News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

to engrave or not?

Started by Auryn, February 28, 2011, 11:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

I need to bounce this off of someone/somewhere.
I do laser cutting and engraving as my business.

Part of my clientele is aviation- I engrave the grips they use to fly the planes.
I don't do many- a handful a year.
I have a customer that just sent me his and unfortunately he sent it with all the cabling still attached.

I have had his box in my office for a week apprehensive at opening it.
For some reason I just keep feeling like I am going to screw it up- even if it didnt still have all the cableing on it.

The crux is that if I have to replace his grip its about $250 to get a new one.

Would it be very unprofessional of me to return it to him and explain that I just don't feel comfortable for whatever reason??
Of course I would refund all his money.

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

William_MacKean

Don't you carry insurance to cover replacement costs?  Things Remembered has a policy and it covers them for $300 per piece.

Auryn

Im a little bitty self employed shop.
I haven't ever considered getting insurance for something like that, wouldn't even know who to call.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

The Rabbi

Insurance is never a bad idea but I do understand the cost and effectiveness of being a small shop. My suggestion would be to contact the customer and inform him/her that it is not customary to include cabling etc on the part to be engraved and you are not comfortable with risking damage to said componet. Choice A he/she can relieve you of the said responsability. Choice B Return componet so that cabling can be removed and then returned for engraving. Choice C Item can be returned with full refund.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Auryn

Thanks for the advice,
both of you.
Sometimes its just nice to bounce information off of other people and see what their sound mines come up with.

I emailed the customer and outlined the different options he has.
We will see what he says.

thanks