News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Home Made yogurt

Started by Auryn, December 28, 2010, 09:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

For Christmas this year I got a snazzy yogurt maker from william sonoma that I have been looking at for almost a year.

I am all excited to make yogurt but I don't have any starter on hand and they didn't have any at william sonoma when I went on Sunday.

Anyone have any well versed recipes that don't require a yogurt starter??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Trillium

Maybe check a health food store for a starter?
Got faerie dust?

Bob of the Lake

You can also use plain commercial yogurt from the grocery store to "start" yours. The key thing is that the yogurt you use for a starter has to be made with live active cultures. Look for the words "with active cultures" or "live active cultures" on the container. I think Activa and Danactive are two such brands. There are probably others too.  Good luck!
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Anna Iram

My dad used to make homemade yogurt. So good! I know you can use plain ( look for organic) yogurt as a starter, but you should be able to buy actual starter at any whole foods or healthfoods shop. Probably less expensive than Williams Sonoma too.

Anna Iram

So how'd the yogurt turn out, Auryn?  :)