News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

This isn't your grandfather's "Robin Hood"!

Started by Toki Bloodaxe, May 15, 2010, 12:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toki Bloodaxe

This isn't your grandfather's "Robin Hood"!

There are no arrow shooting contests in this movie. There are no men in green tights flouncing around a styrofoam castle. There are no endless sword fights up and down stairs and gaudy Technicolor costumes straight out of central casting. As much as I like those old Hollywood films of yesteryear, I like Ridley Scott's foray into Medieval English History much better. And a lot of History this way comes in this version of the Men of Sherwood story.
    For starters, the basic story line has been moved forward past the typical Robin Hood time period of a kidnapped King Richard's return from the Third Crusade, and a maniacal Prince John running rampant all over northern England. Move forward roughly two years. Richard The Lionheart has returned to England, straightened out the mess that Prince John had wrought and then returned to the continent to chastise some recalcitrant French lords who seek independence from his rule. There, in an odd twist of fate, the King who made it to Palestine and back, is killed by a lucky shot from a cross bow, from the walls of a besieged castle. Among his men at the battle is an archer named Robert Longstride, who has been with Richard during the Crusades and still fights in his employ. With King Richard dead, Robert "Robin" Longstride return to England to find the place in turmoil. It seems there is a plot by the dastardly French to ferment revolt amongst the various lords of England against the newly crowned King John. During this time of civil war, then, the French will invade and take the kingdom for themselves. Only Robin of the Hood and his merry men can save the kingdom.
     It seems odd that such a simplistic plotline would even work for a film. But, if you compress time and space like Ridley Scott is such an expert at doing, it will work and present a rather satisfying and entertaining movie. Historically, some things are mixed up, however. The French invasion actually took place some years later during the First Baron's War when the French king tried to take the crown from King John over a dispute concerning who really was King of England- John, or John's nephew Arthur. King Richard did die by a lucky shot from a cross bow. But, it took him much longer to die. John did not burn a copy of the Magna Charta. His greatest objection to the document was article 61, which proclaimed that the King could be legally usurped by a council of fifteen nobles. He initially affixed his royal seal to the document. And, later, backed out of it, sparking the First Baron's War. I guess that he felt that the Divine Right of Kings took precedence over a pack of bloodthirsty nobles, each of them wanting the crown for themselves. Lastly, when John couldn't find enough troops to fight for him during the Baron's War, he hired a group of Flemish mercenaries to come to England and fight for him. For this move, and for the horrible behavior of the mercenaries toward the English people, John is still reviled today.
     Having presented the above material, let me just say that I enjoyed this film immensely. I can look past the historical deviations and find the superb entertainment value of the movie-of which there is a great deal. Russell Crowe plays a good Robin Longstride. He is aged appropriately for his character and carries a rugged masculinity on his honorable shoulders. His physical presence is such that I believe in the authenticity of his character. The always beautiful Cate Blanchette, as Marion Locksley, possesses enough strength of character and feminine emotional vulnerability to be both strong and empathic in her actions toward Robin and his Merry Men, and the locals of Nottingham. Rounding out the cast is uber-villain Marc Strong as a brutal noble in the pay the French king who seeks to destabilize John's government by stirring up unrest amongst the English Nobles and commoners alike. Other notables in the cast are William Hurt as William Marshal, the greatest knight that has ever lived, Max von Sydow as a aging Lord Locksley (who gets some good licks in against Marc Strong's character before being stabbed in the back) and Eileen Atkins as Eleanor of Aquitaine-the REAL Queen of England (not that French tart). Cuban actor Oscar Isaac hams it up gloriously as King John (sometimes called "softsword" for his lack of fighting ability). If there is a real strength of this film, it is the performances by the supporting characters- Robin's Merry Men, the common villagers of Nottingham, Mark Addy as Friar Tick, the feral Lost Boys living in Sherwood forest and all of the mounted knights, men-at-arms and archers who make a movie like this so entertaining and believable. But, that is a Ridley Scott film for you. It is the grit of the mortar of the costumes, characters and sets that hold the bricks of the storyline together to create such an amazing and entertaining slice of medieval life for us to enjoy.

As a side note, let me say that I loved reading several books about this time period that contributed to my enjoyment of this film. One is called "Richard and John, Kings at War" by Frank McLynn. It is an excellent read. Another is called "Eleanor of Aquitaine" by Alison Weir. It is a thoroughly enjoyable and informative book. Lastly, check out "The Greatest Knight" by Elizabeth Chadwick. It is a historical novel about William Marshal, the greatest knight that ever lived and Chancellor of England during all of this tumultuous time period. All are great books and enjoyable reads.

DonaCatalina

I liked one reviewer's comment:
"It was Ridley Scott going medieval on Saving Private Ryan"
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Having seen Russell Crowe several times in ther flesh on stage in Chicago at The House of Blues with his band in 2001 and 2003, he lights up the stage with song as he does on screen with his genius way of enveloping a character that you see the character, not Russell.

A dear friend of mine in LA sent me photos of Russell when he received his Star on the walk of fame last month. He looks wonderful, happy, grounded with his wife and sons. I have photos of Russell from various events where my friend was present. They are friends.

'ROBIN HOOD' is an AWESOME film!! And to think I wanted so much to be a sewer of the costumes on that film and was rejected by Ridley Scott's Costume Designer. I will be sending an updated resume and picture disc to Ridley Scott's production company for consideration for other films of a historic nature.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde