News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Whatcha got?

Started by Merlin, April 29, 2011, 04:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Hey good people of Colorado.... there are some tiny secrets about our faire here at Scarborough.... some things not added to the web site and I was wondering if you guys could give a little insight to the CORF?

DRINK MEMBERSHIPS:Here...they check your ID and give you a sticker...that way you don't have to keep showing your ID. Do they require any sort of membership in Colorado?

BEERS AND LIQUOR: Is there a wide selection of beers or do they only have Coors...being Colorado and all... lol. Also... any place for mixed drinks?

FOOD: Is there an actual sit down restaurant type place that serves great meat pie and shepherds pie?

PRE-CANON TAILGATE: We have row 8. Most of us regulars are what is called "Friends of Faire" and are given front row parking... we always gather on row 8 for morning treats such as mimosas and breakfast pastries usually starting about 90 minutes before canon. Is there a place that you guys do that?

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Widget

Quote from: Merlin on April 29, 2011, 04:58:20 PM
Hey good people of Colorado.... there are some tiny secrets about our faire here at Scarborough.... some things not added to the web site and I was wondering if you guys could give a little insight to the CORF?

DRINK MEMBERSHIPS:Here...they check your ID and give you a sticker...that way you don't have to keep showing your ID. Do they require any sort of membership in Colorado?

BEERS AND LIQUOR: Is there a wide selection of beers or do they only have Coors...being Colorado and all... lol. Also... any place for mixed drinks?

FOOD: Is there an actual sit down restaurant type place that serves great meat pie and shepherds pie?

PRE-CANON TAILGATE: We have row 8. Most of us regulars are what is called "Friends of Faire" and are given front row parking... we always gather on row 8 for morning treats such as mimosas and breakfast pastries usually starting about 90 minutes before canon. Is there a place that you guys do that?

Lets see....

Drink memberships: no you have to show id each time, there is a descent selection, but i havent explored it yet as i just started having drinks at faire last year

Food: huge selection of food but no sit down restaurants, there are tables and picnic areas, irs more of a quick service type thing, foods that you can hold and walk around with, but very tasty

Pre-cannon tailgating: you cant have grills because most of Colorado is under a fire ban, but i have seen people having pre faire snacks and such. dunno what the rule about alcohol is...

CapnJack

Yeah... unfortunately, the short answer to most of this is: No.

Coors is a sponsor, so they exclusively serve only Coors products (I think even on beer-tasting weekends).  Coors likes to say, "if you serve our beer you can't serve anyone else's."  Not just at the faire, either.  It makes Golden an interesting town to live in, beer-wise, since it's the home of the Coors brewery, but also rich in microbrews.  But I digress.

Far as mixed drinks go, I'm afraid I don't actually know... but I'm guessing probably not.  I don't do a lot of drinking at faire, so I'm really not sure.  The only other adult beverage I can remember definitely being served, off the top of my head, is cider.  Woodchuck?  I think it's Woodchuck... but I could be wrong about that.

As for food, Widget has it nailed.  Nothing more to say there, really.

And regarding the tailgating, I don't think there's any reason one could NOT do it, however I don't know of any specific place or group of people.
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Merlin the Elder

Only serve Coors??!? No beer??!?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

CapnJack

Nope.  No "real" beer.
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Merlin

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on April 29, 2011, 06:55:33 PM
Only serve Coors??!? No beer??!?

This makes me sad.

Dad...we had better bring multiple flasks. I don't do Coors.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Merlin the Elder

I'm glad to hear that, boy...you learned well!

Norfolk

Good questions, Wizard.  Here's my take:

Being a proper nobleman, I drink beer only under duress -- it makes my clothes shrink.  However, I do know that there is more to be had at CoRF than Coors and Coors lite.  To my certain knowledge, there is Bud and Bud lite.  Also, I seem to remember a couple of darker brews (Killian's???).  There are also a couple or three varieties of meade, red wine and white wine.  For the anachronistically inclined, there are frozen margaritas and daiquiris.  As for mixed drinks, Captain Morgan's and perhaps other hard booze is available at the Pirate's Pub.  Finally, there is a stand that sells Uncle Mike's Hard Lemonade. 

There are no sit-down eateries, but the food is remarkably varied.  Although there's nothing to compare to Scarby's italian gourmet eatery, there's something for nearly every taste as long as it doesn't involve fresh fruit or vegetables. 

Pre-canon tailgate:  I will to defer to Spleen on this topic.

Just call me "Your Grace"

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Beer: Sadly everyone hit it. Coors Products. Killians is as far from Coors as a Coors products gets and the ONLY Coors product next to Blue Moon which is the one they sample and is a good beer dispite it being part of Coors. Sadly if I had a fair it would be serving New Belgium brewery. As NB is one of the top 5 in the US beating out Bud and Coors and it's a Micro made in Fort Collins with a REAL Live Belgium Brew Master. They win Internatonal compitetions all the time... IU am beginning to sound like I work for them. Well I tried, but I do go there often to taste the new brews they have. And I would agree... i do not do Coors. They do serve 2 or 3 flavors of Mikes Hard in a plastic bottle as our Baron mentioned

Tail-Gate: No Friends of faire. its get there when you get there and park where they tell you. get there by 9AM and you can be rest assured you will be in the first 3 rows if not closer. best thing to do is just disignate a spot
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

CapnJack

Aye, heartily agreed about New Belgium!  Gotta love some Fat Tire... mmmmm....

And of course, I totally forgot about the Mike's kiosk, as well as the rum being sold at the Pirate's Pub (I know, I know, sad, right?  I should really be the one person who knows EXACTLY where the rum is  :D)

Other than that though, the Baron's info is quite good to know!  Although I don't remember ever seeing Bud products... I should definitely go seeking out the mead sometime though.  This whole alcohol thing is a new concept to me (being previously of a teetotalling mindset), haha.

-Mark Twain

Merlin the Elder

I'm sure I will survive regardless. Most important is visiting with friends, making the new acquaintances, and returning to see Colorado again after a long absence.

Francisco Paula

now i will be having a few flasks of loki i made with me. Now they arn't as good as the stuff from the experts down south but they are always good to wet the whistle when you need it.

Merlin the Elder

Well, Sir Garath, I'd be beholding to you. I've yet to sample Loki. I'll be traveling with my dear friend Lord Jackson Daniels as well.

Ms Trish

I'll vouch the frozen margaritas are tasty!
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Merlin the Elder

Now that on a hot day might be pretty good. I could be swayed...