Weird science, touch of mysticism perhaps.  Just think League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-ish.  Hat, shoes, mask/goggles, coat, etc... And I just hit the thrift store earlier today, sigh.
I hope my life is an epic tale that ends well and everyone likes to read. --Grovdin Dokk