News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Cast Changes

Started by groomporter, June 13, 2011, 09:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

Expect some changes in the performing cast. Latest word is that the Mayor's Entourage and Terpsichory as groups are being cut from the cast, (no word if the Mayor is staying on as a solo character) as well as some performing groups yet to be announced. I assume it's part of Carr's plan to reorganize the cast.

In my own experience the one year I had a individual contract as clergy, I ended up falling in with a group of other guys playing clergy because I just wasn't that strong an actor to really do the solo bit I had created. So I understand how groups can become havens for cast members who don't do that much.

But I think well-led performing groups can also be a way to mentor new cast members, so I'm worried the baby may be going out with the bath water in some cases.

When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

groomporter

BTW my source was one of the members of the Mayor's Entourage who posted it on her Facebook page.

In a more positive light there seems to be some action on the Ten Seconds of Harmony site
http://www.tensecondsofharmony.com/

saphire_glade

Was the source for both Mayor's and Terpsichory?

I know the Terps have been practicing for the season and just had one new member taken in so is it possible they haven't been told yet?
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

groomporter

Yup it was from the same person.

Kiss-me-Kate

I understand them wanting to change things up a bit to keep things fresh.  Just hope they don't swing the ax too hard and we lose everyone.   I think we have great street cast, provided they don't all rely on being a "kooky/eccentric " character.  Then we just have a village of kooky/eccentric characters.

The peasants are wonderful!  I hope they keep them.  They were at Chippewa this weekend, and looked like they were having a great time interacting with everyone.   Not sure if they were there for fun, or were asked to come.   We need more of that.  

It is also my understanding that the owner is hoping to rely more on the playtrons.  I have mixed feelings about this.  While I love to share my love of Fest with others, and to pass on some magic to little ones if I can, I don't want that to be a burden either.  I don't think it is right of him to expect people who pay to attend, pay for entertainment, garb, food and drink at HIS fair should have to carry that load either.  Especially if it is unbeknowst to them.
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

groomporter

The Artistic Director has said he has a (2? year) plan to make it more of a "professional" cast that relies on a higher number of paid street characters with clearer expectations and better training.

He feels a lot of the street characters with volunteer contracts are there more for the after hours parties than for entertaining the customers. His plan would be to still use some volunteer actors, but they probably won't get campground space and he has even said he might not want them on site after hours. He has said they would have to audition, but might be treated more like an "advanced season pass holder"/playtron. At least that's what he was kicking around as of November 2010

groomporter

Bill Peltzman (The Mayor) just confirmed
" the lord mayor and his entourage. They are no more."

escherblacksmith

Quote from: Kiss-me-Kate on June 13, 2011, 01:02:32 PM

Then we just have a village of kooky/eccentric characters.

From those I have known over the years, in character and out, that pretty much describes the faire in its entirety.

--

Kiss-me-Kate

Ya think?    :D

GP-that plan makes a little sense.  Maybe I am getting old.
It seems to me most of the after hours parties that i have attended seem to be organized charity events/dregs in the dark/talent show type of stuff.   Most of us older folgie  adults have a beer or two, visit a bit,  buy their ticket to a raffle/or five bucks for a pin etc. and go home. 
Or they are private parties at a specific booth, where it is low key and everyone goes home/to the campground after a few.

I will also agree that SOME of the cast needs some direction, and the "herd" needed to be thinned a bit.  Some characters out there were awful, and it frustrated me that they got a way IN, and it took a spot for someone who may have been much better.

And the trouble making offenders don't need a pass for after hours.   If they can't get their Fest on in the ten hours we are open, then that is their problem.  I know I can, and most of the people I have ever worked with or hung out there could too.  ( I am speaking generally here, not specific to certain days/nights  ;) :D )

I think Carr's biggest hurdle (besides the drama and whining that is going to ensue) is dispelling some myths about faire.   (The Orgy we have every weekend etc.   ;) -still have yet to find that myself.)
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

groomporter

Yeah I think it has possibilities, but I'm worried about how many talented veterans we might lose in the transition.

saphire_glade

Those after hours parties... they are more of the CKC kids and some of the booths. Most of the actors themselves die after a day, and after 2 we are certainly zombie like. Then again maybe that is just my group, I personally can't make it up to many "parties" after a day of entertaining. I know if you don't work hard then you have the energy. But at the same time if I manage to get enough pixie sticks in me it is nice for me to have after hours to interact with my fellow actors who aren't hip high and actually talk about what I want to. 

There are some who need to go, but for the most part I think they are aiming at the wrong targets. I realize that the booths are hard work, but I happen to know that my husband who works for the fencing booth certainly looks the part of a slacker actor, but he only works 1/2 the day then goes to sit around, talk, eat, and watch shows with fellow boothies, who also look like slacker actors. They need to thin the performers a bit *I have a few that I wonder how much work they really do all day* and know who is a performer so they can see how hard we work as opposed to lumping in people who are boothies or well dress playtrons.

And I agree... playtrons should not be expected to fill gaps. They paid to be there, they should have no responsibility but to have a good time semi responsibly. I am not "paid" to be there, but I signed my contract which makes me promise to be up there and entertain during my day and in turn I get food. But if I pay to get in you bet your sweet booty that I am not working to entertain anyone unless I have worked it out with my fans to do just that.

Oh and GP: It was a 3 year plan and this was his year of don't worry nothing is going to change or at least that is how he made it sound at the end of last year.
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

Prof. John Bull

It is my hope that Terpsichory may return in some fashion on a volunteer contract.  I have occasionally sat in on their rehearsals and provided music for their non-fest gigs, and I know they work hard and have talent and, in many cases, extensive formal training in dance.

It is my observation that, despite their careful, artistic, energetic performances, and accurate period costuming, the fest crowds showed little interest in their show.

groomporter

As a booth owner I can't help but agree that some of the booth helpers are probably more of a problem after hours than cast with volunteer contracts. Heck I wonder how many of the volunteer cast even stay in the campground these days.

Kiss-me-Kate

Jewel, you hit it right on the head.   I think it is a much younger base of "troublemakers" that I HOPE the Director is targeting his wrath if you will,  to get rid of.  As a "boothie" some days, and a playtron the days I don't work.  I don't want to worry about entertaining someone.
I do not have the talent the performers do, but I think we boothies put on a "good show" most of the time.  However, beyond my basic few lines to draw in customers, or  to delight a four year old and show him/her the magic of Fest, or trade sarcastic comments with adults, that is the about how much responsibility that I want.
GP- I hope the truly talented veterans, he keeps.  But there are  few more he can get rid of completely that no one would notice.  I could give him a list.  LOL   ;)

I also think perhaps Mr. Director instilled a little fear to force some to punch up their stale act a little. They have had since last fall to think about how to polish things up.  If they are truly as good or as professional as they want to be, stepping up and showing Mr. Director he is wrong shouldn't be a problem.

I think also, this Fest needs to advertise the fact that a couple of their acts have been on AGT.   I know. roll your eyes, but patrons would eat that up with a spoon.  Even I endured a horrible episode last week hoping to see my Dreggy peeps on there.

~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

DeadBishop

Quote from: Kiss-me-Kate on June 13, 2011, 01:02:32 PM

It is also my understanding that the owner is hoping to rely more on the playtrons.  

Wouldn't that be like firing all the employees at Saks 5th Avenue and expecting the customers of Walmart to fill their shoes?  ::)  ;D  :D

R/F.com member since 2003