News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Bumrolls?

Started by insidiousraven, July 07, 2010, 09:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insidiousraven

I'm thinking of making a bumroll for my lower middleclass garb, and was curious if anyone else wears one?

I thought of maybe wearing a crinoline or a hoop skirt, but that seemed too fancy for my outfit.  I'm wearing a chemise and bodice, bloomers, boots, a green underskirt and a burgandy over skirt hiked up to my belt.

If you wear a bumroll, how is your opinion of it doing its job?  Does it just make it look like you have a gigantic bottom, or does it nicely make your skirts flow away from your legs?

Any input is appreciated!

isabelladangelo

I have a stuffed bumroll that I use sometimes.  Because it goes around (covers your sides as well as your back) it doesn't make you look big as much as you look like you have a small wheel farthingale beneath your skirts.  It doesn't seem to do anything more than give you the look (skirts don't really "stay away" like with a full farthingale) but mine makes for an excellent pin cushion when I'm trying to do something.   ;) 

Tygrkat

I love mine, and made it myself using an over-the-knee length sock stuffed with old nylons & fabric scraps, and then sewed ribbons to both ends...it was super easy!

I feel like my look is more finished with it, and it does give a more pleasing silhouette, IMO

QuoteDoes it just make it look like you have a gigantic bottom?

Um...I think nature did that for me  :D the bumroll just makes the skirts lay nicely  ;) 
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

stonebiscuit

A bumroll sits a little higher than the bum, per se, and while it should be sturdy enough to support your skirts, it doesn't necessarily hold them away from your body without the hoop or farthingale. It will make your waist look very trim, however, and does give a more finished look.

gem

If you scroll down to Tigerlily's post in this thread, you'll see her middle class gown, worn with her bumroll, which gives you a great example of how it should look. There are also a couple of really nice closeups, like this one and this one.