News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Old Movie

Started by BLAKDUKE, October 19, 2010, 10:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLAKDUKE

Just watched a good part of an old 1930's movie with Robert Montgomery, Rossilind Russell, and Reginald Owen.  The movie itself was engaging enough but the semi-ending sequesnce was a rapier duel between  Montgomery and Owen that was quite excellent.   If I can ever get a copy I would add it to my "Greatest Swordfight" collage.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

ravic

BLAKDUKE

BubbleWright

Trouble For Two aka The Suicide Club made in 1936. From 1929 through the 1930's Robert Montgomery made between 3 and 6 movies a year, starring with almost every major movie star, both male and female. The following is a synopsis of the movie:

Prince Florizel of Cordovia and Princess Brenda of Irania are promised in marriage, but the idea appeals to neither of them. The King sends his son to London, incognito, to cool his heels. He is accompanied by the faithful Colonel Geraldine who is entrusted with his care. After meeting a mysterious woman aboard ship who just as mysteriously dissappears, Prince Florizel finds himself involved in a bizarre underground "Suicide Club" and an elaborate assasination plot. Entertaining black comedy with Montgomery turning in a credible performance and Russell registering a little wooden, but still good.

The above info was taken from a website dedicated to Robert Montgomery- http://www.earlofhollywood.com/
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

This past Monday evening, I happened upon the silent version, starring Lon Chaney, in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" on Turner Classic Movies. It was the 1926 Silent version. I loved it! I had forgotten the beauty and wonder of the silent films.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Merlin the Elder

If you are ever in NYC near Halloween, there's an Episcopal church in Manhattan, Cathedral of St John the Divine, that hosts an annual extravaganza and Procession of Ghouls. Part of the event is the showing of old silent horror movies in the sanctuary. We went one year and saw Phantom of the Opera (also with Lon Chaney), and they had an old organist who played the original score on their pipe organ. It's a fabulous way to watch an old movie!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

BLAKDUKE

Merlin:

That sounds awesome.

Blakduke