News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Southern Style Convoy

Started by LadyJessica, August 19, 2010, 08:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyJessica

Since the RenDezvous was announced, I have been figuring out how much it will take for me to get there. (Come hell or high water I will be there this time! =D)

Most of the Houston group is looking into renting two (or more as needed) 12-passenger vans and we would all ride up together.

Here is what I am proposing:
(Feel free to add your ideas, change it up, or shoot it down.)

The Louisiana / Houston groups would meet in one central area in Houston and the San Antonio / Austin groups would meet up somewhere in Austin.  Most likely, someone's house where there is a bit more parking.

The LA/Hou group would head up to Ft. Worth to pick up the DFW groups.

From there we would ALL meet up in Amarillo.  Upon leaving Amarillo, we would convoy it up to Colorado Springs to the hotel (there are no hotels in Larkspur).

Houston Groups:

The price for the van, including gas and insurance, is $109 per person round trip.  The price for the van is dependant upon 10 people per van, and would go up slightly if there is less than that.  (Price for 9/van = $121, 8/van = $136)

We would be leaving Houston at 9 pm on Wednesday night.  This would allow most everyone to finish work and eat before we take off.  We would be getting to the DFW area by about 3 am.  Yes, I know that is early but I figure that most everyone will be too excited to sleep and those that are tired can sleep in the van (bring earplugs).  We would leave DFW by 3:30 am and should arrive in Amarillo by 9:30 am where we would meet up with the SA/Austin crew (if they decide to do this).  We would have to stop for gas in Pueblo, CO at about 3:30 pm (CST) and then the final push to Colorado Springs, arriving at about 4 pm (CST).

The total cost per person if you reserve a room by yourself
$110 For the van
$280 4 nights at the Super 8
$34  tickets into CORF
$424  total

The total cost per couple for the trip would be
$220 For the van
$68  tickets into CORF
$284 per person ($568  total )

The total cost per person if you have four people in a room
$440 For the van
$136 tickets into CORF
($856 total) $214 per person

The price may vary as a figure out how to make it a bit more even for those not traveling as far, but that's what I got for now.

As of this posting I probably have about 2 vans from Houston full already.  Please let me know if you're interested.  And I will look into renting a big house or cabin as was posted else where.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Lady Kett

Just having made the trip recently, I would offer this as a suggestion:

The route of due north on 35 up through Oklahoma and into Kansas, then hanging a left on 70-West will provide more opportunities for stopping for hotels if necessary, fuel & food on the trip up, or Heaven forbid if any emergency vehicle repairs are needed. The Amarillo route is very desolate (pretty, but desolate). If, in the middle of the night you need to stop for anything, you have a decent chance of finding something. It's only 1 hour more of driving; 70 miles or so and an estimated 2-3 gallons of gas.

Plus we could pick up Rani and any other Oklahomans on the way! Albeit missing anyone on the Amarillo route (if there are any, not sure...)

When we drove from DFW to CO, we went 35 to 70 on the way up, and came back through Amarillo for the return trip, so we have good and recent drive times and experiences on both routes.

Either route, count on picking us up in DFW for the Caravan!

eloquentXI

Timewise, I would recommend going up through Amarillo and either heading north through the OK panhandle or heading over Raton pass through the corner of NM. I've made the drive from Texas to Colorado and vice versa more times than I can count and heading up to Kansas may be only an hour more but it will make the trip feel like its taking FOREVER. There is nothing from the stateline to Hayes and even then, its still pretty awful.

I still have to wait and see what is going on with me but for now, count me out.
I'm going to be flying in a week before or staying a week after to see family and the such/or will end up driving myself.

Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Rani Zemirah

When I head up there I take the state highways up through the OK panhandle to Boise City, then north on 287 up to 50 and west to Pueblo.  There are plenty of small towns on the way if you need anything, and it's possible for me to get there driving straight through.  If the convoy decided to go up from Amarillo then we'll be fine, and if it decides to follow the route I mentioned then we can fall in behind!  I'd have to take my own van, though, because we've got a lot of gear that comes with us...  Sounds like quite an undertaking, though! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Ryk Rakham

We are now in Ardmore, OK and are truly planning on making the trip. We'll take our own vehicle too, but would be delighted to fall in the convoy. We'll keep an eye on everyone's plans and try to join in.

We had to miss Scarby's last season due to not one but two deaths in our family that week, we were heartbroken in more ways than on. We are bound to try to make this year's RenDezvous!
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

LadyStitch

Is this still in the works for Rendevous?  We are plotting and need to know.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Merlin

I hate long drives...I promise to look out the window of the 757 and wave though.
Round trip airfare was only about $200 more than driving.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Merlin the Elder

I don't think we can do the convoy, as our distance away would require a stop for the night.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...