News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Attending on July 3rd - need after faire entertainment info

Started by robert of armstrong, June 24, 2010, 03:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert of armstrong

Greetings again from North of the Border!!  Yet again will I be bringing a small invasion force to Sterling from the North.  Unfortunately, Lady Heather and Little Abigail will not be joining the invasion as Heather is 7 months pregnant with our second, a boy this time.  Although the doctor says she should not travel, she will not let me miss Sterling, although it is likely to be my only visit to any Faire this year.

I digress, however, and ask for some local advice.  We are staying in Oswego at the Econolodge, and the group are avid UFC fans and there is a pay per view event scheduled for that night.  Is there a bar or tavern nearby that anyone could recommend for to observe said event?  Mayhap one with big screen televisions and half decent pub faire?
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Lady Amy of York

I have never personally been  to this place  yet, but I know  there is a place  called " Cheap Seats  Sports  Bar "  on Hillside  Avenue, in Oswego  , New York.     Just  a few minutes   from the Econolodge.   And if my memory serves me  correctly I  think there is    a  bar  right near or  across  from the Econolodge.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Merlin the Elder

If the folks at the EconoLodge are worth their salt, they should be able to provide you with information about the nearby businesses. It would certainly be worth a call.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

robert of armstrong

It turns out that the rules governing pay per view sports are different in New York than in Ontario - your bars have to pay the fee for each person of their maximum capacity, even if the bar only has half that number in it.  That translates to the bar having to fork over (we were told ) $20 per person.  If your bar holds 100 people, the cost is $2 000, up front, no matter how many people show up.  Not a single bar in all of Oswego was willing to pay the steep prices without a lock-in that they will make the money back.  We called them all, and then visited many to make sure that they weren't giving the 'right' answer over the phone then putting on the fights anyway.

To make it worse, we couldn't order it to our rooms either, the Econo Lodge can't do that, for whatever reason.  Now I have to find someone up here that recorded it on their PVR.  A word to the wise - when travelling, and you want to watch something like a UFC pay per view, make sure that you have somewhere ahead of time to watch or that your hotel will import it for you.  We should have called the bars ahead of time, and when discovering they wouldn't carry it, we should have made sure our hotel would get it for us, or changed to a hotel that would.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

IndeanaSunday

Sorry to hear about that, Robert! I hope you find a recorded copy somewhere. Thanks for the tips too.

MMario

Quote from: robert of armstrong on July 05, 2010, 08:11:39 AM
we should have made sure our hotel would get it for us, or changed to a hotel that would.

And probably would not have found one within driving distance of the faire - again; due to NYS rules and regulations.