News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Madrigals

Started by Prof. John Bull, November 26, 2009, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. John Bull

At MNRF there are a couple of a capella groups (DeCantus and the Elizabethean Syngers) that actually do period stuff.  Do other fairs have this, or is it just a byproduct of the unusually high concentration of choral groups in Minnesota?

Lady Renee Buchanan

Several of the smaller faires in the Illinois/Iowa/Wisconsin area have madrigal singers at them.  Some times it is a madrigal choir from a college, because we have lots of colleges around here.  There were even madrigal singers at the Dubuque Renaissance Festival, a very tiny but very nice faire that is a 1 weekend faire in June.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Anna Iram

TRF has, or at least *had* a madrigal group playing the lanes when I was last there four years ago. I Madrigali I believe they were called.  I picked up their cd of renaissance drinking songs, and play it often as a fall/ seasonal kind of thing. Seems to go somehow.  :)

Katarsa

NCRF has a madrigal group, the Musicians Royale. We sing madrigals for the Queen by day and pubsongs for the hoypoloy at night. :)
-Katarsa-

robin35051

We (New York Renaissance Faire) have a 12 member in-house Madrigal group called the Queen's Royale Madrigals.  This past summer we did 3 sets a day. We went for many years without madrigals and personally I missed having them.  Since our members are also full time performance company members, including our Queen Elizabeth, scheduling becomes tricky. I am a madrigal groupie when I visit other faires and always try to attend atleast one performance of any local group.  One of my favorites is Larksong from MDRF.