News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Whats on the History Channel

Started by Sir William Marcus, September 27, 2009, 11:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir William Marcus

Monday, September 28, 2009

10-11pm -- Clash of the Gods - Beowulf
The story of the Viking world's most famous warrior, the legend of Beowulf is the ultimate tale of courage. Pit against thirsty invaders, barbaric monsters, and a fire breathing dragon, Beowulf emerges as Norse mythology's greatest hero. But could this mythological warrior have been real? Unearthed burial mounds and ancient carvings suggest the myth of Beowulf could be more than epic legend.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Serenity

Awesome!  Thanks for posting this.  Will be trying to stay up for it.
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

Sir William Marcus

Thursday, October 1, 2009

10-12am -- Warrior Empire: The Mughals -
From 1526 to 1858, the Mughals, a dynasty of nomadic Asian rulers, created a massive and powerful empire covering much of India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, passing along an appetite for territory expansion and brutality. But they were also technological innovators and builders of some of the most enduring architecture in South Asia. Through their conquests and achievements, we learn about their military innovations like composite bows, matchlock guns, rocketry, chain mail, and cannons. We explore their feats of archery on horseback and use of elephants as fearsome weapons. And we examine their culture and enduring architecture, including palaces, forts, water systems, gardens, and the Taj Mahal--a tomb that took 22 years to build in honor of the most beloved of the sultan's wives. Join us for a sweeping history of the military ambition, innovative weapons and battle strategies, material excess, architectural wonders, and cultural flowering that shaped modern India.

Friday, October 2, 2009

8-9pm -- Modern Marvels - Axes
The axe is one of the world's oldest, most dangerous and efficient cutting tools. Watch as competitive lumberjacks and Jills chop through 12-inch logs in a matter of seconds. Visit one of the nation's largest axe manufacturers to see hot metal forged into a modern axe. Take a swing with a Vikings' battleaxe and then see which knight would win in a fight of sword versus axe. Learn why the Native American tomahawk is making a comeback as a modern tactical weapon. Finally, see how the classic fireman's axe has evolved into a trailer full of high tech rescue tools.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Sir William Marcus

Friday, October 30, 2009

7-8pm -- Modern Marvels - Castles & Dungeons.

Some of the most imposing structures ever built, medieval castles withstood both bloody assaults and the test of time. Designed like machines with nearly every architectural detail devoted to defense, castles represented the perfect fusion of form and function. Journey back to that unruly era as we examine the complexity of their construction and the multipurpose they served--homes to kings and nobles, economic centers, courthouses, treasuries, prisons, and torture chambers.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

7-8pm -- Modern Marvels - Halloween Tech
Halloween has become a six billion dollar industry. Go behind-the-scenes at Knott's Berry Farm's 35th annual Halloween Haunt. Learn how to apply Hollywood grade monster make-up, watch scary latex masks cranked out by the thousands and discover which costumes are past and present winners. See the most extreme jack-o-lanterns ever made, find out how hundreds of gallons of fake blood are manufactured and finally visit a haunted house with an annual attendance of over 50,000.

10-12am -- The Real Wolfman -
Follow veteran criminal profiler George Deuchar and renowned cryptozoologist, Ken Gerhardt as they investigate the legend of the notorious Wolfman. Between the years of 1764 and 1767, the small French hamlet of Gevaudan was plagued by a mysterious beast that attacked and killed 102 villagers. The victims (mostly women and children) were all maliciously mauled and decapitated. All bore the bite marks of a non-human creature, and even more bizarre, many victims were found undressed and sexually assaulted. For centuries, the true identify of this mysterious "wolfman" has remained a mystery. Digging deeply into the mythology of Werewolves, they uncover reported paranormal transformations, diseases that make men look and act like animals, strange but true stories of children raised by wolves, and the truth about wolfsbane and silver bullets. Their modern-day forensic investigation leads them to the horrific truth behind the Werewolf murders.

Sir William Marcus

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

8:00 PM-10:00 PM -- - The Real Robin Hood
The marauding mercenary of English folklore is one of history's best-known tales, and the legend of Robin Hood is the inspiration for more movies, radio and TV programs than any other folk hero. But the image of a hero in tights and a feathered cap is a somewhat recent addition to the myth. In reality, Robin Hood is a composite of several historical figures whose exploits date back to the age of the Crusades. In the film Robin Hood, starring Russell Crowe, director Ridley Scott's production is based on the most solid and recent historical research into the character and promises a startlingly fresh interpretation of Robin Hood for a new generation. This special will distinguish between historical evidence and Hollywood fiction, and seek to create a realistic portrait of the mythical hero. Includes clips from the film as well as interviews with director Scott, principal Robin Hood cast members and renowned historians.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

I love how they prep a movie going community with shows pertaining to new releases! ;)

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on May 09, 2010, 05:55:00 PM
Tuesday, May 11, 2010

8:00 PM-10:00 PM -- - The Real Robin Hood
The marauding mercenary of English folklore is one of history's best-known tales, and the legend of Robin Hood is the inspiration for more movies, radio and TV programs than any other folk hero. But the image of a hero in tights and a feathered cap is a somewhat recent addition to the myth. In reality, Robin Hood is a composite of several historical figures whose exploits date back to the age of the Crusades. In the film Robin Hood, starring Russell Crowe, director Ridley Scott's production is based on the most solid and recent historical research into the character and promises a startlingly fresh interpretation of Robin Hood for a new generation. This special will distinguish between historical evidence and Hollywood fiction, and seek to create a realistic portrait of the mythical hero. Includes clips from the film as well as interviews with director Scott, principal Robin Hood cast members and renowned historians.

Watched the "Real Robin Hood" tonight. Did notice there was a lot of Kingdom of Heaven material being used or worn.

I'm going to enjoy watching the show for the entertainment value, but as for historical accuracy, I will remember that Ridley Scott made this, and from the looks, sounds and hints of it through this show, I think he'll be trying to draw a parallel to today's society, and the taking from the rich and giving to the poor.

Seeing Jonathan Phillips as a commentator surprised me. Seeing as he's a well known apologist for the Crusades, it didn't surprise me when comments were made about how ruthless and blood thirsty the Europeans were. I noticed a lot of time was spent letting him explain the Crusades, in his own Eastern leaning fashion.

I enjoyed the parts about the weapons and tactics, and I appeared to detract from the effort of explaining who the real Robin was. This was probably due to Ridley Scott's input, dazzle them with fluff and redirect their focus.

I was shocked at the weak explanation of why Richard went on Crusade, and that he was called an Assassin of the Pope....a direct attack upon the Church...again (Remember the Patriarch of Jerusalem in KoH?)

There was more and it will come to me again in time, I should have taken notes.

Either way, I look forward to seeing it, because it beats reality TV and the majority of BS movies coming out now anyway. Can't wait for a release date for Ironclad as well.

Sir William Marcus

I'm with ya brother..

Saturday, May 15, 2010

8:00 PM-10:00 PM -- - The Real Robin Hood REPEAT

10:00 PM-12:00 AM -- - The Dark Ages
The Roman Empire, rotten to the core by the fifth century, lay open to barbarian warriors. Europe was beset by famine, plague, persecutions, and a state of war that was so persistent it was only rarely interrupted by peace. These centuries are remembered today as the Dark Ages. Beneath this cloak of darkness were people like Charlemagne, St. Benedict and the Empress Theodora who helped to bridge the gap of civilization between Rome and the Renaissance. Ultimately, these points of light would illuminate the darkness, and Western Europe would rise from the Dark Ages to a level of cultural and political power unseen for a thousand years.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I remembered to watch The Real Robin Hood on History last night. Enjoyed the commentary with interslices of the film. But then, I am a true History Buff, as History was my Minor in College.

I saw several connections to GLADIATOR and Kingdom of Heaven, but that is the genius that is Ridley Scott. A stickler for detail. I have  a number of his films in my DVD library.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on May 12, 2010, 04:45:03 AM
I saw several connections to GLADIATOR and Kingdom of Heaven, but that is the genius that is Ridley Scott. A stickler for detail.

I find him a stickler for visual details......the type that catches peoples' interest :o, like his extensive use of flags in KoH. As for the guy who puts his name on the making of a "more historically accurate" Robin Hood.....he said the same of KoH, and we saw how that turned out. Either way, I will give him credit for "epic" type movies, I as well have them in my collection. ;D

Serenity

10:00 PM-12:00 AM -- - The Dark Ages
The Roman Empire, rotten to the core by the fifth century, lay open to barbarian warriors. Europe was beset by famine, plague, persecutions, and a state of war that was so persistent it was only rarely interrupted by peace. These centuries are remembered today as the Dark Ages. Beneath this cloak of darkness were people like Charlemagne, St. Benedict and the Empress Theodora who helped to bridge the gap of civilization between Rome and the Renaissance. Ultimately, these points of light would illuminate the darkness, and Western Europe would rise from the Dark Ages to a level of cultural and political power unseen for a thousand years.
[/quote]

I have this special on my iPod.  Must recommend it to everyone.  It's awesome!!!
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798