News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Question about supposedly "adult" children

Started by Mairte, November 24, 2010, 04:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mairte

The past couple of weeks have been kind of rocky at this household. Short story, my 18 year old daughter took off because she didnt want to abide by the rules under my roof. Until today I really didnt know where she was and still dont know where she was until she turned up at her sisters (my oldest daughter).
How do you just let go? I know I have to for my sanity. And I guess I havent done too badly. I keep reminding myself "She is 18.She is not living with you. Its not your life." Which doesnt mean I will stop giving advice! ;D
Right now I am placing a "parents curse" on the whelp that she will have kids EXACTLY LIKE HER! ;)

Merlin the Elder

You never completely let go. You're a parent, and regardless of what they do, you're still going to love them.  And, you will help them if they come to you, if you can.  Our son is 36.  He's doing pretty well, but I still worry about him. I help him with things as I can.  It just never goes away.

She will notice you getting a lot smarter the older she gets, too  ;)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

angusmacinnes

We sold the kids bedroom furniture off and made a sewing room out of the bedroom to ensure they didnt come back.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Lady Kett

Hugs Mairte! No advice or other thoughts, just some hugs. Hang in there.

Mairte

Yeah,Merlin, I guess you are right about not completely letting go. I am 45 and my mom still worries about ME. ::) :)  I do the best I can with my kids though she was the last one in the "nest" the other four having left some time before.
Angus, well I do have plans for that room. ;) Though with three extra bedrooms now I think I could have as many sewing rooms...or in my case, libraries. More room for books! :D
Thanks Lady Kett! I needed that. I was about sick with relief when my oldest daughter called.

Merlin the Elder

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Mairte

angusmacinnes

Merlin, I slept since then so I sure dont remember it. LOL.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.