News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pricing a discounted Item

Started by LadyStitch, December 02, 2010, 09:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

I've got a couple pieces I'm going to be selling soon.  Here is my problem.  When I made them i wasn't half the seamstersses that I am now, and 90% of the fabric for the items I got major discounts on because I worked at the fabric store.

Example: Let's say I have a doublet I got the yardage for 1.50 a yard instead of the $8 a yard it would have cost, and then the trims I had gotten from a garage sale for like a $1.  Total supplies cost $7.  My time was maybe 4-6  hours and I wasn't that great a seamstess.  So maybe...$10 an hour. So, would it be unreasonable to charge $50-70 for it, or am I undercutting myself?
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Sounds about right, Lady Stitch. At elast recoup your expenses from that time.

Having the experience now, you see the difference in workmanship from that time as well.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

LadyStitch

Heh if I made that doublet now it be double that at least LOL. 

Ok, Lady Kathleen , thanks for the advice.  I was just worried that I was was undercutting myself. Still a $50 doublet isn't a bad deal, even it made 10 years ago before I got really good. :)
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.