News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Reboot on my character

Started by LadyStitch, March 15, 2010, 11:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

I got the name Lady stitch from a merchant at TRF the first year I went in 2001.  Since then I have been trying to build her character but never really got there.  I did however make a pirate by the name of Briar Rose who is Jean Flamingo's minder.  (I'm the one who trys to keep him out of trouble, doesn't work out that well though  ;D )

A week or so a go I was at a premier of "Alice in Wonderland" the grand prize drawing was for a licesened replica of the Hatter's hat.  As luck would have it I won  :D  I fell in love with it.  Saddly it wouldnt' live through a ren fair season, BUT as a professional costumer I could make one myself. 

This got me to thinking, why couldn't I turn Lady Stitch into something along that concept?  The casts of the local theater I work with already call me "The Madd costumer" why not just go from there?

I was thinking of starting with a trail coat from a thrift store, and just start doing things to it.  safetly pins on the lapel. decrative stitching on the cuffs, odd colors of patches.  A top hat that is as odd as the Mad Matter's. A Totmato pin cushion on the brim.  Decorative "needle" hat pins.  Odd assortment of buttons and pickets.

Is there anything more I could do?  Any suggestions ?

If asked why I went mad it could be one to many fittings?  or I saw what was under a scott's man's kilt?  I breathed in  too much dye vapors? 

It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Butch

Two different shoes, mismatched stockings, gaudy makeup, a tapemeasure worn like a scarf, rhinestone encrusted cateye reading glasses hung from a set of Mardi Gras beads, some tailors chalk hung from a string and attached to your clothing somewhere.

Are you wanting to be a MODERN mad costumer outfitting for ren fests, or are you wanting to be a mad Elizabethan-era tailor?  That should help narrow down your choices.

This sounds like so much fun!  You could even develop quirks you could use (much like Johnny Depp's Hatter, or the animated March Hare).  Good luck!

LadyStitch

Quote from: Butch on March 24, 2010, 09:14:06 AM
Two different shoes, mismatched stockings, gaudy makeup, a tapemeasure worn like a scarf, rhinestone encrusted cateye reading glasses hung from a set of Mardi Gras beads, some tailors chalk hung from a string and attached to your clothing somewhere.
Are you wanting to be a MODERN mad costumer outfitting for ren fests, or are you wanting to be a mad Elizabethan-era tailor?  That should help narrow down your choices.

I like the different shoes idea, but I want to make sure they are comfortable. I plann on the mis-matched stockings One pulled high, one sagging low. I have always wanted the cat eye glasses but I'm thinking of the little round  glasses.  think "Little sewing lady" glasses, bit done over the top. I might try the whole, theater make up done by a 2 year old thing, but we shall see.

Character story background:  Lady Stitch was a seamstress for an old theatrical company that did plays from all time periods.  She made many, many beautiful things but never anything for herself.  She was happy there until the theater was sold.  The new owners didn't treat her well. They moved her sunlit sewing room to the basement of the theater where she only had one small window and no heat. When winter came she started wearing old bits of costumes in the hopes of staying warm.  As she was never allowed to leave the costume shop the left over bits of the beautiful things she made were all she had to wear herself.  As time went by the chemicals she used to glue things onto hats, and dye the fabric started to go to her head.
Sadly the theater shut down, and she had no where to go.  She tried to stay in her little workshop, but the loneliness got to her.  There were no more pretty things.  Again she ventured out into the sunlight to again find pretty things.  Do not shun her if you see her looking at you funny. She is merely looking at your pretty dress, and if you are kind to her she might even fix your tears or your buttons for you. 

Here is what I have thought up so far on my garb plot:
Frock coat would have mismatched elbow patches.  There would be safety pins on a lapel.  I would have a citation cord of a tape measure.  I would have functional and random pockets in different colors and shapes.  In each pocket is some thing I could use.  I.e. embroidery thread or chalk. The coat would have random buttons.  And decorative stitching in different colors.  All of it done by me at some point.  I would love to be waiting for a show at fair and just whip out a needle and thread and just start sewing embroidery on my coat hem, for no reason.

I would have a bandolier/baldric made of thread spools.  And it would be functional.  Though how to make the thread stay on the spools, and still see the colors would be a challenge.

Lastly collage skirt would be made up of scarps of everything I have made ever.  The thing is that they will be sewn together not so that you don't see the cut edges but so that you see them. Then make a skirt out of the sewn together patchworks.  Make it so it has a lot of "stacked pleats in the back so that if I wanted I could add a bustle. I could pull it up if I want to wear tights under it, or let it down if it is cold.  Basically anything I wear it looks like I pulled it out of someone's old trunk.

Butch

OK, thanks, get the idea.

I would think you'd want to appear extremely eccentric, bordering on insane.  Ratted hair would be a must.  Makeup could be anything, but you'd want to be sure to hollow your eyes for the crazy look.

Develop a signature tic, and an imaginary companion you are always engaging in conversation, possibly the first owner that treated you well?  Additionally, you could quote lines from your favorite plays at odd times.

The shoes could be the same, but dye one a different color, or possibly cover it to make an elf's shoe, or a Judy Garland ruby slipper.

The spooled bandoleer, you are just going to thread a bunch of spools onto a twine.  Am I imagining it right?  If so, couldn't you just secure the thread into the cut in the spool?  It would stay that way, and be visibly and accessible.

Did you consider a wilted flower arrangement?  Story line could be you as an abandoned bride, or a farewell gift from the owner who treated you so well.

Love the skirt idea!  Exposed seam allowances.  Very nice!

LadyStitch

I don't think I would do the ratted hair thing, but I have been known to weird braids, especially on fair weekends.  (My natural hair is down to my tail bone.)  Since my Rogue is great at make up I'll work with him on maybe doing that.

I have a pet drabbit that I could wear with this.  His name is Grizzle.

As for the bandoleer I'm thinking of a piece of fabic that is stiffened with canvas or something, but on it are hinged places where I can slide a spool of thread onto it and then lock it into place with a hook.  Or using clear elastic slide them under bands.. That way if I do need thread I can pull it out.  Since I am a professional seamstress for a theater I sometimes would actually use it back stage during shows. Look up a picture of Johnny Depp's Hatter. He has one. Granted his looks like a bicycle chain but it is an idea.

I had not thought of the flower arrangement, but I like to keep my hands free at fair. Though I might have a yellow rose or a flower on my lapel of the coat.

Thank you for the compliment on the skirt.  I have done patch work items (hats, skirts, cloaks ect.) before but I always had to turn the seams in somehow. Besides if something frays I just put another patch over the top of it.  No harm done. :)