News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Would you update an events list?

Started by Liraaf, September 02, 2010, 09:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you update a web site with event activities?

yes as a patron
0 (0%)
yes as a group member
0 (0%)
yes as a festival worker
0 (0%)
nope no way nah huh no how
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Liraaf

I am contemplating writing a mobile web site application.  It would provide the listing of performers on a smartphone (iPhone, Droid) giving the stage, time, group, and type of performance. 

For example, at 11:12am I hit the web site and it returns

Michigan Renaissance Festival 2010

-- More Previous To 10:00am --

11:00
  Tree Top (Stage)
    Circa Paleo (Music)
11:15
  Steel Cavern (Vendor 122)
    Sword Making (Demo)
11:30
  Pirate (Stage)
    Tartanic (Music)

-- More Up To 1:00 pm --

Now the question is how to get this data into it?  I am thinking two options: the festival themselves (work!  we got enough to do!), or the patrons (graffiti time baby!), or the performers/vendors themselves (how do I know this is them?) updating the site the best they can.

Opins?

LAVAGODDESSSS

I'm a web designer and developer. Let me know if you want any help at all...

The website now, for instance, is not a great place for quick info. Some of the links don't work and they've been 'working' on it for weeks. I'm not knocking them, but it is a tad ridiculous. I'm in the biz myself so I get how sometimes it is out of your hands, I do...just I go to a website to be my resource, and I end up having to call them and they are already overburdened. A good website and/or application means LESS phone calls, less man hours answering questions. I apologize if this offends anyone, but...I cringe when I go there. :(

This app would be nice, you could always have log in names or one log in name for all performers each year. There is always a risk for hacking or someone who isn't supposed to updating, BUT....that is the hazard anywhere. I wouldn't set it to "one" type of person to do the updates, because everyone will be different. I doubt you would want someone at the fest to actually do it, having the performers themselves would probably be best. They could always have a trusted fan to help them out.

How do you mean when you say "how to get this data into it?"  If they simply had a .mobi address that is meant to be viewed on a screen for the iPhone or the like, it'd be almost better than an app.

Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

Liraaf

I've made the mobile web site area available for design.  Right now it is the basics to get something going.  Remember this is for mobile phones with limited ability and screen real estate.

http://rf.amduus.com/download/mobile.zip

Later tonight I will be putting in the show data I have available to me.

The mobile web site is available at http://rf.amduus.com/mobile/.  Data will appear based on the day it is queried.

Liraaf

Well, I think I got the shows in there unless they change things around.  If so, blame them!  :)

Liraaf