News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Weekend Thoughts

Started by William_MacKean, August 23, 2010, 09:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

William_MacKean

First the 'negatives.'

1.  It was miserable hot.  My workers were having heat-related difficulties.  As a result, sales were about 10-15% lower than weekend 1 last year.

2.  Why is Highland Fling on the first weekend?  Wht not have it a weekend or two later to increase the chances od moderate weather.  You know, like Scotland?  Those people were dying in the heat and sun.  The games were poorly attended as a result.  Maybe put... Silk Road on first weekend?  You know, from the area that is all hot all the time with no heavily physical games?

3.  I think they should return to giving the host of the Smoker and Queen's Tea a cut of the sales.  Sunday had 3 tables...  What a waste.  They used to sell out daily when the host got a cut.

Now the 'positives.'
1.  It was great to be amongst friends and family again.  I am horrible at finding time to see them, with life, wife, remodeling, work and school in the way.  Scheduling it out like this makes it 'mandatory.'

2.  It is nice to have nightly 'vacation' time with my 'wife' away from the troubles of the real world.  We need this break badly.

3.  I am having a blast owning and running a business.  I plan to open one as my full time venture next year.  Don't know what, tho...   ;)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I see that the second weekend will be hot and humid again as well. That means WENCH GARB rather than Noble.

One must dress according to the weather.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Prince Thomas

Negative-

1- the heat was getting to the cast. I saw alot of people walking around that were part of the Ren Fest cast that look miserable... and didn't want to play with others.

2- Some things were not open in some of the food venues. Some booths had long lines, and only 1 person helping people when there was definetly room for more. Could have just been bad timing on my part, or was attendance up from first weekend last year?

3- Ren Fest regulars who have been to shows several times need to sit down and shush! I have seen the shows a couple times... I know the scripts are easy... and you can often firgure out what they are going to say next, but I don't want to hear it from the person sitting behind me and ruin the joke for everyone around. And please don't walk up to the stage and interupt the show to get a kiss from the performers (Tortuga Twins R rated show TWICE). That just grinds my gears!

POSITIVE!! YEA!!

1- So many well dressed people! It's finally catching on that a good costume equals you having a better time! I noticed more people in dress this year than last year! Love it!

2- Despite the interuptions, the shows were AWESOME!! A little rusty at times, but that made it even funnier! Tortuga Twins R show was a drunken success (minus kissy boy) which kept me laughing the whole show (except capt. luver boy).

3- The whole Ren Fest expirience. I've been waiting all year for the Ren Fest to start again, and I left saying to my wife, That was an awesome day! Thank you to everyone who was there, and to everyone who made the wait worth it's while!

~Prince Thomas
Feared Pirate-Capt. Oliver "Clothesoff" McGillicuddy
Romantic Musketeer-Pascal Lemaire
Handsome Royalty-Prince Thomas

Gauwyn of Bracknell

This was our first time at open and enjoyed it thoroughly.  We were dressed in noble garb and made it through OK with the heat (although we are tempted to "dress down" next time with the heat).

Met and enjoyed a short chat with the king and wanted to comment he was one of the nicest people.

Only were able to attend 1 day, but will be back in two weeks for all 3.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

saphire_glade

Negatives:

1) It was hot and people were cranky... not me but some of the kids oh man... cranky.

2) they went for gravel instead of wood chips this year as filler... you all might jump for joy as it reduces the chance of mud, but my knees look like they went through a meat grinder!

Positives:

1) Cranky kids always love bubbles as do adults... especially grown men that do interesting ballet leaps after them *giggles all over again*

2) I was super busy the whole time... *didn't get dinner either night because I was swamped with kids*

3) IT WAS FIRST WEEKEND AND I DIDN'T INJURE MYSELF (save for a lost voice and my meat grinder knees... last time I play in that area)
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

auntiegiggles

Quotethey went for gravel instead of wood chips this year as filler

Saphire - I think the gravel was free.  LOL!  ;D

Everything goes better with giggles

saphire_glade

Quote from: auntiegiggles on August 23, 2010, 03:07:14 PM
[

Saphire - I think the gravel was free.  LOL!  ;D

LOL that is probably true... at least it was in limited supply and they didn't put it at front gate!
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

groomporter

And the gravel doesn't float down hill on the rainy days...

Sales were "meh" on Saturday, lousy on Sunday. Was probably a good weekend to have a new shop slave out sick...

Didn't get out of our neighborhood. Anyone impressed by any new crafter's wares? There's two new jewelers between us and the Fest Friends, and weapons seller I don't recall seems to have bought the "Anam Cara" booth near Bad Manor.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Toarmod

Quote from: groomporter on August 23, 2010, 04:36:46 PM
And the gravel doesn't float down hill on the rainy days...

Sales were "meh" on Saturday, lousy on Sunday. Was probably a good weekend to have a new shop slave out sick...

Didn't get out of our neighborhood. Anyone impressed by any new crafter's wares? There's two new jewelers between us and the Fest Friends, and weapons seller I don't recall seems to have bought the "Anam Cara" booth near Bad Manor.

FYI I cant remember the name of the jeweler, but the one right next to Fest Friends is not new they just moved.

TheFerret

We had very few soap eaters. The only one Saturday was someone who works out there who didn't want to see a blank board. I got one comment that sometimes it's just so hot that you aren't in the mood to eat soap. It's either that or people have started to listen.

Saturday was an awesome day for us but Sunday was amazingly painful. It was a rain day crowd without the rain. Wandering around, I was surprised to see how empty it was on the grounds.

I managed to catch one of the new staged fights which I thought was brilliant. I was saddened to learn that it wasn't published anywhere where or when the fights were happening.

It seemed to be a normal first weekend. Lots of "oh wait, what?" moments. I came in later on Sunday (around 11am) and was told the pit was full and that I'd have to park up front. Very weird.

And I can't believe how many insect bites I got! Grrr. Here's to hoping that the 2nd weekend is better.
Ferret
Wench #1486
Bard #245
Sweet Shouter for Seventh Sojourn Soaps
I've got ADOS: Attention Deficit OOOH Shiny!

Random Girl

Positives:

Full moon made for walking site at night pleasant and kept me from tripping over trashcans
Everyone dealt with the no pass issue really well (well with the exception of a few people here and there)
I managed to get decent sleep
No huge issues overnight, people were too tired for shenanigans.

Negatives:
Sunday night outgoing traffic is full of suck.  In order to get everyone out at a decent time I directed traffic.  I have NO OBLIGATION TO DO THIS.  NONE.  I could totally ignore all of you and watch as you crash but I didn't.  I directed traffic.  STOP MEANS STOP, not creep up on me until I can put a foot on your bumper to MAKE you stop.  If I am making the hand wavey signal and screaming GO DARNIT GO!! Don't stare at me blindly.  PAY ATTENTION! I managed to get the long line out in about 30 minutes which is incredible but I can't do that if I get run over. 

The heat...it was oppressive.  I spent much of my time with swamp @$$.  Blech.  I hate that.

~~Nessa~~
Safety Services Maven of Midnight
Crew member of the S.S. Hookers and Blow
Odissimur Iocos - We hate fun

Storm

Hot, Hot, Hot!...and I don't like it Hot, Hot, Hot!....

Even though Gin and I have some decent warm weather garb, it still isn't much fun out there when the high temperatures and the humidity kick in. We started feeling the effect of it around 2:00 pm and were out of there by 3:00 pm. On warm days out there I doubt we will stick around much later then 3:00 pm. It just really is no fun anymore then.

Fest Friends is a true life savor in that Kinda weather! A little shade and lots of water, lemonade and iced tea! We would have been out of there sooner if not for being able to drop by there and fill up our mugs with water a couple of times!....

groomporter

Want to win the lotto so we can build the dream booth with electricity and hidden fans to move the air. Too bad it's generally too humid in Minnesota for "swamp coolers" to work well https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

Since we have a partial canvas roof I've always been tempted to try spraying some water on top of it. My theory would be that it's high enough that the evaporation shouldn't raise the humidity down in the shop, but for the same reason, I have doubts it would lower the temp on the main floor enough to be worth the trouble.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Kiss-me-Kate

Despite the heat, and a blister the size of Texas on the bottom of my foot  ???

I had a BLAST this weekend.  Can't wait for next weekend!   ;D
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

TheFerret

Quote from: Random Girl on August 23, 2010, 06:10:11 PM

If I am making the hand wavey signal and screaming GO DARNIT GO!! Don't stare at me blindly. 

I was one of those idiots who didn't get that you were directing me to go. I apologize for that. I was fired but THANK YOU SO MUCH for directing traffic!! That was awesome! And I was so not expecting it either. :D
Ferret
Wench #1486
Bard #245
Sweet Shouter for Seventh Sojourn Soaps
I've got ADOS: Attention Deficit OOOH Shiny!