News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pirate coat plotting

Started by LadyStitch, May 13, 2010, 08:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

I'm looking for suggestions. There is a possibility that I may have an opening to do some sewing come August (depends on if a customer will finalize his design AND have his downpayment together ::))   My loving DH the Pink Pirate was thinking he would like me to make his fellow Flamingo brother a similar coat.  He doesn't want it identical but he wants it similar.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Ideas so far:
-- Same fabric
-- Different 1 inch wide trim
-- Same or very similar buttons
-- Same or nearly identical brocade for the vest, cuffs and appliques
-- MUST have the feather trim

Snags:
--  He is currently wearing a french beret with red and white feathers on it. (Personally, I don't care for it, and his girl friend picked it out for him.) He doesn't seem the pirate type more a swordsman.  To be honest he is more the "Jay" to my DH's "silent Bob" or "Athos" to my DH's "Porthos."
-- He doesn't mind some off the wall things but doesn't go as all out as my DH. 

Like said I'm looking for ideas.

It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Kate XXXXXX

Use a different fabric or it'll look like the 'I didn't have quite enough stuff' clone...  Different fabric, different trim, different buttons, but same feather stuff in a similar but not identical placement and it'll look great.

Hm...  If he's more a musketeer than a pirate, do one of these in pink for him:

LadyStitch

I've been thinking along those lines too.  I might do more of a doublet than a coat, but it is a good thought.  The only thing is their other out fit is shown below. Would a full muskateer be too close?  Or just build on what we already have? 

DonaCatalina

Felipe IV wearing cross between a musketeer tabard and a doublet.
and its Pink!
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LadyStitch

Hmm.... I'll run it past the Pink Pirate and see what he says.  I'm leaning toward a nice doublelet.  Now to find a good doublet pattern.