News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What book are you currently reading?

Started by Valiss, September 13, 2010, 01:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RefMom3

I am much too suggestible to read Stephen King, or anyone in that genre. I'm a wimp and a sissy, and admit it. I do want to read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, though, due to the baseball theme.
Now, I'm looking forward to As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of the Princess Bride by Cary Elwes. It is due to be released on my birthday.
Happy Birthday to me! ;)

Merlin the Elder

I need to reread that one. I don't remember much about it.  Don't feel bad. Nimue will only read Stephen King in the daylight. Many years ago, she was reading The Shining — late at night. She was in a particularly tense part of the story when the reading lamp popped its bulb.  She squealed and threw the book across the room. That was the last time she read his stories at night.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Tink

LOL  I'm sure I would do the same thing (as well as jumping/falling out of the chair from fright!)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Trillium

Lol, yeah  i won't read him either. The only book if his i ever enjoyed was "eyes of the dragon ".  I have been working on R.A. Salvatore's dark elf books. Read them all many years ago. Drizzt is awesome!!
Got faerie dust?

SarviaRose

Quote from: Rowen MacD on July 24, 2014, 11:13:54 AM
Quote from: Merlin the Elder on July 23, 2014, 12:28:32 PM
How about a nice romantic horror story?
I try to avoid the Kardashian Bio's thank you!

This made my day  ;D

I am currently reading Hounded by Kevin Hearne. About an Druid who lives in Tempe AZ so far I am enjoying it
Morale Ofc of the Bayou Scoundrel, ETTE, IFRP

Butch

I've read about all of King.  Checked out his latest one, but didn't read it.  I read that one on the JFK assassination twice.  There was a time (late '80s) when I was reading all of his previous stuff, nd he got predictable.  I had to stay away for a few years to "reboot" that portion of my head.

RefMom3

Butch, I experienced that with Robert Ludlum's books. I must have read 6 or 7 in a row, one immediately following the other, and I had to stop. All of those conspiracies, and secret societies and such were just too much for me to absorb within a 3 month period. Haven't picked one up for years.

Irma

I just finished Legacy: The Acclaimed Novel of Elizabeth, England's Most Passionate Queen -- and the Three Men Who Loved Her by Susan Kay, and have moved on to The Queen's Bed: An Intimate History of Elizabeth's Court by Anna Whitelock.

RefMom3

I've been reading the Cary Elwes book and find it just makes me want to watch the movie again- for the umpteenth time. I also have a collection of the nonfiction essays by Terry Pratchett, called A Slip of the Keyboard. I'm also reading one recommended by Rani , called Silverlock, by John Meyers Meyers. It's wonderfully inventive, but I read it when I'm under the hair dryer, and I keep falling asleep ;)

Merlin the Elder

I'm currently back on my crime novels... Jefferson Bass' Bones of Betrayal, from the Body Farm series.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Irma on July 30, 2014, 11:10:18 AM
I just finished Legacy: The Acclaimed Novel of Elizabeth, England's Most Passionate Queen -- and the Three Men Who Loved Her by Susan Kay, and have moved on to The Queen's Bed: An Intimate History of Elizabeth's Court by Anna Whitelock.
Legacy has to be one of the best fictional accounts of Elizabeth's court I have ever read.  The ending had me bawling like a baby.
  Susan Kay only wrote one other novel ; Phantom-about the life of the Phantom of the Opera.  That was even more amazing!
Fantastic writer- but sadly, not a prolific one.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Butch

Reading Stepen King's Revival. I'll probably finish it tonight.  It reminds me a bit of his story The Cove (or whatever it was called).

Merlin the Elder

Since it's Stephen King, I WILL read it, as I am a huge fan. Let me know how many thumbs you can give it when you finish.

Butch

Well, finished it up last night.  It didn't get supernatural until the very end; and just kinda hinted at it before.  I guess in the same way that it did in The Stand:  believable scenario throughout most of the story, with very small wisps of supernatural occurrences sprinkled here and there (until the climax near the end).  Typical King first-person dialogue.  A lot takes place in Maine.  Has the unexpected tragedies thrown in throughout (as he so often does).

If you like his recent stuff (or The Stand, or It), you'll enjoy this.

Cheers!

Rowan MacD

Just started (out of sequence)  Black Powder War-#3 in the Temeraire novels.
   This one, for some reason was just about impossible to find; and since I have finally reached the second to last book in the series-I needed to read this one to fill in some crucial gaps.

I have been devouring these books since picking up 'His Majesty's dragon'.  I think it's better written than the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey; and so rich in detail it's easy to get lost in this alternate history of the Napoleonic wars....with dragons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temeraire_%28series%29
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt