News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Who has seen the new Harry Potter movie?

Started by ladybootlegger, November 26, 2010, 10:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladybootlegger

First of all, I completely acknowledge that I'm a rather harsh judge on the HP movies, and their lack of even attempting to follow the books. That being said, I am hesitant to go see the new movie. But I hear that "it is the best one yet."

Have any of you seen it? Is it worth the obnoxious crouds at the theatre?
I'm the one going to Hell, you were only watching.
~Billy Connolly

Alphonse

Not sure if it is or not but I intend to brave the crowds this weekend to find out! It takes something this big to drag me out into the holiday rigamaroll! ;D

Zardoz

I was by my local mall theater this morning and there was a huge line of Potterheads.
I can't comment on the film, haven't seen it, or any other HP movie  ::)
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Lairde Guardn

I am not sure who gave it the rating "the best one yet" it must have been teenagers that thought the Twilight series deserved the acadamy award.

I personally thought it was the worst of the potter movies ranked last of the first 7. 
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

serenamoonsilver

I will say that if you are going for closest to the books, it is pretty close.   I don't know if I'd call it the worse one yet (that's still #4 for me).  However, since its the first half of the last book it is a lot of exposition and can seem a little slow in places.   I did love the animated telling of the 3 Brothers though.

Becky10

Before I start I would like to say I hate twilight with every bit of me and would have walked out of the theater when forced to see it but was prevented. It needs to be destroyed.
That said. I think this was one of the best movies. Its probably the closest to the book and is a really good set up to the second movie. I was afraid it was going to be draggy as most of the major stuff happens in the second part but they managed to keep it entertaining. There wasnt an overload of excitement(which i think was part of the appeal to me) but it does get you surprisingly hyped up for the second movie. in it There were some parts where i was dying cause i was laughing so hard but there were some parts where i started thinking "this is getting a bit long". I also loved how they did the 3 brothers it was a nice change from the typical Harry Potter filming style.
Its definitely worth seeing af far as I am concerned.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Lady Rebecca

It is definitely the best yet. It is the closest one to the books since the first two movies, but it still feels like a blockbuster movie like they've tried to do with the other failures (imo). It truly is wonderful, and I hope to see it again this week.

Lairde McCrack, why did you dislike it so much? And please don't lump Potter fans with Twilight crazies. Twilight sucks.

ArielCallista

Its definitely the best yet, and is the most book accurate...but remember its a "part one" it doesn't really have an end...it just stops at a cliff hanger-ish part...the sort of "to be continued" moment...I'm sure once part 2 comes out and you can watch both in a row it will make more sense and be even better
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Lady Neysa

SPOILER ALERT!!   Ladybootlegger,  I loved the movie! I'm going to give some specific details so it'll help you decide if it's worth seeing. DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!  Skip to the P.S.

I know some people will criticize any movie that doesn't follow the book to the last detail.  I don't think that makes it a bad movie unless they cut or change something really important. Yes, some things were changed and some scenes omitted. I don't feel it was a detriment to the story.  They can't include every little detail, or the movie will be too long.  I loved how they started the opening scene  with Hermione erasing her parents memories and leaving, just before the opening credits.  I felt it set the tone for how dangerous and dire the story was about to get, and illustrates how it isn't "all about Harry". They are all suffering and making sacrifices.  They could have easily cut out this scene but I'm glad they didn't. They didn't include the "goodbye" scene with the Dursleys, except for a few seconds of them getting in the car.  In the book, during the flying chase, Hedwig was in her cage and mad at Harry, but in the movie, she was flying free, and trying to save him.  Harry and Hagrid crash landed at Tonk's parent's house, not the burrow. No mention that I remember of "the ghoul in the attic". During Bill and Fleur's wedding, if I'm remembering correctly, I think Harry was disguised in the book, but in the movie he wasn't. I LOVED that they kept the scene where George gets hurt, and was joking about being "saintlike and hole-y".  The 3 brothers scene was nicely done, as was Dobby's tearjerker death scene.  The cutoff cliffhanger was done in just the right spot. 

To sum up, I thought it was fantastic, and I really want to see it again.  Can't wait for part 2! 

P.S. -Not to take the thread in a different direction, but  since some of you brought up Twilight, I can't resist sharing this with you! (I happen to like Twilight, but to each his own.)  This is a funny clip of some talk show personality teaching foreign actors to speak "American", featuring Dan,Rupert,Emma,and Tom.  Pretty funny.  ;D    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Tf4ipBck0

Alphonse

Went and saw it today, I was satisfied with it and am looking forward to seeing Part two...

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I am anxious to see this, as I have all 6 of the HP series in my DVD collection.

AS for the TWILIGHT series, I loved the books and the films. I have had a love affair with Vampires for 45 years now since the campy DARK SHADOWS.

TWILIGHT does not suck!! It's just not for everyone, as are the HP books and films.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Alphonse

Fair enough, but the idea of "good" vampires is a hard concept for me wrap my mind around.  ;D

Lairde Guardn

I actually was "bored" during the movie.  Although some parts were good, exciting and humerous, the long and drawn out "running and hiding in the tent" could have been done a lot faster.   Also not a  big fan of the teenage "angst" being stretched out in the script which is all "twilight" seems to be.   Overall, I thought the movie was very poor and without part two, does not stand alone.   Thus my rating of the "worst" of the 7.
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Mairte

I havent seen it yet, but definitely plan to. As far as Twilight, the books were okay and the movies I was pretty neutral on.

Becky10

A lot of the Harry potter themes are teen angst as that was its target original audience.
I really want to see it again by myself and see if I still enjoy it as much, when i first went I was with a group and we were all pretty hyper... This was also one of the only books that I had read before seeing the movie.

Has anyone else noticed this trend of shaky camera shots? It seems to be popping up more and more and I get what they're aiming for by shooting it like that but I seriously cant look at the screen when it does that or i get really dizzy. They had it when Harry is in the marshy area and I think another part as well. I am really hoping they dont have too much of it in the next movie.

And to the Twilight fans, sorry for venting my hate so much but I think once you have to go through high school when it reached the top of its fame can really harden you to it, also they casted two of my most hated actors as leads...
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on