News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Techniques on Your To-Do List?

Started by gem, December 20, 2010, 02:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Someone started a thread like this on Pattern Review, and I thought it was a terrific idea! But the techniques they're discussing over there (bound buttonholes, welt pockets, tailored menswear) aren't really applicable to garb or historical costume, so I thought I'd start a thread just for us!

The things I really wanted to do in 2010 were machine eyelets, cartridge pleating and cording a bodice. I'm proud to say I did all of them, even if the projects I learned them for didn't get finished! I also learned to fit a supportive bodice on myself, I sewed with velvet for the first time (using my walking foot, also a new technique for me), and I drafted a pattern with princess seams.

Techniques I'd love to try, either this year or eventually:
1.) Piping--trimming out a gown with piping or cord
2.) Guards
3.) Gored skirt panels
4.) Integrating my hand-embroidery into my garb (I want to make an embroidered camicia)
5.) Continue to improve my fitting skills

LadyStitch

Let's see what have I learned this year....

• I learned how to adjust a pattern to accommodate a very odd fitting requirement. (IE raise the shoulders on a dress so that it can be worn by a head less Anne Bolin)
  • How to do a full abdomen adjustment so that there is no wrinkles in a large gentleman's arm hole.
  • Learned how to work with pleather, and boy was that fun.  :o
  • Learned how to draft a tall collar on a dress.
  • Used boning to make a queen Elizabeth style collar stand up
  • Using fake fur to make full garments, instead of just trim
  • How to drape a pleated skirt to make very very full petticoats
What do I want to learn...
  • Continue refining my fitting skills
  • Work on more intricate tailoring skills for pirate coats
  • Continue to work on my hand sewing so it is finer, and less likely to be noticed

As for anything else?  Who knows what will be thrown at me in the coming year.  ;D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Lady Rebecca

This year, I learned
-how to make something reversible
-how to do men's tailoring (specifically, men's tailoring on a man with a huge stomach with only his measurements to go off, since he was over 3000 miles away)
-how to line a frock coat
-how to do cartridge pleating
-how to do box pleating
-how to do hand-beading
-how to do hand-binding

Next year, one thing I know I will have to do is to draft my own pattern in order to make my 17th century bodice. I'm pretty sure it will be completely trial and error until I can get the seams all in the right places.