News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Reasons to vote for our faire...

Started by LadyJessica, June 14, 2008, 10:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyJessica

Campaigning

The followings posts were written by the planners of the faires that we are voting on this year.

Please remember that this is a locked thread and if you have any questions please ask the person that wrote the post or one of the other planners.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

LadyJessica

MARYLAND RENAISSANCE FESTIVAL - August 22 - October 18, 2009
http://www.rennfest.com/
Planners: Scotsman, Lady_Glorianna, Lady Guinness, Lupa, Sir Dragon, analise, Peddlin, Lairde Guardn MCrack, Count Adolfo

Where would we be without our friends & family ... T'is the eternal question is it not? Well, one great place I always look for my friends & family is the Maryland Renaissance Festival (MDRF), where I always feel like I am home, as will you.

I took the liberty of soliciting several faire folk and contributors of this forum to tell me what makes MDRF special and why we are the place to come home to! Here are just some great reasons why MDRF is so special.

- Number 1 faire in the country for the second year in a row as per Renaissance PodCast voting
- MDRF grounds have been repeatedly described as one of the most beautiful faires in the country
- Many of MDRF stage acts aren't part of "the circuit", thus the only place you're likely to see these acts are at MDRF
- MDRF is a "no hat" faire – saving you more money for shopping!
- Over 130 craft shops and 42 food outlets sitting in 25 acres of the Tudor Village we affectionately call Revel Grove
- MDRF will be turning 33 years old this year
- Regular admission price still below $20, Group rates are available
- MDRFers are some of the friendliest people and our morning tailgates totally rock! (thanks Analise)
- The fest has some truly amazing acts and is "big" enough to pull in some "big" names (i.e. Medieaval Baebes, Albanach)
- The size of the fest also means we can accommodate any size group of Rennies descending. Plenty of parking (free!), plenty of nice shady spots and seats at our many pubs. Lots to see and do and places to have gatherings during the Faire-day
- Full contact Jousting
- MDRF Lundegaard guilds are among the most active of any in the nation
- Depending on what weekend is picked, R/Fers will have a year+ from the end of the voting period to save money for faire and to make arrangements (Aug – Oct)
- Faire is based on Henry VIII and by 2009 we will probably be at his sixth wife Catherine Parr
*For more information about MDRF visit our website www.rennfest.com

I think Dallan said it best,
"I'm sure you'll get a lot of input on MDRF size, quality and quantity of vendors and acts etc. However I would also recommend something of equal importance...the people. The warmth shared by the people I have met is fantastic. We have been slowly meeting more people and are always greeted the same way. I've popped around other forums and have never seen the welcome to a stranger the way one is welcomed to MDRF; both on the forum and at faire. No question we have wonderful people involved."

Thank you Dallan, you and your family have been valued friends and we are happy that you are part of our faire family.

Other things to consider about MDRF is that our season starts a little later than other which would give travelers a chance to save money for up to a year in preparation for Rendevous (Aug – Oct).
MDRF is within a stones throw of Historic Annapolis (Capitol of MD), not to mention wedged nicely between our Nations Capitol, Washington, DC (20 miles) and Baltimore, MD (25 miles).
Considering the proximity to these major cities it affords travelers extended opportunities outside of faire to take in any number of tourist attractions.
Our location lends access to three major International airports, BWI, Regan National and Dulles.
Because of the above, lodging is limitless, there is nothing shy of budget to high class lodging, camping (8 miles) to castles – we have it all.

Yes, we love our faire ... and we are sure that you will too. We treat every weekend like an invasion weekend at MDRF and our Labor Day gatherings are without a doubt legendary! I don't know what else to say but WELCOME!

Come to MDRF and make some faire memories with us. MDRF, your always home here!
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP

LadyJessica

RENAISSANCE PLEASURE FAIRE OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - April 4 - May 17, 2009
http://www.renfair.com/socal/
Planners: Luciana, Lavender, Blushing

I would never have gotten involved with faire had it not been for the amazing people - now friends and family - that I have found at the Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire.

And I realize that many of the people here on the boards live in the Eastern portion of the United States, a trip west is worth it.  Here is a chance to not only enjoy a marvelous faire, but enjoy a marvelous faire with marvelous people from all over the country if RENdevous meets at the Pleasure Faire.  The California board may be quiet compared to others, but such a large part of that is because they have long had other ways of connecting - through guilds, Friends of Faire or other online communities.

The Pleasure Faire has a long history - it's been moved on several occasions - but always offers a fanastic places to play.  Many simply call it "Big Faire" since it is one of the largest faires in California, and it is also known as the ORIGINAL Renaissance faire.  (Disclaimer: As a journalist I think I should say that I have yet to verify that claim - I'm generally too busy enjoy the faire to dig up a date and compare it to other festivals).

The Pleasure Faire is my home, and my days I've spent there rank among my favorite memories.  And there are so many reasons to visit ... among them:

- Passion. Passion drives this faire.  Some street players, gate greeters, farewell sayers, information givers and rgoundskeepers are all volunteers through Friends of Faire.  They go through garb approval - the costume nazi herself no less!  And take classes on language, history and improv, among others.  They give their time and effort into making every faire visit the best it can be - for every patron whether in garb or not.

- Setting.  The faire takes place in Port Deptford, a port town, and Queen Elizabeth holds court.  A port opens doors for countless characters and gigs ... pirates too of course.

- Music.  The Poxy Boggards, Merry Wives of Windsor and Belles of Bedlam call this faire home.  (Their songs are certainly NOT recommended for young ears.)  And they rarely - if ever - venture from the west coast. But there are other musicians as well.  Tartanic and Pwain Phyfe are just a few who have played on the Pleasure Faire's stages.

- Players. Sound and Fury (billed as Fakespearean players, you will laugh until you hurt) ... MooNie and Broon ... Hanlon-Lees Jousting Knights and Steeds ... Merry Misfits of Doom ... Washing Well Wenches ... a whip master ... knife and sword shows ... and entertainments from different cultures - it changes from year to year, but the faire has hosted Mayan Dancers, China's Lion Dance and South American martial arts and dance.

- Pageantry.  This really doesn't capture all the life that the characters on cast and the guilds bring to the faire.  There's the queen, there's Shakeaspeare, another playright, the brew master, the members of court, the portmaster ... and many others.  There are guilds and groups, including MacColin, St. Andrews, the Fools, the Italians, Gentlemen Adventurers, Danse Macabre.  All are willing to teach about history and/or play in the streets.

- Vendors. I think everyone enjoy's a little shopping.  That means there's enough jewelry, baskets, every manner of garb, goblets and tankards, sharp pointed objects, art, glass (including great bodice chillers), pottery, leather for all of RF.com to find something.  Some big names, like Pendragon and Oberon, and other small shoppes that you won't find at other faires.

- Weather.  The faire runs April and May, and that usual means warm, sunny with a few clouds.  And weather in Southern California generally doesn't change drastically from day to day.

- Other attractions.  Well, it IS Southern California!  True, faire only lasts three days, but make a long vacation of it.  There's Disneyland in Anaheim; the Legoland, world-class zoo and wild animal park in San Diego; Hollywood adventures and history in, well Hollywood; Universal Studios in Universal City; and a mass of musuems, including the Getty and LACMA (Los Angeles Museum of Art), with the largest collection of mosaics in the world.  And beaches, of course.  Mountains as well.

Other notes: The freeway system in Southern California can't be beat.  You don't need a talking GPS to find your way around.  Everything is labled, and there are several airports to choose from.  The biggest are LAX (Los Angeles International) and ONT (LA/Ontario International Airport).  ONT is smaller and easier to deal with that LAX, and I think it is closer to the faire at the Sante Fe Sam Recreation Area.

I'm sure I can't really do justice to the Pleasure Faire, it takes a visit.  But some of my photos from this year (I must admit that they are a bit more me-centric) are online at http://picasaweb.google.com/blushingbiggins/April2008BigFaire and the Pleasure Faire's Web site is at http://www.renfair.com/socal/index.php
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP