News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What unsolved mystery / unexplained phenomenon captures your interest the most?

Started by Valiss, October 09, 2009, 11:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiss

I listened to a podcast a while ago about Numbers Stations and it was really interesting stuff. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station - But bascially there are radio stations that are on 24/7 around the world that read off "random" numbers, repeating them over and over. No one knows where many of they come from or what the numbers mean and some of them have been going for years. You can google around and hear audio clips that people have recorded of the Numbers Station being read. It actually reminds me of LOST season 1 when they heard the message and numbers on the hand radio. Anyway, a cool mystery I thought.

You can listen to some that have been posted to YouTube. Here's a sample:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lC4JRXsWkk&feature=youtube_gdata

So, what strange things facinate you?

renren

Ghosts!
Never acually seen one,and hearing so many people talk about it!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Welsh Wench

There are so many....In Search Of was such a great TV show.

I would have to say the lost colony of Roanoke.
Did they starve? Were they massacred by Indians? Did they assimilate into their society?

The only clue was the word "Croatoan" carved into a post of the fort and "Cro" carved into a nearby tree.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Marietta Graziella

I loved "In Search Of"!  Always a great story that make you get the chills. 
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Noble Dreg

Don't buy aliens coming all the way to earth only to bugger cows but I do find some "classic" mysteries fascinating...Amelia Earhart and flight 19 are two I'm curious about.  That, and why can't I find that bottle of Sandyman port I know I had before the move...
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

RumbaRue

Somewhere between the ancient drawings on the ground in Peru, the Bermuda Triangle and crop circles, have always been an interesting subjects.

Has anyone caught the show, 'Destination Truth' on the Travel Channel?
I do truly wish they would further their investigations instead of leaving you hanging wondering why they didn't.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

bellevivre

I'm very strange in that i cant watch 'horror' movies nbut i am utterly fascinated by the paranormal.

number one on my list, though, is the Winchester Mystery House- i have recurring dreams about it and it is said to be potent with spirits- i really want to go there, but I dont know if i am brave enough to go inside.

i firmly believe in ghosts- our 'spirit', that which makes us alive and animate, is the result of elecrical impulse- and science tells us energy cannot be created or destroyed- so logically, our 'lifeforce' has to go SOMEWHERE!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Lady Christina de Pond

Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Invy

Where do all those darn socks disappear too..

I am going to send a expedition of gnomes into my dryer to figure that one out.

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

I'm going with the Phoenix Lights in 1997.  When public officials, even the mayor, say something is rotten in Denmark, my curiosity is piqued.

(This space for rent)

Seamus Ex Machina

Quote from: Xanthenes The Unbalanced on October 12, 2009, 07:28:52 PM
I'm going with the Phoenix Lights in 1997.  When public officials, even the mayor, say something is rotten in Denmark, my curiosity is piqued.

If this is the same phenomenon I saw and remember on TV, this is an easy one.....it was skydivers with flares.    As I remember it, it was a string of 6 or 7 lights slowly descending over a city.  It was prolly a SpecOps drop that no one wanted to verify....(am I stirring the pot.....?)

I wanna know how to get rid of all the ghosts at my place, Rogue Manor...it's really bad when the guests start to complain.... ::)
Legendary Hellraiser

Rani Zemirah

Well, Stonehenge, of course... but also all of the other standing stone circles around the globe, and how they all seem to be placed along intersections of ley lines, and can have fairly straight lines drawn between them that follow these ley lines...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Xanthenes The Unbalanced

Quote from: Seamus Ex Machina on October 12, 2009, 10:20:10 PM
Quote from: Xanthenes The Unbalanced on October 12, 2009, 07:28:52 PM

If this is the same phenomenon I saw and remember on TV, this is an easy one.....it was skydivers with flares.    As I remember it, it was a string of 6 or 7 lights slowly descending over a city.  It was prolly a SpecOps drop that no one wanted to verify....(am I stirring the pot.....?)

Spoil sport!   :)
(This space for rent)