News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tricks, Tips & Tools for Box Pleating?

Started by NicoleBridget, April 05, 2011, 10:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicoleBridget

I'm making a shift and I want to do a box pleated frill on the cuffs.  It's killing me how exact it is and how easy it is to create uneven pleats!  Are there any tips and tricks you can offer on how to create perfect box pleats?

isabelladangelo

Take a yard stick and mark every inch.   If you want one inch box pleats, have the 3" mark as your center.  Fold on the 2" mark towards the 3", so that the 1" and 3" marks are touching.  To finish the box pleat, fold on the 4" so you have the 3", 1", and now the 5" mark touching.  Continue on in this fashion. 

iain robb

When I've box-pleated a kilt before, I made a pleating jig. I took a stiff piece of cardboard, cut it to the width of the pleat, and made a vertical line down the middle. I cut it long enough to almost go from end to end.

Then it's simply a matter of ...

1) Figure out where your pleats start, and set that edge at the center line.
2) Fold the fabric all the way around the cardboard and back to the center line. Put a pin in the gap at the top, for your cuffs. I put a pin at the top and bottom for a box-pleated kilt.
3) Extract the cardboard and use it to measure and mark the edge of the next pleat, and go back to step 1.

NicoleBridget

Genius!  You're a genius!  I was trying to think up a tool like that, now I can't wait to try your idea.  Thanks to you both!