News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Going to Faire alone

Started by Mademoiselle D, July 02, 2010, 08:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mademoiselle D

Okay so I think I'm going to really put myself out of my comfort zone this year and bring myself out to faire alone a few days.  I am so excited for faire but most of my friends have moved away or are too busy. 

So I've seen posted on here by Lady Renee that there are aways meet and greets which I'll certainly attend, but does anyone have advice for meeting people when you enter the grounds alone?  What things do you typically do throughout the day?

Most likely I'll play it by ear when I go.  Now all I have to figure out is how to lace my corset by myself...  ???

wildthingjew

listen, my daughter and i are there before gates open on the days that we go, and i am kinda shy, if you get there early ya can hang out with all the regulars they are all friendly, just get out of your  car and say hi to your neighbor, i know that there are lots of men that are there at alway willing to help the ladies get laced up. you are more than welcome to look for us, i am kinda chunky, have reddish blonde hair have an 11 year old daughter with brown hair shoulder length and she wears glasses, drive a blue toyota corolla and we are always there way early, my name is jamie and hers is miss katie scarlett, just give us a yell, we spend most of our times watching the musical shows you are more than welcome to hang out with us, also by the way once inside i can take you and introduce you to my co wenches those girls are sweethearts!
jamie, mother of miss katie scarlett

Lady Renee Buchanan

Also, spend the $5 for a Friend of Faire membership.  That's for both days of the weekend, even if you just attend one day.  It will probably be the best money you spend at Bristol.  We joined last year for the first time, and the people are so friendly.  When you sit in the garden, somebody always starts talking to you.

We enjoy the music the most, and so do a lot of other people, so you usually see a lot of the same people at the same shows.  And everyone is easy to talk to, especially if you start the conversation with something about the music.  And there's always that question, "Is this your home faire?"  If they say "yes," well, the next question is to ask for suggestions on what to see or where to eat or shop.  They may even end up accompanying you.  And if they say no, then the conversation can veer to where are they from, and have they been to Bristol before, and how does it compare, etc.

Most people are happy to talk to someone else who shares a love of faire.  You may have to go outside of your comfort level if you don't usually like starting a conversation with a stranger, but you'll find that once you start talking, it will be very easy to talk with folks there.

When do you plan on going?  I'd love to meet you.  We hang around with wildthingjew and Miss Katie Scarlet, also some other friends, so let me know.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Lil

Mademoiselle, to hear you say that you are going to faire by yourself is so encouraging to me, I have high levels of anxiety, and I always find myself really wanting to go somewhere, like faire by myself and I chicken out. If others can do it, then so can I. Thank you. Oh Lady Renee, a guy at work today had last months Ren Mag on his desk when and when I walked by I told him my friends picture is in there, and he just stood there with his jaw open. I hope it was ok to tell him that. I consider everyone on the forum to be my friend, everyone has been so kind to me. BTW, he and I play who's the biggest Rennie at work, he usually wins, but not today!!!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

A few of the faires we attend have a gathering before faire in the parking lots, I woould presume Bristol to be no different?

As we approach our weekend progress there, I hope to meet before faire's opening canon :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Renee Buchanan

Lady Lil, that's fine about the picture.  We're "showing off" our garb that Lady Kathleen of Olmsted made for us!  And this forum is our "faire-mly," so we're all friends, just some we haven't met yet.  Send in your picture to the magazine.  You will definitely win, then!

Sadly, Bristol does not have a coherent group of RF members who tailgate in the parking lot, meet at the pubs, go to shows together, etc.
That's why I definitely suggest the Friends of Faire garden.  It has the same ambiance, but it's just not RF members.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Dayna

Thanks for the plug Renee!!  You and your DH were my first converts and among our best publicity.  I've been telling everyone I know about your photo!

Lady Lil and Mademoiselle D, do stop by the FoF garden as soon as you get to Bristol.  We can introduce you to people, suggest shows, point you to vendors of interest, etc. etc.
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Mademoiselle D

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I am really looking forward to meeting everyone at Bristol.  Sound like I will have to stop by the FOF garden and hopefully will see a few of you before opening gate too.

Goody

See, you weren't actually "ALONE" after all! It was nice to meet ya! Give a hollar if u make a visit back to MN!